Kite surfing the Irish sea.....

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Misk
Regular

Kite surfing the Irish sea.....

Post by Misk »

Hi Folks,

Many of you will know Martin Sandwith (aka Marra ), a great pilot and kite surfer. Within the next few days, he and a group of intrepid adventurers are going to attempt the first ever crossing of the Irish Sea by Kite Surfer. Dave Thomson got roped into helping to guess the best day which will give the specific conditions they need to make the crossing - and its looking like Monday is the one !

Full details of the trip at http://kitesurfirishsea.co.uk/

Apart from the challenge, one of the aims of the adventure is to raise money for NSPCC and the RNLI - If you would like to support them, there's a button on the website.

A worthy pair of causes I know I had a fantastic rescue response a couple of years ago at Crimdon..........

Have a look and be generous!

PS any of you experts out there have any tips for learning to kite surf - I'm looking t options schools etc.....Cheers
Ian
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

PS any of you experts out there have any tips for learning to kite surf - I'm looking t options schools etc.....Cheers
Me too. I have an 8 meter kite that was given to me, but no board yet, but I want to learn.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Go somewhere warm and be prepared to eat sand!!!!
I learned on my own, but had years of windsurfing experience, surfing experience and had flown kites with buggies so was on the way in under an hour.
I would get some expert help, because despite the experience I've still taken a few 'exciting' flights!
If they run away with you and down wind isn't comfortable they are brutal beasts! But it's all part of the learning curve, which is the exciting bit.
Make sure you get a modern kite with a de-power and a good safety release which you can confidently use.
Not an expert, but definitely close enough to the bottom of the learning curve to still have the bruises!
I've watched for a long time and I would say that most people make the mistake of jumping on a board in the water to quickly, become confident with a kite first, learn to fly it by feel. Oh, and stay away from offshore winds, unless you can see the other side and the walk back isn't to far.

I'm sure the experts will add a lot more that will make far more sense. Just keep a good sense of humor and have a laugh at yourself
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
peter r
Mingling

kite surfing

Post by peter r »

One of the lads kiting across the Irish Sea runs a school on the west coast. www.euphoriaextreme.com peter r. :)
GlennP
Regular

Lite surf

Post by GlennP »

Might be worth a call to BBC Cumbria and look north for some coverage
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Hay way'ta go the lads for Monday (clap)

Me mate with the gyroplane and me will hopefully be filming their arrival on the west coast, to assist with a professional film what is being made.

Here's the prom of the lads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TCKuNmRwrc

By the way Fraz (Fraser) who runs Euphoria Extreme is a brillaint bloke and great instructor. We used to be in business together doing paintball games and he's and old friend. He teaches in a similar way to myself just charging by the day/session.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i see the kirsty and andrea are still in the thick of it. i used to compete along side them in the good old days.

andrea is one tough cookie, i remember one of my early comps she asked me for some gaffa tape. i presumed it was fo he board or something. no she gaffer taped up her anke that was the sze of a football and continued in the comp.

this was the days when real men flew blades on 2 lines with no depower and no training. i guess like the pionering days of hg you learn by your mistakes as there was not enough people to learn from theres.

one hell of a jjourney but with right conditions should not be too bad as long as you are fit as the speed of a kite and board must exeed 20-25 mph so 6 hours could do the trick. still would be very hard on the leggs an knees hope they have good weather.

cheers gary
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

i remember one of my early comps she asked me for some gaffa tape
I thought you were going to say to put it over yer gob :)

You know I love Ya Gary :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

:D :D :D
That Kirsty could teach me anytime!