GREAT NORTH FLY-IN

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Dave Hume
Chatty

GREAT NORTH FLY-IN

Post by Dave Hume »

Hi Folks

Here's a date for your diary. The biggest fly-in in the north is taking place at Eshott Airfield in Northumberland. Paramotors and powered hang gliders will be most welcome. Hey, if you can find a suitably placed hill with convenient thermals and wind in the right direction you could even free fly to the event. Details below.....

- - - - - - - - - - -

THE GREAT NORTH FLY IN !!!! 22ND/23RD AUGUST 2009

You have all heard of the Great North Run, well now is the first ever 'GREAT NORTH FLY IN', which will take place at Eshott Airfield, Northumberland on the weekend of 22nd/23rd of August 2009. The event will include Microlights/LAA/Giros and Paramotors.

Eshott Airfield details can be found on http://www.eshottairfield.co.uk/

The concept is to get as many flyers of whatever aircraft to attend the event, and to have a lot of fun, especially in the Beer tent! All profits will go to our chosen charity "HELP FOR HEROES".

Storm Smith (Airfield Owner) has kindly offered a no landing fee weekend and we hope to raise some money for our charity supporting our troops wounded/maimed and disfigured on operations in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Attractions to include the following;

Beer tent Bar and BBQ
Live Music
Parachute Display
Aerobatic Display
Aerial Games
Raffle
Camping
Fuel by arrangement (Avgas or Mogas)
Definately no Karaoke!
Good Crack!
We may even have a sponsor!

Paramotors can take off from Stanton Airstrip (6 Miles southwest of Eshott), we should be able to take your tents over to Eshott by vehicle if required etc. Flyers from the deep South or extreme North who wish to travel up/down on the Friday let me know so I can arrange facilities/Camping/food etc.

This is a great opportunity too visit one of the most beautiful counties in England, steeped in history and with one of the most impressive coastlines boasting a multitude of castles, Holy Island and of course our very own Roman Wall.

Further details from Chester on tel no 07941368902
Contact chester potts Contact Details Tel 07941368902
www.eshottairfield.co.uk/
alan westmoreland
Chatty
Full Name: Alan westmoreland

Post by alan westmoreland »

This sounds like a grea idea Dave, just what we need up north as everything seems to be going on down south for me. Had a chat with Chester on the phone and so far i am the only FLPA Hangglider pilot to have entered so it would be great for a group of Northumbrian pilots to attend both hang and para, there must be 8 or 9 power pilots in our club, is anyone else interested???
If the weather is ok, i intend to fly from Peterlee Airfield to Eshot which is 40-50 nautical miles depending on which way east or west, i am open to all ideas though and if weather stops play will just drive up.
Remember the first Great North Run, i did the first one and 7 consecutive ones after that with the best time of 1 hour 19 minutes and just look at how big that has become,,,it would be great to make this an annual thing and it is for a fantastic cause.
Fun, flying, food and hopefully good flying with other like minded folk,,,you can definitely count me in.
happily flying the mosquito/wasp since 2001
GlennP
Regular

Fly in

Post by GlennP »

Hi Alan and Dave,

I would be well up for flying in to this if the weather is OK. I'd love to give it a go from Peterlee on the paramotor if the winds were from the South though I might be asking too much from the weather gods there :wink: .

It'd take me a hour and a half at least and probably most of my fuel but the flight planning of this longer leg with airspace would be useful. If not could always try Dave's suggestion and fly from there.

If the winds are Easterlies is anyone interested in flying from Ashington or Druridge Bay to this? I know we've got a number of PPGers in the club Gary, Neil, Mike B, Bill and a couple of PHGers including Colin Chapman if they are up for it.

Might be an epic with the NHPC squadron flying into the event???
You are only as good as your last flight........
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

Im up for it weather permitting
Do we need to know anything about the airfield
where to land where not to land etc
I HATE COMPUTERS
GlennP
Regular

great NHPC flyin

Post by GlennP »

Hiya Bill,

I had a look at the eshott web page and there are a few restrictions which fingers crossed are attached here.

There are a few no fly zones usually over nimbys houses etc. Avoid.

The circuit height for microlights is 700ft on eshott QFE.

I've got an airband radio and licence so could make the calls if needed. Flying from Peterlee we could fly as far as Hamsterley/Ebchester below 3000ft on Tyne QNH ythen drop down to below 1500ft for the lower CTA step enroute to Stocksfield. Turn NNW at Stocksfield <1500ft to the windfarm near Halingdon Reservoir where we could turn NE for a 15Nm leg to Eshott.

I'd prefer the inland route to the coastal but obviously weather dependant.
GlennP
Regular

nhpc great fly in

Post by GlennP »

A/G radio is on 122.85 so I could make a call and find out on approach which runway is in use and joining details.

Anyone else interested?
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

I'll listen out on the radio for "NHPC Squadron, inbound from the south"
GlennP
Regular

NHPC Sqaudron

Post by GlennP »

:lol:
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

that sounds a bit ambishus to me (is that smelt right ) a short hop in from selbys farm or the coast sounds more dooable
I HATE COMPUTERS
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

what about gary neil and mike brown are you up for it
I HATE COMPUTERS
alan westmoreland
Chatty

change of plan, Dave Humble and myself are just going to go straight to Selby's so we will be flying in from there, i think it will be better flying in as a group rather than as individuals :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i am up for it weather permitting i could fly at doodlebug speed as have new paramotor wing that can fly up to 60kmh as long as wind is ok and its not the best day in the year for free flying keep posted on times etc

cheers gary
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

I have been up to Selbys farm today to check out take off options,
he has fields with downhill slopes for most wind directions and a neighbours farm with a hill would cover the rest.
To me this seem like the right place to start our fly in, if we all agree then maybe we should sort out a time we could meet to look at the esshot aproach and landing options
I HATE COMPUTERS
GlennP
Regular

Big Girls

Post by GlennP »

Ah you big girls!

I suppose I'l pospone my PPG adventure and fly from Selbys aswell with the NHPC SQN. The mrs will be happier she doesn't have to follow me in the car as support driver.

What time you guys thinking of getting there?
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well still a bit undesided as looks like cross fell could be on and windy early on

so this is the plan fly crossfell early on then fly the paramotor from crossfell to join up and land at selbys stroke eshot let me know if you have a time in mind. new wing fly's fast so can cover ground at 45-49km trim so could be there in less than 2 hours

cheers gary
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Talkin of those pesky flying snails, one was over the house again last night.!! low and slow I though it might be crash landing in on the green at the Kings pub!

Sadly it flew away as I was getting the shovel out the shed.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

They don't have exact timings yet, but the Pitts aerobatic display and the low pass by the provost will be taking place sometime after five. So best to get in before then I would think guys.

See you there

Dave
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

how about get to selbys for about 2 oclock that should give plehty time
I HATE COMPUTERS
GlennP
Regular

Fly in

Post by GlennP »

Is anyone going up to Titers for a free fly in the morning first then heading down to Selbys Farm with the paramotor? Winds reputedly 10mph SW with a warm front passing in the afternoon.

I'm still up for doing this how many others are game? I would have liked to have flown from further South but the Mrs spat the dummy when I asked her to be the support driver. :(
GlennP
Regular

Selbys

Post by GlennP »

CAn someone PM me the details for Selbys place please?
alan westmoreland
Chatty

Selby's

We are hoping to get there about 12 so can get sorted and have a chill before events :)