Club Paragliding Comp 2009

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

myerscouse
Chatty

Club Paragliding Comp 2009

Post by myerscouse »

Ok Folks, So here we have it the results of the
NHPC Paragliding Club Comp 2009

Saturday 8th August GREEN Light called for our 2009 PG Comp.

16 of us arrived on the High Cap Take off Cross Fell for 10.30 am

The skies looked promising and the wind although light and SW at first swung more into the South and freshened. Still well flyable but launching was at times a little entertaining !
After much deliberation a task was set to Talkin Tarn.
Results and Track Logs should appear below..But on behalf of my fellow Comp Organizer Flt Commander Wallis I would like to say that it was great to see a) the enthusiasm and b) an excellent standard of Airmanship and quality flying from everyone on the hill.
First brackets = dist flown. Second bracket =Dist from Goal

1 John Watson (14.1) ( 13.14)
2 Brian Day (12.2 ) (15.05)
3 Ron Don (11.9 ) (15.32)
4 Paul Myerscough (11.8 ) (15.46)
5 Jim Biddlestone (11.8 ) (16.04)
6 Ali Wolf (10.3 ) (16.84)
7 Col Chapman ( 9.8 ) (17.27)
8 Chris Little ( 9.3 ) (17.88)
9 Chris Foz ( 8.7 ) (18.68)
10 John Wallis (8.6 ) (18.82)
11 Kay (7.7 ) (19.62)
12 Dave Horne (7.6 ) ( 19.93)
13 Paul Smith ?
14 Anto Baird ?
15 John Miller ?

Paul

ps I have NO idea why there is a smilie next to Chris Little & Chris Foz..Can't get rid of them
Impress Yours Friends With A Friend Impressor
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Nice one Paul, thanks again to you and Wing Commander Wallis for organising an excellent comp. The traces all in one page are most impressive too, how do you do it?
Must echo the airmanship part, many pilots in one bowl and all well behaved.
Cheers
Jim
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

To do what paul has done just open the flights on the league then click show in google earth and it will open it on your computer then just open all the flights you want to see the same way.

As for the smiley Paul 8) is the spelling for the smiley with the shades so before submitting your post you must tick the disable smileys in this post.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Cheers Colin
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Thanks to everyone involved in the making of the comp, it was an excellent weekend. I camped at the Fox inn at Ousby (£5.00 a night) a cracking little site and a cracking pub with excellent meals. Lots of good crack with the locals and lots of beer, I really think we should make this our watering hole after flying, as we would be mixing with the local farmer’s and sailplane pilot’s --- good PR.
The task was no mean feat, especially in the windy conditions, It was great not to have any whingeing, and the flying was non-aggressive good fun, and that’s how it should be in my opinion. I promised the lady of the house (the fox) I would mention about the horsy event they are holding on Sun 30th August it sounds like a good day and I’ve been promised a ride !!
:P
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Thanks Paul my input was minimal this time around you and Kay did a great job and what a special day. It was just so good to get out on the hills again. We should maybe call that task again just for fun when the wind is a bit lighter and over the back doesn't look so good. Plus wasn't it so good that everyone looked after each other and made sure they were back to their cars, also the same on Sunday. I don't think I can remember this ever happening on such a scale such Camawadrie......

Well done John Watson a very worthy champion. Not only did John win on the Saturday we made him sweat that there was a day 2 (I actually thought there was) I met him heading home Sunday morning and turned him back. There was a mention of open XC as a second task but it was a very slow start to Sunday but as it happened it was probably the better day. John also got the best distance of the day on Sunday a true NHPC Champ and a gentleman too.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Great day, thanks to all involved. The picture sort of sums up Melmerby Hole on that day. What a place to escape from, I was getting frustrated, so goodness knows how Colin felt, he must still be having nightmares about it.

Well done John brilliant flying, the only person I saw using big ears all day and still going up! That must be an ozone helium formula 1 you fly, couldn't get anywhere near you.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

John Watson wrote: I camped at the Fox inn at Ousby (£5.00 a night) a cracking little site and a cracking pub with excellent meals. Lots of good crack with the locals and lots of beer, I really think we should make this our watering hole after flying, as we would be mixing with the local farmer’s and sailplane pilot’s --- good PR.
Mr wallis could this not be the answer to your idea of camping at high cap would be great to have a last get together before the end of the summer

07824 554735
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

I'm up for that Colin, The hrsy event on the 30th is in aid of the air ambulance, :shock: do you not think this would be a good time to have a get together as its a bank hol weekend?
Lets have some names --- and we could have another comp :wink:
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Id be up for that.

07824 554735
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Me too - my idea of camping is to be next to a pub that does good meals - and having eaten at the Fox before, it does :D

HOWEVER - 30th August is also the date for the Grasmere Show - http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/viewtopic.php?t=5267
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Great idea..tho Bank Hol Weekend would be out for us unfortunately
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

nothing stopping us from heading to grasmere on sunday or those who want to anyhow

07824 554735
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Very true my son - just ignore me I am turning into a decrepit old fart :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.