I've got a new toy!

All manner of video's that have been edited and created by the NHPC members

Moderator: Club Moderators

gordie
Regular

I've got a new toy!

Post by gordie »

After trying hard to shrink my old Bobcat, in Buttermere at the LCC. I decided there was nothing for it but to get the smallest one Gin make. My shinny new 13.5m2 Bobcat arrived this morning (thank's Pat) and after a nice play, soaring it about on Bewaldeth this afternoon, I could resist no longer a line down Ullock Pike which has been begging to be done. After 40 minutes walking it took just under 2 minutes to get down!

Hope you enjoy the ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt0R6CyprJ8
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

he,heee, nice video mate.

That looks like really good fun. Your face at the end is a good resume of the ride...

Take care. Paolo
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Fast ?!!!!! :D :D
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

looks a lot of fun is the pain worth the pleasure?
what head cam are you using?

cheers gary
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

I want one :egrin:
Can I have a go please Mr :yum:
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Ye its pretty quick I've got to say :o

For me persoanly this is the form of flying I have always dreamed of, and for a while I thought had achived through paragliding. Being able to crank a wing up and skim down the mountain side is a fantastic feeling, but I am realy glad I have got 20 odd years p.g. experience behind me and 30 odd hours on bigger Bobcats. I have also spent a lot of time doing over fast dynamic sports such as skiing and mountain biking, and love to push myself so all my reactions have to be instictive whilst performing at my limit.

As for my approach to speed flying flat out as shown in the vid, in many ways is similar to x.c. flying..........preperation rather then leaving things to luck. I have been eyeing up the line I flew for a couple of years and know it well. I parked at the bottom and walked all the way up, assesing the weather and wind as I went. It turned out to be nill wind on the west slope but light east on the summit ridge. This allowed me to take off cleanly one side and then fall off down wind of the ridge, adding to the speed buzz. Once I got above my chosen gully it was time to crank it up and see what she could do, I was not disapointed even with the glider on slow trim. One thing to note, once you are cranked up on a speed wing there is a huge amount of energy stored on the wing which you can chose to either accelerated and carve into the next turn with or convert through and gain height. So even thought it may look full on the wing is in a very stable flying platform and will blast its way through nearly anything.

P.S. Chris, can't wait to let you have a shot. You will be amazed how it soars as well as the bigger sizes, but when you wang in the turns it makes your face go like your 'emotion'

The camera is one of U.K. airsports 'hero wide cam' they are brilliant for there size and price.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

And here is the latest vid from the last couple of days. Been playing around with wing mounting the camera, hope you enjoy the results and it don't make you feel sick :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkFxJGyw-AM
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

After the rain came a sunny evening, now't for it but another speed fly down Ullock. Hope you enjoy the ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-89WCQXWIKU
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Wow!!! that looked fast and close on some occasions. Can you get the trimmers any faster?
Flew mine the other week at xfell and that was fast enough :???: need more practice to be able to soar it though, I'll get there!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Aye she's quick is that little 13.5m. All the dynamic flying is with trimmers on slow as this makes the wing more responsive and agile. When I go onto the glide half way down I let the trimmers off all the way to get as much straight line speed as poss, applying them again just before the last swooping section. As for being close to the terrain, ye I was at times with in about a foot clearance but always ready to turn it into the valley if needed. Glad you liked it Brain, give me a shout if your over this way and we could hook up and have a speed session.

Off to try and do Ben Nevis on Thursday, watch this space.................
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

id like to see that video
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Arr well that's the biggest decent in the u.k. ticked:

http://vimeo.com/6091697

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I see you managed to miss the water this time nice fly down kicking the tree tops.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

After talking to you as you were getting ready I knew this video would be coming! Worth the wait to see it, brilliant stuff, Northern Corries next?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Jan L
Chatty

Post by Jan L »

NICE ONE, Bet your still buzzing!!!! :lek:
Girlpower!
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Ohh how I wish I could have got Thursday off work :o