Glider as flight baggage

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

waynelson
Mingling

Glider as flight baggage

Post by waynelson »

Had no problems taking my wing as luggage a few years back but wondered if any of you hardened jet setters have experienced difficulty in doing so recently. I'm set for Cyprus in July and intended traveling light - wearing my boots & packing my crocs. Have the more stringent security measures resulted in the wing having to be declared as sports gear??
I'll never be this young again!
Home-0191 281 3432
Hill-07791 260373
crook_101
Chatty

Post by crook_101 »

Hi Wayne,

I have used one of these bags from Argos on countless trips abroad.The beauty of it being - apart from your big boots - you just look like a normal traveller. I can get sup-air XXL harness, small tandem, mayday 20, flight suit, swing rucksack & full face helmet in without trying :o :o

Also the bag is soooo wide, it tends to not sit squarely on the conveyer at check in so a true weight cannot be registered on the scales.... :lol: :lol:

I have never been questioned over this and I find it helps to chat nicely to the check in staff, busy flight, early start and also if you ask for an upgrade, you have more chance as you don't look like a para urchin :idea:

I also take a large bum bag that i make sure is fastened at the front with the bag behind you, usally keep alti, gps etc in here as don't want them being thrown around in a hold.

If you are travelling as a group and worried about weight, check in individually leaving carry on with the group, making sure that you do not have any carry on when you check in, and playing the nieve traveller if questioned about the weight of your bag saying you thought it would be OK to just put wverything in one bag as you have issues carrying heavy things long distances....... :shock: :shock:

Alternatively, pay for an upgrade and take the kitchen sink or declare it as sporting goods and relax (airline dependent) :D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... UGGAGE.htm

Don't everyone copy me or one of these flights one day will be so overloaded it won't take off !! :twisted:

Not a crook as such but I do tend to be liberal with the truth when dealing with large companies such as airlines.......my apologies to all you commercial pilots on here :oops: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy your hols,
crook_101
GlennP
Regular

flying

Post by GlennP »

Hi Wayne,

Try what Crook says. Sometimes the check in staff can't identify a paraglider in a rucksack nevermind an Argos bag.

Last time I flew with Easyjet the hand luggage allowance was upto 20kg with a small rucksack that would fit in their frame at check in. Everything went in that bag, helmet, instruments, radio, clothes etc etc. The glider was checked in a sports equipment and was at the 20kg limit. No hassles at all. My clothes and a towel were wrapped around the glider/harness to protect them and I wore all the heavy gear like boots. I've got a bumbag but I don't use it as people might think I'm German. ;-0

No security issues on my last 2 flights, just turn up early.
You are only as good as your last flight........
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Ask Neil.......

:D :D :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
GlennP
Regular

flying

Post by GlennP »

I didn't want to be the one to say it Alastair......but yes ask Neil :wink:
will walker
Mingling

Post by will walker »

HI Wayne i use xtra large glider bag which usually gets checked in by hand as it wont fit on the conveyor , used it over eight times with no probs are you going north or south ? ive been twice to nothern cyprus with Sunsoar paragliding via highline air tours who run the sites hope this helps
rgds will
http://www.highlineparagliding.com/
waynelson
Mingling

Cyprus

Post by waynelson »

Thanks but I am set for South - Limassol area. Have looked at the extremesportscafe website and see a few NOVICE FRIENDLY sites within a short drive and am looking toward hiring a Fiesta (11 days £200). What's the score with turning up wing in hand wanting to fly over on Cyprus? I have tried emailing but no response as yet.

Insurance with BHPA 11-17 days is going to come to £57.37 + £5 admin
I'll never be this young again!
Home-0191 281 3432
Hill-07791 260373
GlennP
Regular

Travel insurance

Post by GlennP »

Hi Wayne,

That travel insurance cover quote seems really steep. I got a years world wide cover with TGIC for not much more than what you are paying for a couple of weeks. Frankly £62 FOR 2 WEEKS IS A RIP OFF.

I've had better quotes than that with a high street broker ,Endsleigh Insurance, for skydiving from 15,000ft for 3 weeks.

http://www.tgic-online.com/ti/Pages/Sky ... liding.htm.

I've used this policy 3 times and i'll use it again this summer so it's been well worth it. Don't forget your EHIC card aswell.

Glenn