A BCC Topic

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Fingers
Regular

A BCC Topic

Post by Fingers »

AlastairW wrote: have to say how totally disappointed I was at the lack of enthusiasm for the BCC at last weeks meeting.

Does no one want to compete?

Or is it just that no one can be bothered to organise it, and are prepared to leave it to muggins here???

Some weeks ago I did arrange an entry into this weekends rounds in the lakes.

If anyone wants to compete, put your names below.
I recall a post which did hint at "only pros need aply please" cant find it now, must be in the "private forum for people who,... have the correct name,... who Mr Wallis recognises,.... who does not have any strong opinions on anything other than are we flying,... who agrees whole heartedly and blindly with everything Mr Day says"

So being as it may I am only some wanker off the streets who does not comply with any of the aforementioned, I cant now find it.

But it did sort of indicate a little that only top brass need apply, I recall the clubs success being forged by raggy arse tearaways who did not give to much of a toss and certainly the getting pissed after was very high on the agenda.

There's loads of new guys, surly there must be some who are up for this? I remember vaguely a great night at the model ridge just managing to find my tent in the fog at the wee hours. Oh and I think the NHPC won, but that did not seem to important at the time.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I recall a post which did hint at "only pros need aply please" cant find it now, must be in the "private forum for people who,... have the correct name,... who Mr Wallis recognises,.... who does not have any strong opinions on anything other than are we flying,... who agrees whole heartedly and blindly with everything Mr Day says"

So being as it may I am only some wanker off the streets who does not comply with any of the aforementioned, I cant now find it.
Here we go again.

I was referring to 2 guys still on red ribbons or just past red ribbons who wanted to go into competition. I thought it was too early for them and I still do. You obviously think it's a good idea to send people into competition at this level I don't.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Can someone post to give a general idea of what goes on at said competitions. Is it just get as far as you can? Or do you have to fly to a turn point then to another etc? Or do you have to fly the biggest triangle or what? Or does it depend on the day and whose setting it?
Also what is involved in organising the comps?
Cheers
Jim
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

John Wallis wrote:
Here we go again.
?

Do yourself a big favour, get off my back John.

I am pointing out maybe why there has been little showing for the comp and that I can not ref the post. The BCC is little more than any normal days flying about, nothing more, it is for beginners. I could not remember who posted the "only pros" post and francky the"who" was not important, the fact is that it did put people off.

Hence Alistair's disappointment, is that ok with you John?
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

The task depends entirely on the day. It may be open distance, a race to goal, open distance via turn point or other.

As for organising the comp, you have to be able to liase with the other teams via the BCC website, enter our teams into the rounds, ideally organise a Northumbrian round, arrange for our pilots to make up a team, make sure they all get to the meeting place on time (herding cats springs to mind...) Understand the scoring system, which is on a handicap basis, depending on the number of teams in the round, rating of both the pilot (Cp / P/ Ap) and the pilots wing (penalties for flying DhV2, even more penalties for flying DHV2/3).
So despite what Steve says, it is not just about getting our "ace" or pro pilots out to fly. They can actually be a disadvantage to the team, as they may have to fly nearly 50% further (or faster - if it is a race to goal)to score the same as a CP on a DHV1 or 1/2. There is therefore skill in picking the team.

It also involves quite a lot of time spent on the phone.

So that is it in a nutshell. Or should I say can of worms?

Given that we have done so well in the Two years we have entered, would be a shame to see this disappear because of apathy.

And Steve, the most important thing for anyone considering competing is COMMITMENT. I seem to recall someone a couple of years ago getting the team bus to turn around and head off to Cross Fell as they could not be bothered to walk up Jenkin? Fortunately common sense did eventually prevail.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Jim Bittlestone wrote:Can someone post to give a general idea of what goes on at said competitions. Is it just get as far as you can? Or do you have to fly to a turn point then to another etc? Or do you have to fly the biggest triangle or what? Or does it depend on the day and whose setting it?
Also what is involved in organising the comps?
Cheers
Jim
Jim its a good days out and a very informal comp that is set on the day, but it is simply a good days/night out with your mates.

It is worth just turning up even if your names not on the list, much joy and merriment has normaly been the crack provided the number are there.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

AlastairW wrote:The task depends entirely on the day. It may be open distance, a race to goal, open distance via turn point or other.

As for organising the comp, you have to be able to liase with the other teams via the BCC website, enter our teams into the rounds, ideally organise a Northumbrian round, arrange for our pilots to make up a team, make sure they all get to the meeting place on time (herding cats springs to mind...) Understand the scoring system, which is on a handicap basis, depending on the number of teams in the round, rating of both the pilot (Cp / P/ Ap) and the pilots wing (penalties for flying DhV2, even more penalties for flying DHV2/3).
So despite what Steve says, it is not just about getting our "ace" or pro pilots out to fly. They can actually be a disadvantage to the team, as they may have to fly nearly 50% further (or faster - if it is a race to goal)to score the same as a CP on a DHV1 or 1/2. There is therefore skill in picking the team.

It also involves quite a lot of time spent on the phone.

So that is it in a nutshell. Or should I say can of worms?

Given that we have done so well in the Two years we have entered, would be a shame to see this disappear because of apathy.

And Steve, the most important thing for anyone considering competing is COMMITMENT. I seem to recall someone a couple of years ago getting the team bus to turn around and head off to Cross Fell as they could not be bothered to walk up Jenkin? Fortunately common sense did eventually prevail.
On second thoughts Jim it sounds like a freekin nightmare!

Ali, sounds like you need to read the book "how to get guests to the party" as much as I need to read "how to win friends and influence people"

:lol:
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

I couldn't say that I understand the scoring system, the intricaces of picking the right team or have the knowledge to organise the Northumbrian round.
I will help a.n.other if he/she did have this knowledge tho' until I get gen'd up.
There's got to be someone who will help?
I guess a good start would be to take part in one?
I've not competed before but would give it a go if someone kept me right?
Perhaps I could be on the reserve list?
Cheers
Jim
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

You miss the point Steve.....

All I pointed out in my previous post was what has to be done to organise the BCC team.

For the past two years all that team members have had to do is turn up, having been invited to be a member of the team.

I have dealt with the running of the team, along with some help from people like John Wallis, who had planned an NHPC round, aproached the farmers (along with Bob Sutherland), arranged a campsite, and sorted provisional tasks.

Unfortunately that round never happened as the weather was crap.

So a lot of people never got to see, or even had any idea, of the work John had put in.

Being negative, moaning at people is the easiest thing in the world to do.

Or just sitting back and doing nowt, and letting others run round after you......

Which seems to be the position we are in with the BCC

All I am asking is someone to step in and organise the bloody thing!!!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

You would still have to have the Pilot rating before being allowed to enter a comp if there was any XC task though surely?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Could someone please explain how this topic has been cut out from my original "BCC 17th/18th" thread, and then seemingly started as a new topic?
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

from my experience about the bcc the party was as if not more important as the tasks. i did see some on red ribons the day at jenkin though i dont think that was quite right.

i think a good mix of new old and bold pilots is the way to go, this way the novis on the dhv1 can follow the bmore experienced and get more points as i think the top 4 counts.

i think colin glen arif and jim would be perfect for the bcc as they have shown good spirit and shall i say it a bit of boldness but yet a long way to go to get the old and bold
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

You would still have to have the Pilot rating before being allowed to enter a comp if there was any XC task though surely?
Stop calling us Shirley, we don't wear skirts down here! :lol:
No, Bob, CPs actually score more points than pilot or advance Pilot, it's one of the idiosyncrasies of the competition.
Jim, thanks for showing interest, the positive future of the club lies with guys like you, and hopefully it will move forward in a positive way with members working together.
If you are still interested in helping with the competition this year I will help as much as I can. I don't think there is a necessity to run our own round, we haven't done for the last two years, but if you feel confident in giving it a go I am sure Gary and John will help as well.
I can forward all competition dates that I get to you and I will post the status of the event, (stand by, canceled, confirmed etc) onto the website. I can do that even if I'm not at a computer.
Other than the club comp, these are the only comps I have entered. To be honest, I have found them less stressful than the club comp as you have pilots in a team flying with you to help. I really enjoy them, the only reasons I'm not jumping at the opportunity this year, is that I'm on a bit of a downer with the situation at the moment, but I'm sure come the day, I'll be there.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Do yourself a big favour, get off my back John.
I'm doing just that!

I've just developed a healthy disinterest to you your attitude and your forum. And may I point out if you continue to goad Brian Day you will require more than someone to run the competitions, you will need someone to run the club. Your doing a grand job Mr Marshall.

I'm off your back this is my last post in your forum. I'll be glad to go back to the phone and the club meeting.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

brian day wrote: Stop calling us Shirley, we don't wear skirts down here! :lol:

(chuckle) Am biting my tongue here :lol:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i dont understand why this has been moved as i think there was valid points made.

there was a saying i used to be told sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you. i think its time for people to broaden there shoulders and stop taken everything so seriously and moving stuff as soon as there is disagreement.

i think if you have started to take a god damm web site so seriously then its time to get a life. this is mainly banter and shit stiring and not going to change the world.

after all you call this the private section and i know there is lots out there with others passwords to litern to the jungle drumms

cheers gary
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I dont know why it was moved I split it i'll admitt that but I didnt move it.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
crook_101
Chatty

Post by crook_101 »

Judging by the two posts above, you probably haven't realised but this thread is NOT in the private section it's in The Pub...... :roll: :idea: :roll:

crook_101
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

there was a saying i used to be told sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you.
You are correct to use the past tense here Gary. It is now well established, through proper research that name calling is in fact far more hurtful and damaging to people than any other act aimed at being hurtful, either physically or mentally.
Fortunately having worked with 'damaged people' for many years I have built up a resilience to such tactics.
The unfortunate thing is that the club, especially the new members have now lost the invaluable experience of John.
after all you call this the private section and i know there is lots out there with others passwords to litern to the jungle drumms
The literary style and language code of members who post on this site is better than a live web cam, it is more than obvious who is posting on different peoples user names.
I have noticed that some one is using my username and password to enter the site and I have never given my password out, so there are more ways than one!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

The content of this post was only ever going in one direction, it seems to have achieved it's aim, at least partially.
Judging by the two posts above, you probably haven't realised but this thread is NOT in the private section it's in The Pub......
Once again I have moderators complaining to me that posts are bouncing from one forum to another. If we are to moderate this site in order to keep possible 'sensitive or damaging' material within the club, then moderators must use their position correctly and not within another agenda, which, I am sure most do.
If these actions continue I am sure there will be more people following John's actions and not bothering any more.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

I have noticed that some one is using my username and password to enter the site and I have never given my password out, so there are more ways than one!
To alleviate the uneasy sphincter of the "paranoid people" who I have had first hand experiance with.

Your password is encripted into the database so for eg a password of say;

"dishonourable"

will be writen in the database as some thing like;

RTJ%TRERAJ%%$!DFGSGVJ£$TY^$%VEAQ£"$V%$$$$$$"£TGR£E

Your password is NEVER viewable in a usable format, get the picture? If someone is using your account then YOU have spilled the beans to someone, its also very easy to change your password.!
The content of this post was only ever going in one direction, it seems to have achieved it's aim, at least partially.
I guess you still think your a head master and the kids can only talk about things you think might not hurt them mentally, physically, spiritually nor otherwise.?

One last thing Brian, your actions are warranting reaction, if you cant handle the reactions then maybe you should look to your actions. There is a saying if you play with fire your going to get burned.

As usual the forum has been turned into a storm in a tea cup over NOTHING AT ALL. I recall simply trying to boost the interest in the BCC that I remember.? ..... WHAT THE !!!