bumps and bruises but fine

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

You'll be out in no time gary, I'm pleased you are OK :) The wind was'nt full south when you landed (crashed) as Ron say's you had you're left wing low when you hit the wind gradient or dead air, this combined with the wind coming slightly from your right and the lift under your right wing meant you had little chance of recovery, and having to flare to avoid smacking in just made the matter worse. Its alright everyone telling you what you done wrong and what you should have done ETC ETC but its happened. --- We have all made mistakes, and you are OK :wink: just learn from it.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

looks like outer leading edges as you have to changle both 2 uprights 1 to 2 tip wands and may be a few wires and hopefully thats all. put it this way probably nearly as cheap to by a second hand one

cheers gary
Brian Nellist
Chatty

Post by Brian Nellist »

Just read this thread you can,t keep a good man down you,ll be back to cloud base soon take it easy.
8)
Cheers.
Brian. 075403610ninenine

Aka the caretaker

Always keep your feet firmly on the ground, even when your heads in the air.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

the funny thing is, on this accident i have got all the evidance and i think this makes it so much easier to cope with. when you see an accident with out a video you can miss so much or think you seen things you didnt. though here you can see exactly where i was going wrong and on high res i can see once i tried to correct my angle to be on the pinacle og the up slope i was banking left and i knew the second i fell through the windsheer i was in trouble as i had exposed my right wing to be slightly high, and with that wind strength it spelled dissaster.

but haven said that very easy to stomack as i know i was to blame and know how to avoid the same situation again.

cheers gary
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

Wow! Get well soon Gary, expect to see you out flying this weekend!

Shocked after watching the video - last 20secs of the flight looked like you're coming down too soon. Can't tell about the wings level because all hardware in the frame is only that bit of wire. I know what I would have done on the Discus in that landing, but also know it wouldn't have worked on any topless glider I tried!

...had a flight at Tinto the same day - boy it was windy, and I have nearly landed on a house in Biggar during the final turn :oops: Or maybe I would have soared that house if I was that little bit lower!

I don't think you have to replace BOTH carbon outer LEs, flex tip gliders usually have stiff LE tubes so the "equal stiffness" of outers shouldn't be anywhere as critical as it was on the square tip gliders.

Again, wish you and the RS have a very quick recovery!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Sergey

Post by ron freeman »

Sergey, check out the horizion when Gary begins to flare.. :roll:

Gary asked me to look at the video and give him my assessment.

Cheers.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Bad luck Mate!

You need to be working on a more manly scream in case you need it in the future! :o
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
Sergey
Chatty

Re: Sergey

Post by Sergey »

ron freeman wrote:Sergey, check out the horizion when Gary begins to flare.. :roll:

Cheers.
Yyyyyesss there was a bit of bank angle, I agree. Camera isn't entirely level on the glider but once used to it I can see the bank before the flare. Just didn't think so little bank could cause such a stunt, but other factors may have helped I suppose...
Pete Batey
Chatty

Re: Sergey

Post by Pete Batey »

Sergey wrote:
ron freeman wrote:Sergey, check out the horizion when Gary begins to flare.. :roll:

Cheers.
Yyyyyesss there was a bit of bank angle, I agree. Camera isn't entirely level on the glider but once used to it I can see the bank before the flare. Just didn't think so little bank could cause such a stunt, but other factors may have helped I suppose...
I think think the problem is that the wind is coming along the track in the ssw so landing so far down the track the glider approaches the ground with the left wing in wind shaddow but the right wing still generating lift. the glider banks and the flare exacerbates things.
A couple of weeks ago I almost landed in exactly the same spot but predicted this outcome so let the flaps up on the atos to land in cleaner air above the gully.
Pete
Sometimes you've got to dance when the music's no good.