the rewards were given to the rightchous

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

the rewards were given to the rightchous

Post by gary stenhouse »

Well with an early start with mad dog getting me up at 8.30 for a 9.15 start heading for those big hills. Well at the road next to tp we had a debate, is the wind a sw or a southerly we decided ssw so quick look at titters then of to old buick, looking good I tell myself with a breeze on the ground,. So a drive up, with blue sky’s and perfect on the hill 2mph. the decision was made, Hownam here we come, permission was granted. Two attempts later, there was no chance, too much snow. This left john trying to pursued us to have a jog to the top for a laugh carrying all three gliders with his new up beet spirit, but we decided to give him Ritalin and stick him back in the van. Well as we had passed flags earlier at Akeld showing westerly we decided to burn more fuel and go back to longknow as it was on the way. Bingo wind on the hill and a few birds soaring John had a sleep as now the Ritalin was kicking in, and me and Brian charged of with the prospect of a kicking. I was first off with a lucky launch due too lots of snow and the glider keep on rolling about and there I was 100 m above take off. looking down on Brian about to have a paddy as his glider kept on rolling up in the snow and then taken him closer to the foster fence of doom. 20 minutes later hooray we were up together. what a great flight we had and also with nice smooth conditions.

goes to show never give up as there is always a chance

cheers Gary
Last edited by gary stenhouse on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Bertram
Chatty

Post by Stuart Bertram »

Certain persons had a quick fly down from Latrigg too - it was cold but got us in the air amongst the snow flakes. 5 minute flight and 30 minutes wiping the mud off my harness after landing on my arse in Bitts park.

Stuart
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

In light winds

Post by ron freeman »

Being a valley site, if anywhere is soarable in light winds you can put yer money on Longknowe in a westerly

Good to read that the Cheviots came up with the goods !
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Yes, there I was, having great concerns about the safety of the sheep, worried that they may abort their little lambs whilst splitting their sides laughing at me.
You know how it is, there's a right smart arse that's managed to fall off the hill in a lucky fashion and is now flying above your head laughing, there's another that couldn't be bothered to walk up the hill standing at the bottom laughing, the farmer has got the wife, kids and all the dogs out to watch for a good laugh and even the sheep are laughing,,,,,,and yes,,,you are the entertainment!!!! Melt down time.
So why all the merriment, on what is, a very cold snow covered little hill in Northumberland?
I'd been a good boy, laid the wing out, checked everything, gone through my pre-flight procedures, clipped in and turned round ready for my usual calm launch. But then!!!! The wing takes a mind of it's own and slides straight down the hill on the fine crust layer of snow into a nice neat bundle, enter the wind, which enters under the trailing edge rolling the wing back up the hill. Then for good measure it decides to slide down the hill to the side of me before inflating and pulling me towards the barbed wire fence. Anyway, to cut a long story short, cravats, inside out wing, leading edge full of snow, much merriment and laughter from above and below etc. It turns itself upside down and inflates, off towards the fence again, control, flip the wing the right way up, there it is in the power zone heading off at 90 deg to the wind, that damn fence has a magnet. I'm only holding the brakes controlling the wing, options,,,,made a choice, got the A's, phew, up it came, centered to the wind, quick check of the lines, where's the laughing man, not in the way, good lets get off the ground.
Reward was a nice flight with beautiful views, After we landed the wing still refused to play and had to be wrestled into it's bag, every breath of wind sliding it across the snow. The snow was also determined to get into the bag and come home with me, I almost began to hate the stuff! My wing must have been possessed:evil:
Now I know why the French spend so long preparing a flat take off zone in the snow.
Lesson learned,,,in snow, try to secure the trailing edge with snow to prevent it turning inside out, find a friendly sheep to hold the wing for you, take off on flat land, stay in the car, make sure you are the one having the laugh!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

9/10 for effort Brian. 10/10 for the hilarious write up though. :lol:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Reads like...

Post by ron freeman »

Sounds like you need some tips off Gary.. :o
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Sounds like you need some tips off Gary
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, actually no!
there's a right smart arse that's managed to fall off the hill in a lucky fashion
I'm sure Gary won't mind admitting to accuracy of that statement!
Both my attempt and Gary's were equally amusing, it's just I couldn't resist going for the multiple encore to keep the gathered audience truly amused.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01