Coastal sites in Northumberland

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

DaveB
Mingling

Coastal sites in Northumberland

Post by DaveB »

Hi All,

As a newbie in this sport - still in school, I am looking for information of any coastal flying sites in North Northumberland. My parents live in Seahouses and I was wondering if anyone had flown maybe the BIG dunes around Bamburgh Castle or maybe Embleton Bay - As a skydiver back in the 80's and 90's we used to attempt to soar these dunes on days when it was too windy to jump.

Thanks in Advance.
D.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Hi Dave I know where you mean and I'm sure they are soarable. I've often looked at them when up there walking. There's a few fly the dunes at Duridge Bay too.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
crook_101
Chatty

Post by crook_101 »

HI Dave,

I have played on the big dunes around Bamburgh and they are OK for scratcing and soaring - the usual smooth coastal air.

My only caveat, apart from the schol thing, of which I have no intention of going down that path(!), would be to very mindful of the public and possible collisions. If you have the background as per your post re Skydiving, I am sure that you are aware of this point anyway.

PS - enjoy emptying the sand out of every orifice and your wing :lol: :lol:

Have fun,
crook_101
:vilain:
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Don't...

Post by ron freeman »

Don't get to close to the castle!!! The guy who bought his title and lives there is not a very nice bloke.. he owns some of the dunes in front of the castle and he will not allow anybody to use them for flying.

Best to stay south of the castle.

The dunes are good to fly but be very carful when windy because of very strong rotor behind the dunes (+ the main road !)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
DaveB
Mingling

Post by DaveB »

Hi All,
Firstly thanks for the info.

However secondly - in reply to Ron......

I may be new to this site and you may feel that my opinion is not yet justified BUT, I happen to know the guy who, for your information, DID NOT BUY his title but is infact the adopted son of the previous Lord Armstrong and, for this reason only, is not eligable to carry his family line - please make sure, in future, that your postings are correct.

And another bit of info...... He, Francis, is a really nice guy.
I believe you may have bumped into either his estate managers or the National Trust who own some of the dunes and are particularly "touchy" about anybody on the dunes because of erosion.
In any case I'm gonna go see him and see if I can "play" on his dunes......

Cheers
Dave.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Bad experience

Post by ron freeman »

I am aware that he was adopted but this has nothing to do with flying

If you do fly thoses dunes next to the castle its a good thing that you know him ! the person I met told me that he owned the estate and he was very rude telling me to clear off while I was trying to be very polite.

I've met many wealthy & successful people and they have not spoken to me like that.. so in my opinion best to stay clear.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Tommy
Mingling

Post by Tommy »

Hiya
I have flown the dunes on cocklawburn beach near Scremerston a few times,and it was exellent fun,if the conditions are right you can get a surprisingly good distance,and it`s great for wagga.
Tommy
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Hi Dave.

I have flown the dunes in Druridge bay. I prefer to talk so Tel 07917771108 if you can.
DaveB
Mingling

To Tommy

Post by DaveB »

Tommy hi,
Thanks for the note on Scremersto, but please forgive my naievety....

Wot's "wagga".

D.
Tommy
Mingling

Post by Tommy »

Wagga,is messing around near the ground,wingovers,skimming with your hand in the grass,flying at very low level,etc,not everyone`s thing,but I kinda like it. I quite fancy another go at the dunes somtime,give me a shout if you are going out.
Tommy.
DaveB
Mingling

Post by DaveB »

Tommy,

Thanks for that mate. Learn something every day eh?
I'll defo post something here if I'm planning on getting out - would be good to learn some "wagga'ring" from an expert........

Cheers
Dave.