2009 goals, aspirations, argets, aims...

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Sad Northerner
Regular

2009 goals, aspirations, argets, aims...

Post by Sad Northerner »

Myerscouser and myself where frequenting on J Wallis's post regarding targets for the 2008 season. It opened up an interesting post so;
C'mon folks what have you got in mind for the 2009 flying season?
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Here's the previous 2 years and it doesn't make good reading due to the weather.
http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/viewtopic.p ... arget+2008

I would like to continue climbing up the club XC league and creep up on you 2............Then pass you :shock:

Please God can i have some weather when I'm off this year........
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

to do better than 34k open distance pg and do the same on hg

no aspirations just kick ass on the day and fly safely
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

To set myself a goal every time I turn up on the hill, not just accept a float about if conditions ain't great.

The landing somewhere different even if it means a walk sounds good too. :o

I haven't got a good enough enough memory to know just how good conditions in the UK can get...

LETS JUST HOPE THE WEATHER GODS WANT TO PLAY IN 2009! :???:
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
GlennP
Regular

Goals for 2009

Post by GlennP »

For 2009 I'm really hoping to perfect my top to bottoms.

I will do this by pushing out straight from the hill making no turns whatsoever and landing over a barbed wire fence as far away from the car as possible. All this in under 3 minutes of flight.

Further to this I will work for World Peace , Campaign to end famine in Africa and support England to win any kind of silverware in any kind of sport whatsoever..........

Oh yes and I will try and learn how to program QNH on my Vario using instructions translated from Italian via Japanese, get my head round OLC/ALC/BBC/123/IGC, and get to the end of one of Mad Dogs posts.

I think thats enough for now....... one day at a time people.
You are only as good as your last flight........
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Well with the euro sterling rate not looking too good, I'm thinking more about UK targets, so here goes

- Beat my previous height which from memory was in 2007 in mid Wales, a measly 5200ft, shouldn't be too difficult should it :D

- Overcome a natural fear of "going over the back" even if I end up with a long walk out of the boonies :oops:

- Like Tony, have a bit more (m)adventure so don't spend as much time soaring the ridge and land out much more, even if it's only a few k's away :twisted:

- Learn to use thermals as efficiently and as high as possible (assuming we get any in the UK this year!) :lol:

- Understand clouds, convergence, wave, restitution better than I do currently i.e. met stuff to do with (a) safety (b) lift :)

- With the overall objective of doing some XCs enjoying the flights, the getting back (including using OAP bus pass) and not allowing flying days to be time-constrained so I can make the most of any really good days :P
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Live long and prosper. :wink:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

No Bryan that's just not good enough.....your targets have to be specific to flying, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time relevant........you, above all people, should know this.

Try again!!!

Love, peace and happiness
Ali
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

To fly outside of ridge lift and get to cloudbase
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

There's a clear feeling of apathy, with regards to the 2009 flying season, from the NHPC guys and gals.
Next time I'm at a club meeting I'll be careful not to open a window just in case everyone's will to live try to make a run for it.

Do you think the looming recession has something to do with it?

Ali
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

To fly XC with Ali..... ( I dont think we have ever managed it yet!)

And to beat him.......

Fighting talk!

:D :D :D :D

Some decent XC flights in the UK would be nice.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

50 k for me i hope big ask but posable i think ill need to travel a bit to make it happen 8)
Impress Yours Friends With A Friend Impressor
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

OK Ali, you want it SMART
Simply
Miles
After
Rough
Thermals

OK, neck on block, here goes.
Top 5 in the xc league
3 flights over 20k
Over 100k total
Moneylaws to the coast
Akeld to south of Powburn
And,,,my big nemesis,,,The Clough Head run. (I was talked out of it by tales of woe, fear and trepidation)
Not much, I know for the big boys, but gently does it.
If it doesn't happen, then as long as I enjoy flying, am in good company,,,well,,,,I'll still be gutted! :cry:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Turn point...

Post by ron freeman »

Turn point every club site in the Cheviots in one flight !
8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Great stuff Brian!!! that's more like it!!!

Oh....and just typical of Al Wolf to start getting all smart. When the rest of us were thinking about sole ambitions and objectives that would enrich our lives, (I envisage an ethereal light breaking through the clouds when I achieve mine), he has to making it some sort two bit competition which will only serve to drive a wedge between us...

well here's mine then

Get to cloud base and go on a glide with mates
Fly south from a north eastern hill
fly my wing more dynamically
See to Susan Wolf whilst Ali's away doing a 100k

Ali

PS Ronnie, I love ya man, but if ya pull that off I'll have ya babies.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Ali,Susan says I can go out flying EVERY weekend now...

And she will leave a key under the second plant pot from the left....

I dont really understand what she is on about......
:D :D :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Neil
Chatty
Full Name: Neil Smith

Post by Neil »

see faye whilst ali and ali r busy
fly with a dolfin i mean a porpouise
win the winter xc again
get high with friends, travel far land together and get pissed
renew my marriage vows with sal
ATM
find a wing i love
never waste a hard on and don't trust a fart
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Right here we go.....Look Out...Here Come The Girl erls :roll:

Well...you know its not apathy..totally ! when we don't reply to such a post..its a bit of a fear of making a tit of your self, and letting your self down..How-ever I think you are right Al we have to have goals other-wise its out with the calulator and the 15 turn point calculator on the OLC !!
SO.Anyway..... I was hoping to buy a new wing this year, but you know I've been thinking. Firstly due to the £ / Euro thing and then after reading that article posted by Good ol J W , I tell you , what put Robbie Whittal on my little 1/2 and I bet he'd wack out a few XC miles so why can't I . So before I allow myself the treat of a new wing I am going to try and prove to myself that I deserve it (and save up)...and see what I can coax out of my Good Ol Safe Epsilon .

So My goal for 2009
a) 35 km + UK Flight
b) Complete that bloody Clough to Ambleside run I'm sick of that field in Grasmere!
c) Finish top 10 in our Summer XC League

Wish me luck :idiot:
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Make enough money to buy me time to develope a standup act.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
simon
Mingling

Post by simon »

well with my wife due to give birth to our first child in 4 weeks, at this moment i would settle for just getting out. but that is probably lacking ambition and as i now have a nice shiny new wing it would be a shame to leave it in the cupboard. so for 2009 some good weather, some good crac, and some good flying .oh and a few xc's would be nice to :)
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

....and perhaps a trip to the ATM???

Ali
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I don't think you need luck Kay you and Paul (Make like ze Eagle) Myerscough are probably 2 of the most hungry and skillful pilots in the club. We are a a strange bunch the Northumbrians. We hardly fly our own sites yet we are such a closely knit competitive minded bunch of pilots you are likely to come across.

I know I waffle on here but i can't help it I just love the sport so unlike yersel I'm gonna have a bit predict for the coming year as seen by The Wallis.

Starting with the Myerscousers. Paul is a strong contender for the NHPC XC league and more than capable of flying his target of 50K You Kay should be in with a shout for top 5 I reckon.

Brian Day is either just being modest or doesn't know how good he is (And it hurts to say this believe me) Brian is an excellent pilot who keeps saying he lacks XC experience...Maybe but he's good and he's no fool, top 5 material without a doubt.

Might as well mention Miskin and Guthrie here as obvious choices but I honestly believe given the weather and the chances for people to get out they won't have it all their way this year. I reckon they will have to work to win the NHPC XC.

Gary Stenhouse often gets stick for the gliders he flies but can you knock his enthusiasm...Never! Can you help liking him Never! Will he win the club XC league this year Never! But I bet he's knocking right on the door.

Chris Forster the quiet man with much potential and so hungry. Another possible winner of the XC league, never write this guy off.

Ron Donaldson. The bloke's amazing I just hope I can fly as well as that when I'm 55. So much skill so much bottle so much experience and still so bloody hungry. He's my inspiration and has been for ages. Just can't rule this guy out from anything or any comp.

Neil Smith. Once flew 50k from Whether Fell and won the 2008 winter XC League. Loads of bottle very hungry but unsettled with his glider which is a major problem.

Alastair Wolf....Hmm Fantastic flying in South Africa ...Really good but never came up with the goods over here. If this man can turn it on in the UK he could also be a potential winner. He obviously has the skills and stamina (4 hour flight) Hmmm one to watch.

One other bloke I should mention not that I really want to is Maltby. I Haven't know him very long so I don't know what he capable of. He had a lucky break on his Zulu in 2007 from Cross Fell when he was hoovered away. Had a nice flight from Staggs this year also. If he'd uploaded all his flights and there were many most not less than an hour the 2008 league would have looked different. If he enters his flights this guy is the dark horse.......Nay laddie Nay.........

Chris Little Colin Chapman Bill Scott Wendy Patterson John Watson Paul Smith Mad Dog None of these pilots can be ruled out from pulling good flights from out of the bag if they can get the weather on their days off.

Ronnie Freeman. Got the skill got the knowledge but also got his school to run so this is not so easy for him to just go XC. He's joined the club team event so maybe the Freeman will do something on the PG this year... Always very capable so you can't rule this guy out of anything....A real Maverick in the nicest sense.

To everyone else in the club (I've just run down the top 24 in the XC league) enjoy 2009 and whatever your asperations enjoy this great sport.

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

PS Ronnie, I love ya man, but if ya pull that off I'll have ya babies.
Careful now Ali, he's got a power unit and didn't specify!
Some strange things go on oop there by the sea in Newbiggin you may be in for a treat!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
jill mcgeachie
Chatty

Post by jill mcgeachie »

Well I thought I would add my bit, even though I didnt fly a lot last year, weather, work etc.

My aspirations this year are like Dave's. I want to leave the hill and fly away even if its only a few K's then a walk, I want to get away. I want to do at least 20K, thats not much compared to some of you but this is my post.

I also want to try new gliders, and I can hear Stuart thinking "you dont need a new glider, you cant afford a new glider yadda yadda" :D And he's right I cant afford it but like Kay, I can dream.

So, with all these good vibes we have posted, bring on the weather and lets have a great time flying and fulfilling our hopes. 8)

Jill
This my year - 2009!
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

2008 was for me one of the most enjoyable and quality years so far. An exciting tandem xc. Some stunning xc in Scotland over the cairngorms. A slow summer had one or two gems to relive over and over. The best thing has been that all my flights were shared with other pilots so thanks Naomi, Jules, Dave T, John S and others - share a thermal with a friend, it makes you feel good :)

This year I'm hoping to make the most of it with some XC flying on the tandem with Naomi. More quality flying on the continent please (the British weather followed me in 2008). Definitely more highland flying, particularly the start of the year - spectacular. I also am still waiting to share a good flight with Ali, get out of bed earlier man! My main aim though is not to spin my wing.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I think Gary Sten has got some serious competition this year now that he has sold alan an RS although Alan spends most of his time on the ridge he's a damn good pilot and I think this glider is just what he needs to give him a boost in motivation.
alan westmoreland
Chatty
Full Name: Alan westmoreland

Post by alan westmoreland »

CHEERS COLIN I WILL PAY YOU YOUR FEE LATER LOL :wink: Seriously i would just like to get out and about and have a bit crack with the lads and hopefully get some good flights in :)
happily flying the mosquito/wasp since 2001
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

First and foremost, to get the year through without breaking anything.
To get at least 1 XC from a Cheviot site. Distance......Anything
To get at least 2 XC from X-Fell. 1 of which is equal to or greater than Steve Gills. Again without breaking anything.

And finally, to get the paragliding CP finished once and for all.

Oh, did i mention not to break anything?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Well XC isn't my number one goal in 2009. Lets call it adventure paragliding - 8)
Flying off big hills and mountains in the UK & abroad.
Cheviot, Scafell, Snowdon, Ben Nevis, Munroes, Alps :!: :lek:
I'll be making more trips to the highlands with our new Scooby campervan
Either fell running, hiking or even mountaineering with the paraglider.
If you get to the summit and can't fly then you've had a good day out.
I'll being using more of the speedwing and getting in some exciting fly-downs from the big ones on light wind days. (and some high wind soaring as well)
I'll try and get XC whenever I can and with more trips to Scotland then maybe I'll get over 25k in the UK this year!
Anyone else want to join me :?: I know a few already who will be :shock:
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Oh and do some more tandem flights in the big hills as well. More video adventures on there way. Watch this space :)