Groundhandling Sites

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

GlennP
Regular

Groundhandling Sites

Post by GlennP »

Being a recent newcomer to the NE and still having to use the Sat Nav to get me to the shops I was wondering if anyone knew of any places near to Newcastle to do ground handling without getting any hassle from chavs and the police?

I know the town moor is nearby but since there is usually livestock in it and it s probably difficult to launch a wet wing when you are up to your knees in cow shit I'm looking for an alternative.

Your sensible suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Glenn
You are only as good as your last flight........
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Just a wee point please make sure you are insured if you intend to ground handle in a public place. There have been cases down south of members of public being taken out by wings, which due to the pilots not being fully qualified (c.p. rated) they were unisured and hense problems have occured and ground handling has been banned from a number of public parks.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

The Town Moor is as good as anywhere Glen. I usually go to the corner where the Blue House Roundabout is as there is a parking laybye. Walk well onto the Moor and play. If this weekend is Kack I'll go down for an hour or so if you're interested.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Aye... we have had some fun with impromptu ground handling comps on the town moor....
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
GlennP
Regular

The Town Moor

Post by GlennP »

I only ever seem to get wet feet and covered in shit on the moor.

I found a little corner adjacent to Exhibition Park which is drier and firmer than in the middle near the hills, and I can walk it from my house , BUT it can be chav central at times and some members of the public seem to be drawn to walk up to the wing when i'm half way through the launch.

I am a CP Gordie so I am making presumtion that the BHPA Insurance covers me for ground handling. If I'm not right I'll need to look at coming to some arrangement with a local landowner and using their facilities.

I'd appreciate a bit of company on the moor John for a few tips on handling.

Thanks,

Glenn
GlennP
Regular

Ground Handling

Post by GlennP »

The reason I mentioned the Police is because I was approached by a copper asking me why I had landed on a field near the town centre....

After a while I convinced him I hadnt dropped in from the sky.

Just being a pedant but... what is the score if the area you are handling in lies inside a CTR for the local airport? I presume (again) that since we are simply kiting the wing we are OK as we will never exceed the 200ft limit for kiting unless my lines have deteriorated badly since the last time I used the glider.

Thanks for the offer of a bit of ground handling company. Much appreciated. Hope the weather is good enough not to need to ground handle though.

Glenn
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Sorry Glen did not explain myself very well. You are fully insured as a c.p. rated pilot. If you a pilot is still under training then they are not insured when outside the school, even groundhandling. Hense the problems in public places however there is nothing to stop anybody if they are on private land with the owners concent.

The point about air space is a good one, being attatched to an aircraft even when on the ground with in controlled air space.......... Luckly don't have that issue in Cumbria
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

The rugby field on the sea front at Blyth is ok, just not when they are playing though! Dry, fairly sh@t free and the model aircraft stay their distance, you are though just inside airspace so don't hop too high. I did joke with my son that he could be arrested for airlaw infringement when he used to kite there on a mountain board and get some good jumps.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

what is the score if the area you are handling in lies inside a CTR for the local airport
You should know the score with your experience Glen, you need an air transceiver using 119.70 and it would go something like this.

"Newcastle Tower GBSKYSURFER currently 3 miles to the south of the field 1 P.O.B 6 foot on the airfield QFE requesting lift and walk forward" :D
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Neil
Chatty
Full Name: Neil Smith

Post by Neil »

who's going to take the blame for posting the details of our premier ground handling site on the open forum i suggest we put this in the private section. I think your tong in cheek attitude to air traffic control nauseating and just the sort of immature banter that gives the sport a bad name.
never waste a hard on and don't trust a fart
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

ground handling

Post by chrisfozz »

Is this three turnpoint ground handling or OLC???
crook_101
Chatty

Post by crook_101 »

If anyone ever needs an out of the way ground handling site - there is a perfect one approx 200 yards away from my house..........a grassed over earth baffle approx 25ft high on one side and 15 foot on the other. The baffle runs the length of a football pitch and has a clear area of 80 yards on the other. No chavs etc, driveable(!) and takes SE - WSW and NW - ENE on the other. There are no obstructions upwind on the southerly side and the airflow is pretty smooth. Always a thought if the dales are blown out.

I have actually soared the baffle, so if anyone is really keen to boost their comp distances......... :lol: :lol:

Details will be released upon collection of funds via Paypal, AMEX etc :P

If you want to know, let me know.

Cheers,
crook_101
:vilain:
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Beaconsfield is good - across road from Tynemouth Beach by St Georges Church :)
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

The same sort of care needs to be taken when ever opening up an umbrella, always check your insurance policy will cover this and be aware of any public with in the area, also be well aware of any exclusion zones that maybe in effect.

I think there are also different laws and rules for golfing umbrellas so please ensure your fully rated for the type of brolly you use other wise problems may occur.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Fingers wrote:The same sort of care needs to be taken when ever opening up an umbrella, always check your insurance policy will cover this and be aware of any public with in the area, also be well aware of any exclusion zones that maybe in effect.

I think there are also different laws and rules for golfing umbrellas so please ensure your fully rated for the type of brolly you use other wise problems may occur.
You should know Fingers as umbrella's are the nearest to free flight you get these days :D Infact as you are such an expert in such maters you could be the first to organise this facet of our sport, Governing body: British Umbrella Movement (B.U.M) with its members know as BUM'ers......
GlennP
Regular

letting the cat out of the bag

Post by GlennP »

I do wish to apologise for leaking the details of the the North Easts premier ground handling venue, out on the open forum, without thinking about the consequenses.

The Moor ( see I'm using code now) could become deluged with pilots travelling many miles to abuse our cherished facility and possibly upset a nearby landowner or chav , resulting in the loss of The Moor to ground handling. Knowing how far the internet reaches we could see overseas pilots landing at Alan Shearer International with the intention of dragging their wing around a boggy corner of The Moor without contacting the club and with the potential to upset local chavs and the like.

I was at one stage actually thinking of posting a grid ref and brief description on an alternative forum eg unsatisfying forward launch follwed by less than 10 seconds of uninspiring 'flight'. Thankfully I have been put right before embarking on such a crazy adventure and compromising a valuable resource.

I ve sent a letter of apology and a small bottle of Aldi s finest Scotch to the controllers at Alan Shearer International as compensation for my lassez faire attitude to aviation safety and controlled airspace. I have returned my CP to the relevant authorities and sold my wing on ebay for bringing our sport into disrepute.

I ve now taken up stamp collecting for my kicks.

GBskysurfer signing off.....
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Great to see you now know how this club REALLY operates!

Keep up the great posts.

After all we are going to get f**k flying by the look of it..... :D :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
crook_101
Chatty

Post by crook_101 »

Hi Glenn,

Sorry to hear about the demise of your para CP. Don't worry though as you now have a new CP rating - capable poster. You will find you will get a lot more use out of this CP & also much cheaper than obtaining your last CP rating :lol: :lol:

crook_101
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Gordie, I do believe the estranged (or is it just strange) Fingers has recently passed his full aviation license for MPU (Mary Poppins Umbrella) to add to his WB and HP licenses (Witches Broomstick and Harry Potter), so be very careful when soaring the cliffs of Seaton Sluuice, as I believe he has some very potent medicine in his carpet bag!
And certainly don't walk around there, because he has a habit of sh**ing on you from a great height. :o
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

I am many things to many men and women Brian, but shi$$ing on people is something I have never understood nor taken part of. Correct me if I am wrong, or have misunderstood your meaning.?
Neil
Chatty
Full Name: Neil Smith

Post by Neil »

I would like to get my bummer's licence . does anybody know of a local Parasol training centre. Iv recently tried a kagool but fancy the full brolly. Today I got very wet working in the rain all day and realised that i need professional coaching. Is seaton sluice my nearest local site. I'm not sure i want to advance to deflecting falling shite so soon. :roll:
never waste a hard on and don't trust a fart
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Well due to demand I will have to look into securing a site for level 1 Brolly training, I will look at all aspects of this new and exciting sport.

Ground Handling, very important which would include some interesting training techniques to musical sound tracks which helps with the "spinning round in a circle, brolly straight in front with arms straight" dive.

Training wardrobe and landing mattress, where you will first experience a taste of being airborne.

Street Law, essential for safety on the curb when brollying with others.

Cycle Towing with Roller Skates, this all revolves around us getting permission from all residents with a 3000 feet radius of the site, but we will be calling on them all and asking them very nicely.

So, I think we have it all covered, but it all revolves around the permission of others, insurance and the kindness of strangers. As for dear old Mr and Mrs Paininthearse who scuppered our well intentioned plans for a hanky waving school last year, well I hear since their dog was poisoned mysteriously there not long for this world. So we should have no bother there.
crook_101
Chatty

Post by crook_101 »

If you keep up with your new instructor role Steve, I would be interested in a SIB course- Simulated Incidence en Broll - I trust that you will arrange the insurance for this dangerous course and provide a roller skate for them all important retrieves....... :lol:

God I need a flight....... :wink:
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I am many things to many men and women Brian, but shi$$ing on people is something I have never understood nor taken part of. Correct me if I am wrong, or have misunderstood your meaning.?
Must just be the seagulls down the coast then! (never really thought of it in a literal sense Steve, more tainted towards your 'dogged sense of humor' really. :wink:
Are you considering investing in a number of umbrellas of various sizes and colours for you training school?
Perhaps a few little pink frilly ones for the girls?
Your very own mobile carpet bag, with heating and a shower?
Portable lamp posts with showers attached and anti dog spray to keep the obvious lamp post / dog problems at bay.
Was it you that poisoned Mr & Mrs Paininthearse's dog you evil man? :twisted:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01