we need a winch

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

GlennP
Regular

we need a winch

Post by GlennP »

Who said winching was boring

http://youtu.be/WU_VmXLZSvc
You are only as good as your last flight........
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

I signed up with the Cayley club to try this out sometime this year - if we had our very nhpc winch would be a fun' low wind day out now and again.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

We've had 2 winches in the club but got limited use probably because of the waiting time to get a launch and the small flight at the end of the release.

A bunch of hang glider pilots built one a few years back which included me and John Miller. John was the main man and he built it from photos and measurements from Tony Webb of Lejair. Ron Freeman had a state of the art double Koch Winch but sold it for whatever reason

Tony Anderson was keen to start an aerotow group in the Tyne Valley I put my name down as a tug pilot to fly the microlight this would have been hang gliding only though.

I've got loads of photos somewhere of the NHPC winch :roll:

I think most pilots find it better to go to the hills where you don't have to wait and can fly as much as you want without queuing. Plus you need a crew to operate the winch and signals petrol costs somewhere to keep it maintenance BHPA tow endorsement etc etc.

If I lived in the flat lands I'd say great idea but with so many hills in easy reach Naaaa not worth the hassle.

The towing up bit was pretty exciting mind you :)
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 12535 times
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

A winch would be epic; simple. But it has to be in the correct location otherwise it will be useless; take a look at the XC Lent winch location and the flight they have done from there.

After finding an appropriate winch location the next most important thing is getting a winchman who know's his stuff.

In terms of waiting to fly it's rarely a problem so long as there's no faffing.

The winch driver is the only additional person you need as with a little practise the last pilot to leave can signal himself off..... not officially of course.

Ali
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

The winch driver is the only additional person you need as with a little practise the last pilot to leave can signal himself off..... not officially of course.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Not being an XC pilot location means squat to me i just want to get up and piss about
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Would this work!!!!
http://youtu.be/pqe4lWOa3Ok
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Brilliant :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

berow wrote:Would this work!!!!
http://youtu.be/pqe4lWOa3Ok
10 out of 10 for trying 😄

My first ever tandem was from a motor boat winch in Cuba - great buzz did about 15 mins in the air and never looked back since.

Appreciate it must be done safely but on the right day in the right place a winch looks fun for a day out now and again playing and flying around on flatlands.

Anyway I'll be trying it out sometime this year with the Cayley club - I think they winch up from a disused airfield near York if anyone fancies coming along
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

I'd give it a shot.
I'm also up for helping to set up our own somewhere if help is required 8)
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Winching

Post by ron freeman »

The Koch winch is the best way to go, brilliant piece of kit ! I decided to sell it to buy equipment needed to keep the school going at the time + its not easy finding someone who is will to give up there flying time to help other into the sky..

The problem you will have are.. finding someone who likes winching pilots to see them enjoying themselves and you standing on the ground ! (rare breed)

Finding a site long enough for at least a 1000m of cable ! (not easy) + the CAA & the BHPA are happy with your chosen site & registered as a tow site.

Qualified staff for - Senior Tow coach - Winch operator + tow launch marshalls

Your winch has to be checked out and passed buy a BHPA official and maintained to BHPA & CAA standards

All tow release bridals to BHPA & CAA certification.

I am more than happy to help with over 15 years of experience winching HG /PG but there is a lot more to it than you think.

like John has explained we are spoilt for choice with having so many good hills close by.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Its a shame ouston airfield is right on the newcastle approach otherwise it would be perfect as a winch site North easterly wind you could XC big distances I know its MOD but im sure use of the main runway could be negotiated now the runways are defunct.

07824 554735
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

It is a shame Colin but there's neeee chance
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I know as its in newcastle control zone

07824 554735
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

I've looked at the possibility of winch flying in Northumberland for years now and to be honest the main stumbling block is the location. To me there are only a few options the best one being the high fells and fields on the Allendale. Location is everything to successful winch flying with altitude and reliable local thermal sources being key to this. The XC lent club have it nailed. Their site is long and on top of a hill with slopes at each quarter subsequently their membership is restricted to 15 and there's a long list of people wanting to get in.... thankfully a special dispensation was allowed for honorary members living more than 200 miles away.
Don't get me wrong it is not the answer to all our problems but it would do two things; site selection would become easy (winch can work in any direction) and if put in the correct place would make a record distance flight from Northumberland a much more likely occurrence.
The XC Lent club get around enthusing someone to drive the winch by each person chucking in a tenner.

Let me put my money where my mouth is if we were ever to get serious about establishing a winch operation I would stump up 50% of the cost of the winch no questions ask... it would produce some really interesting flying and avoid a load of driving round the country side.

Ali

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

I've looked at the possibility of winch flying in Northumberland for years now and to be honest the main stumbling block is the location. To me there are only a few options the best one being the high fells and fields on the Allendale. Location is everything to successful winch flying with altitude and reliable local thermal sources being key to this. The XC lent club have it nailed. Their site is long and on top of a hill with slopes at each quarter subsequently their membership is restricted to 15 and there's a long list of people wanting to get in.... thankfully a special dispensation was allowed for honorary members living more than 200 miles away.
Don't get me wrong it is not the answer to all our problems but it would do two things; site selection would become easy (winch can work in any direction) and if put in the correct place would make a record distance flight from Northumberland a much more likely occurrence.
The XC Lent club get around enthusing someone to drive the winch by each person chucking in a tenner.

Let me put my money where my mouth is if we were ever to get serious about establishing a winch operation I would stump up 50% of the cost of the winch no questions ask... it would produce some really interesting flying and avoid a load of driving round the country side.

Ali

Mehdi
Chatty

Post by Mehdi »

Live life like you mean it.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

winch

Post by ron freeman »

There you go Ali a winch on Ebay ! the club can pay for the other half no problem, you will need a quad or trial bike + trailer for pulling the cable back to launch.

Medi I've seen this winch in action on Youtube and it looks under powered, I do think it will struggle with the big guys also Tandem towing would be nice and this winch would not do that.

Only joking Ali.. If members are serious about doing this everyone should chip in with the costs, that way you will have commitment with everyone doing there bit.

Towing is great fun but remember you can only get away from any site when good flying condition allow, think about when you are soaring how many times are you able to take off and go to cloud base within 8-10 mins !(and that's a good tow) because that's aprox the time you will have to hook a thermal, not lose it.. and do the business.

Towing is a different art of flying and it will take time to get it right.

A perfect site will need to take SW - NE + SE - NW to cover all wind directions and that is a big area.. or you could have 2 sites to cover most wind directions. 8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

That's quite a clever set up but you wouldn't be very popular if you hooked a thermal and took the remote away with you.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

as much as I love the idea I just think we live in the wrong part of the country.
the other is I know I could not be bothered to be hanging about waiting for my turn though would happily pay per tow if others enjoyed running the tow.

the other is how small are field are compared to the south of england