Wet wings

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Wet wings

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

Would anyone on here fly a wet wing when I say wet I mean WET heavy and shiny with moisture literally dripping off in flight ?
What are the dangers ?

Cheers

Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Say After me.
Our farther which art in heaven Haaaa----
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Have done it on a speedwing getting caught out in a downpour on take off and wings were saturated, I think theres a little bit more tolerance before they drop out of the sky Wouldn't be so keen on a paraglider particularly if forced to get down quickly big ears aren't a good idea on a wet wing or flying slowly always a chance of it stalling and collapses could lead to cascades. Been caught in showers and light snow when flying but nothing more than that If it got really wet I'd get down pretty damn quickly
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I've seen the consequence once, it ended in a ride in an ambulance and a prolonged stay in hospital!!!!!
The surfaces of the wing are proned to stick together if they touch, in a colapse for example, which the wing will be more prone to. Also stall speed will increase.
Just don't!!!!!!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

I flew Saltburn once and saw the rain coming. I decided to stay up and experience the rain. It was surreal as my wing acted as an umbrella. I didn't stay up long for all the reasons that have been mentioned and trying to get my wing dried during a prolonged period of rain wasn't fun. Plus my wing draped over the living room for two days didn't please my wife! Not sure if that helps but there you go...
Graeme Gilroy
Regular

Wet wings

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

Thanks everyone for that I'd heard/read most of those things before, I'm please we do things right up our neck of the woods.
So if you were an instructor you would most definitely not put your pupils at risk by putting em up there on wet wings would you ?

Cheers
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

It sounds mental that any instructor would put pupils up on wet wings! If that was the case, Iain & I would have flown loads on our two week course in Algo as I'm sure Iain will agree!
I won't ask who you're on about Graeme but they wanna have a word with themselves if they go for the money over the safety of the pupils.
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

It sounds mental that any instructor would put pupils up on wet wings! If that was the case, Iain & I would have flown loads on our two week course in Algo as I'm sure Iain will agree!
I won't ask who you're on about Graeme but they wanna have a word with themselves if they go for the money over the safety of the pupils.
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

It wasn't me but.... It's more higher rated modern wings that have issues when wet, increased stall speed etc. However lower rated wings will fly fine even if they have just come out of a lake, infact the best way to dry a wing is to fly it. Forward launching will be tricker but with a bit of wind rev will work. Water may pool a bit in the trailing edge but will find it's way out. So if I were your instructor and you were on a soggy wing with the wind on the hill I would be happy to fly you. Heavy snow though is a no no as it packs in your trailing edge, increasing AOA and finally resulting in stall. You should thank your I instructor for putting the effort I and getting you out on a crappy day when you may not of flown.
Graeme Gilroy
Regular

Wet wings

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

Thanks for that Gordie , good to hear an alternative opinion from one so respected in the community , but still don't think I'd be flying a wet wing, as they say "there's always another drier day "

Cheers

Graeme
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

gordie wrote:It wasn't me but.... It's more higher rated modern wings that have issues when wet, increased stall speed etc. However lower rated wings will fly fine even if they have just come out of a lake, infact the best way to dry a wing is to fly it. Forward launching will be tricker but with a bit of wind rev will work. Water may pool a bit in the trailing edge but will find it's way out. So if I were your instructor and you were on a soggy wing with the wind on the hill I would be happy to fly you. Heavy snow though is a no no as it packs in your trailing edge, increasing AOA and finally resulting in stall. You should thank your I instructor for putting the effort I and getting you out on a crappy day when you may not of flown.
Very surprised to read this? My thinking is a wet cloth wing will not fly well no matter what type it is, the massive increase in weight alone is not going to bode well. The stall speed is going to be increased no matter what performance the wing is, why would it not? Like I say my thinking, but during my time flying I never came across any instructor or fellow pilot saying thay thought it ok to fly a soggy wing. I personally think it folly.

As for thanking the instructor for making an effort, are they doing it for free these days?
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Bloody he'll Fingers I though you were dead, I'm chuffed I managed to shake your happy little bones back into life! So you've never flown a wet wing then? Shame just think how much more flying you could of had and it's much more fun being soggy, didn't you know that? Might even have put a smile on your face.... Ok maybe not.

Seriously though ' the don't fly when wet' specifically effects modern top end wings. Lower rated and older wings are fine as their wing section is not so finely flying. I as many other pilots have flown numerous times soaked to the skin with water pouring off my wing down my lines, it's fine.

Right off to count the millions I have made ripping the public off teaching aviation ;0)
Last edited by gordie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Oh and Brians comment about the accident. The result of the investigation pointed to the fact the pilot had drunk 3pints of beer just before flying that day as a large factor leading to the incident more so the the resulting damp conditions when the pilot chose to heavily try and pump big ears out in gusty conditions.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I suppose flying at cloud base does get a bit damp! Would never do that though :roll:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

steve if i am not misteken did you and billy not end up flying cumrew in soaking conditions?
when i used to kite surf open foil wings i never noticed any problems with the wet wing just a bit slower off the ground, mind on the IP6 enzo r10 then you defo would not

cheers Gary
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I think we must be talking about different accidents Gordie. The one I saw was at Shinning Tor, had nothing to do with drink or big ears, just an old wing, heavy clag and top end winds. Can't comment on how it started but saw the wing with about 60% stuck together, the pilot managed to keep it flying straight ish, but unfortunately the hill got in the way. The instructor from the school I had just passed with explained what had happened to me and warned me about flying with wet wings and what the potential dangers were.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

gary stenhouse wrote:steve if i am not misteken did you and billy not end up flying cumrew in soaking conditions?
when i used to kite surf open foil wings i never noticed any problems with the wet wing just a bit slower off the ground, mind on the IP6 enzo r10 then you defo would not

cheers Gary
Where did you hear that Gaz? Never flown a wet wing, nor seen anyone else do so.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

I've seen you and Billy Boy flying in thunder storms with lightening crashing around your heads in torrential downpours just for the thrill of it I'm pleased you took up course fishing instead
Any more of that nonsense and I would have to report you to our new safety officer for retrospective reprimanding and custodial sentencing :idea:
Feel the fear and do it anyway!