When do you decide to increase glider performance ?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

When do you decide to increase glider performance ?

Post by ron freeman »

Paragliders are becoming much easier to fly, more forgiving with better performance so how do you decide to go for an increase in performance without going to far ?

This could be an interesting debate, please stick your thoughts down as to help others make a good decision.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I would have thought it would be when your glider no longer does what you need it to too. e.g your outflying your glider, and not your glider outflying you, for example once I have pushed the acro as far as my DHV1-2 will let me I will then move onto a DHV2 freestyle wing then once i progress beyond manouvers that freestyle wings can handle i'll move onto full acro but i think by then the freestyle wings will be good enough for nearlly all the tricks by then
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

when you want too? we all have different motivations and reasons why we want to move up to the next level.

what i do know that when you have to ask others, will i be ok to fly the next step up then mentally you may not be, even if your skills are good enough.

the problem is with flying there is no ABC to where you are in the skills of flying, like running racing etc.

i like to go between high performance and lower performace to judge whether doing so will increase the overall flying experience, and sometimes it does but you always wonder is it putting a bigger smile on your face.

we all who fly xc are always looking for the ultimate wing within your given skill set, good question but sometimes you need to push your skills to be able to gain more experience.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Yes' Nicely put. Gary.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
GlennP
Regular

next wing up

Post by GlennP »

Says something when experienced pilots tell me that a Gin Bolero was the best wing they've had and they wished they'd never have sold it.
You are only as good as your last flight........
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

That depends who you consider to be experienced and if their mate has one for sale!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

i must say the better the wing the better the performance the more you can fly in a range of conditions
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

best wing around at the moment is the mentor 1
and would you believe it i have one for sale :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I HATE COMPUTERS
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

come on !

Post by ron freeman »

Come on gentlemen lets just have your views and keep this thread going.. its very interesting 8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Wing sellection

Post by Kitt Rudd »

I kind of agree with Gary, though not his point "when you want to" that to me is dangerous but with the point that if you have to ask someone then the time is not right. (y)

The reason why I disagree with Gary's initial response is that unfortunately not everyone is good at knowing what is best for themself - otherwise we would never drink more than one glass of wine with our dinner. Likewise it is important not to let ambition, blind your judgement. Thankfully wing performance is increasing across all category's so it is not always necessary to move into a higher Category just to get better performance.

I have never asked anyone whether a wing is right for me or not and I have in the past been on some horrors especially when I was flying proto wings ( thankfully not any with my current brand). But I have always listened to the advice of others just in case they are seeing things more clearly than my ambition may allow.

So my advice is, it is likely you will know when it is right to move up - but if you have internal questions about your decisions listen too them and failing that listen to your friends.

Kitt
Last edited by Kitt Rudd on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

Another good thing is to always try and learn from others experiences and also to pick the brains of those that you know have been flying a long time.
I just watched a fantastic video from Russell Ogden and could not believe how good the knowledge base that I have picked up from very experienced pilots that I know and trust. However you always have to make your own decisions as paragliding I a lone sport once you’re up there. The more you fly the more you know but never think you know it all because you don’t and you will never stop learning.
The problem is the sport is too easy or at least that’s how it seems when you first start, or it was for me. However the more you fly you quickly realise that mistakes our not forgiven not when gravity plays the upper hand.
Fly wisely listen to others watch videos as it all helps to keep you focused and ready to move up, but remember the new EN B are so good that the difference on most ridge days makes not a lot on a D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YVbdaLc1jk
Lloyd
Chatty

Post by Lloyd »

Thanks for the link Gary.
Our spot is one that is easy to lean and hard to master. We need to teach pilots to made better decision on the ground and in the air.
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

I've found that stepping up to a higher performance/modern glider does make it easier to fly that bit further Also its great to get more feedback of whats going on in the surrounding air
It gives you more incentive to get out and learn to fly a new wing which is really satisfying. The newer wings with plastic rods seem to be more collapse resistant and definitely have good performance BUT You need to accept the risks of stepping up to a new category and balance this against the rewards of getting better performance and going further
I think you have to be honest with yourself and consider whether you really actively fly and react quickly to counter potential collapses and whether you can deal with them for the category of wing you are flying
When the 'poo hits the pan' do you really want to be on that wing
If your ambition is to go XC and fly further and you understand and justify the risks thats fine
I think its as much about the conditions we fly in as well as the wing you fly and everyone should have a consideration of these for themselves and others
Feel the fear and do it anyway!