important changes for model ridge please read before flying

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

important changes for model ridge please read before flying

Post by gary stenhouse »

Changes at Model Ridge
Model Ridge has been purchased by a new landowner, who plans to develop the facilities.
He has submitted planning approval to:-
• Re-furbish and re-open the cafe in 2013
• Build an amenities block with improved toilets and shower facilities
• Develop a farm shop selling locally produced meat
However, he (and his insurers) has concerns over:-
• The wide range of unstructured or uncontrolled activities on his land, including potentially unsocial activities such as wild camping/fires/raves/paramotoring/trials bikes etc
• Haphazard car parking on recently seeded verges.
Under instruction from his insurers, he has written to the NYSC and requested all flying activities cease forthwith
Representatives from the NYSC committee have contacted and subsequently met with the new owner and given him the following assurances.
The club will regulate and control all paragliding and hangliding activities
Ensure ALL pilots (whether intending to fly, or simply ground handling) are both NYSC members and fully paid up BHPA members (and be able to prove such)
Assist in the management of the site by actively promoting litter control, parking cars responsibly and ensure pilots behave in a civilised manner.
The owner has allowed us to fly within these conditions under a trial period , however, any breach in our administration may cause him to re-evaluate this courtesy.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

How fortunate we are in the Paragliding World that the new owner of, Model Ridge in Cleveland is willing to allow us flyers to take of and land there, And all we have to do is, “Stick to the Rules” I must thank, John Lewes and his team for bring the new landowner on board
Very well done.

Where would we be with out Model.
Last edited by RonDon on Thu May 17, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Eddie Davis
Chatty
Full Name: Eddie Davis

Post by Eddie Davis »

Now theres a suprise NYSC members only.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Good news

Post by ron freeman »

Good news for the NYSC and hope they can build up a good relationship with the new landowner

Its also brilliant the we have a govening body like the 'BHPA' without them there would be lots of sites lossed. The 3,000,000 third party insurance goes a long way for landowners to accept us.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Pretty sure the current BHPA insurance is £5m for land owners protection and £2m for third party liability. But yes thumbs up for the BHPA and those canny Yorkshire men of the NYSC.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

EDDIE DAVIS wrote:Now theres a suprise NYSC members only.
It isnt just NYSC members out of spite its because NYSC cant offer assurances on behalf of the wider community.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
nickonanova
Mingling

Post by nickonanova »

EDDIE DAVIS wrote:Now theres a suprise NYSC members only.
so it would have been better to lose the site all together? a lot of work went into keeping model as a flying site, the new owner has spent a lot of money buying the site and intends to spend a lot more on improvements, i think he has the right to set down rules. The old days of John allowing people to do as they please are sadly gone, we need to make a good impression and move on from there.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Well said Nick

Post by ron freeman »

For a membership of fifteen quid its a bargain !

How about our club giving a donation to the NYSC to hold a welcome party for the new landowner and they can see and hear what flying means to us all :wink:
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i must say its a shame john sold out but can understand the new owners worries. i think we have to try and all pull togeather as i would say we all fly model or carlton more than any of the northumbrian norths and north wests.

my worry is we loose club members as a result as now i am a member of 3 clubs because of member only sites so i guess its now 4.

i dont have a beef about it, its just more hastle for club membership secrataries to sort out and try and get money in.

cheers gary
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Just an idea but i wonder if we can strike up a deal with NYSC for a reduced rate maybe a membership that allows us to fly their sites but doesnt allow us voting rights and so on but it would mean that they have our details so we can be made aware of changes to sites and so on which im summising is the reason it is members only. Just an idea. I mean I know £15 really is a small sum of money but like you say it soon adds up when you have multiple memberships. Then add in BHPA and insurance for flying abroad and this FREEflying aint so cheap all of a sudden.

07824 554735
Eddie Davis
Chatty
Full Name: Eddie Davis

Post by Eddie Davis »

Regarding my last post.
I have never stated that the NYSC have changed the status of Model ridge to members only out of spite.
I have been a fully paid up member of the BHPA and NHPC for the last 5 years. In this time I have, as a visiting pilot flown Carlton Bank 3 times, Model Ridge 5 times and had always felt welcome there.
However the NYSC have recently stopped visiting pilots from flying Carlton (Members only)
On my last visit to fly Model I had a conversation with some locals, one of them commented that the new owner will kick the likes of me (paraglider pilot) off Model Ridge.
I now find that as a visiting pilot wishing to fly either of these two sites I will be required to become a fully paid up member of the NYSC.
I don’t think the member’s only rule will have much effect on NHPC members as I believe its members who regularly fly on Model and Carlton are already paid up members of the NYSC.
I understand there has been lots of work done to keep model Ridge as a paragliding site. “Well done”.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Carlton bank became members only because visiting pilots were not adhering to the rules

07824 554735
RichardC
Chatty

Polite reminder

Post by RichardC »

I would remind everyone that MODEL RIDGE is currently at risk.

We have had quite a few non members accessing and flying model ridge.

We have, once again, been asked by the land owner to make sure everyone flying model ridge are members of the NYSC and have current BHPA membership.

Please could you follow these rules laid down to us so we are able to enjoy the continued use of model ridge and don't loose it for ever.

Thanks