C2C

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

C2C

Post by bill-scott »

a few of us are doing the coast to coast on 23,24,25th July the definates at the moment are alister and susan wolf chris foster colin chapman and myself but the more the merrier so if your interested add your name below we'll be sorting out the details at the next meeting
I HATE COMPUTERS
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

One week out Bill me and Kate are doing it the first week in August I hope you have a grand time. :)
GlennP
Regular

c2c

Post by GlennP »

if I'd have spotted your post sooner I'd have had a go. Love doing the C2C its a great ride.

Might still be a chance.

Are you camping as well?
You are only as good as your last flight........
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

no campiong b&b's hot showers and comfy beds
I HATE COMPUTERS
Neil
Chatty
Full Name: Neil Smith

Post by Neil »

Id like to join you but will not know for sure for another week.
when do you have to book the accomodation?
never waste a hard on and don't trust a fart
GlennP
Regular

c2c

Post by GlennP »

have you booked already Bill?

Depending on the cost/accomodation and if it's OK with you fellas I might come along for the ride so to speak.

How many days are you doing it in?
GlennP
Regular

c2c

Post by GlennP »

I m a definate Bill. Will have to dust my bike off and get my arse into shape.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Re: c2c

Post by colin keightley »

GlennP wrote:Will have to dust my bike off and get my arse into shape.
Just buy a bigger saddle :lol: :lol:
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Just an update from Wednesdays meeting.

The suggestion is to start at Whitehaven on the Saturday morning, cycle to Greystoke (just west of Carlisle) and stay there overnight. Sunday is Greystoke to Allenheads, where we can stay at Allenheads inn, and then Monday is Allenheads to the coast.

As for getting there, Neil has offered the services of one of his works vans plus a driver. That means the van can take the bikes over friday afternoon, and we can all get the train. Trains leave Newcastle at 3:23 (arriving 6:15) or 4:22 (arriving 7pm).

Chris Fosters sister has made some enquiries about accommodation, and Bill will be posting about this shortly. As I understand it we have somewhere that will take all 10 of us on the Friday night in Whitehaven, The Allenheads Inn for Sunday night, and possibly Greystoke on the Saturday night.

Should be a great weekend!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
antobaird
Mingling

Post by antobaird »

It's a great trip.

A variation to consider is the track up to the XFell take off and over to Garragil. I did that a few years ago and it was a nice alternative to the motorbikes on Hartside - though it does involve pushing/carrying both up and downhill (a little) at the top. Full-suss bike would also be an advantage!
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

why arn,t you coming anto :?:

as alistar has already said things are starting to come together the bike transport is sorted I suggest everyone book there own train tickets so that it leaves some flexibility with times etc (but wait until accomadation is confirmed just in case)

There may be some slight changes made with where we stay because of the numbers
Chris foster,s sister susan has done a great job sorting out the digs and is happy to book and pay deposits (clap)
I suggest as soon as bookings are made we get the money to her asap as she doesnt know any of us and is doing a great deal on trust
Also below is a list of those taking part and bookings are about to be made in your name so this is the llast chance to drop out if you drop out at a latter date we might still want some money of you :cry:

Bill Scott
Alistar Wolf
Susan Wolf
Colin chapman
Chris Foster
Susan (chris's sister)
Ron Don
Neil Smith
Glen Pringle
I think thats everyone.
(hope I havent missed anyone I thought there was ten) :D
If you want to join in with the group make sharp.
However anyone could join us anytime along the route but if your not on the list you will have to make your own arrangements
Thats about it for now so for further info watch this space
I HATE COMPUTERS
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

You're usually doing it ( and the C2C) in the last week of term, this time I'll be in church at my son's wedding, maybe next time? Apparently doing BBQ on Sunday, but if there's no surf I'll try and join you for the final day.
Sorry to miss the fun again.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

just heard from Chris accomodation is now sorted were all in the same place :D :D :D
i will post latter with more details and prices as soon as i get it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I HATE COMPUTERS
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Sustrans do a brilliant iphone app, covering all of their routes, including the c2c.

It is based on the OS 1:25,000 maps and uses the built in gps to enable your phone to track your position.

And best of all, it is free!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

But you need the battery off a Transit to run it :)

Hope you guys have a mint time.
Colin Chapman
Mingling

Post by Colin Chapman »

Another top program is Motion X GPS which also has a free version. Using the terrain maps which are actually the open cycle maps you can download the route before hand which will save your phones battery so no need to stream the maps through 3G on the move.
The sustrans app which is admittedly still good still needs a few simple updates like bike route numbers marked on the routes and map orientated to the direction of travel not only N but I'm sure these will come. Motion X GPS also gives a lot of geek stuff like average speed, distance covered, altitude ect ect. So is also great for flying too as you can post your flights/walks/rides to all the social networks and to yourself via email to convert to ICG if you wish.

I have used my iPhone 4 over 8hrs as long as you have your maps on the device and turn the screen off when not needed as it will still log. It could never beat a garmin in this respect but a garmin doesn't do half of what Motion X can and they never will. It seems iPhones & Andriods are becoming a must now love or hate em I'm afraid.

Col

Ps for john you are part right with the transit battery, I always carry my booster pack when flying, long walks and rides in case gary ever rings me :p
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

I have just spoken to\ Neil & Chris the bike transport is copnfirmed and so is the accomodation, a small deposit was needed for one of the b&b,s dont know which one but Susan has paid this and we can settle up with her when we see her. So its about time we started looking at train times last time I looked the fare was £16.60 and they ran every couple of houirs or so.
not sure which one to book it would be good if we all got on the same one whats your thoughts.
the last thing to sort out is how and when we can get our bikes to
neil :D
I HATE COMPUTERS
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

TRAIN TIMES:

3:23 from Newcastle gets in at 6:30 whitehaven with one change.

4:23 from Newcastle gets in at 7:23 and is direct.

They are roughly every hour after that. 4:23 is the only direct one.

Susan and I will probably get the 4:23, but get on at Stocksfield.

BAGS

I would prefer if at all possible to cycle without a bag of clothes on my back. It also means that if it does pee down, you at least have dry clothes at the other end.
There is the Sherpa van service from Whitehaven, which could drop bags in Greystoke for £7 a bag. Could we put the bags in your van Colin from Saturday evening?
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

Post by chrisfozz »

I've just got back from a very sunny week on Arran.

This info is from Susan,
Here's the itinery:
Friday 22nd: Chase Hotel in Whitehaven. Booked for 9 people. £35 pp B&B.
Saturday 23rd: Boot and Shoe pub in Greystoke. Booked for 8 people. £40 pp B&B. Don't know what's available in Greystoke (in terms of food) so I've reserved a table for us all including Colin and Wendy. Can be cancelled if there are other opportunities but I'd like to let them know beforehand so let me know if this is not suitable for everyone. I've had to pay £10 pp deposit at this place (the other two places haven't asked for anything).
Sunday: Allenheads Inn. Booked for 7 people. £35 pp B&B. Same again for the evening.
There's a direct train from Newcastle through to Whitehaven which leaves at 16.22 and arrives at 19.23, just in time to dump the bikes and gear and go out on the razzle!

Please give me a call (Chris 07706601065) or post here if there are any problems with the evening meal arrangements, we hope to be on the 16.22 from Newcastle.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Many many thanks Chris (and Sue!).

The arrangements look perfect.

Looking forward to it!
chrisfozz
Regular

Cross Fell

Post by chrisfozz »

Has anyone else considered the Cross Fell option, as per Anto’s suggestion? I’ve been over that way a couple of times on my paraglider and it looks pretty flat to me. Never been to Garragill before so I think I’ll give it a go.
Attachments
xfell2.jpg
xfell2.jpg (147.23 KiB) Viewed 22701 times
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

everything looks flat from 2000'
I HATE COMPUTERS
chrisfozz
Regular

cross fell

Post by chrisfozz »

At first I thought all those brown lines were where I’d put my coffee down on the map but now I realise, given its 882 m high, it cant really be that flat, anyway, seeing as we go there flying quite a lot I though it would be a good idea and a challenge to get to the top by bike. Is no one else tempted?
Attachments
silplanes over wild boar.jpg
silplanes over wild boar.jpg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 22649 times
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Hi Chris,

Very many thanks to you and Susan for all your arrangements.

I will get myself on the 16.22 train from Newcastle on Friday and settle up with you then.

The last time I did the C2C I went over the Cross Fell route and there is a short section where the track is not clear, more so if it is in cloud. I stayed the night in Garrowgill.

PS I spoke to Neil today and he suggested I get my byke to his place tomorrow, he said the bykes will all be locked away.

Thank you

Ron
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
GlennP
Regular

C2C

Post by GlennP »

Hi Fellas,

I'll get the 16.23 train aswell seems like a decent time to head off. I was hoping to dig my bike out of the shed and at least have a long ride on it before setting off on Saturday once the tyres are pumped up.

I#ll give Neil a ring and see when its best to drop the bikes off.

Is anyone carrying their overnight gear on the bike or are people using the sherpa service?

Hope the weather sorts itself out by Friday.

I'll settle up for the deposits etc on Friday as well.

Cheers,

Glenn
Neil
Chatty
Full Name: Neil Smith

Post by Neil »

drop the bikes off at Cms uk LTD, Tyne house, temple st, Gateshead, NE 10 0HN. any time between now and friday lunch. they will be safe locked in an office. £8 per head for the van and driver. call 0191 4950741 if your lost.
the van will be at the station Friday night.
never waste a hard on and don't trust a fart
antobaird
Mingling

Re: Cross Fell

Post by antobaird »

chrisfozz wrote:Has anyone else considered the Cross Fell option, as per Anto’s suggestion? I’ve been over that way a couple of times on my paraglider and it looks pretty flat to me. Never been to Garragill before so I think I’ll give it a go.
I managed to pedal to the normal take off but that was right at the limits of grip and heart capacity in places, after that I pushed over to the hut and then it was a great rolling descent to Garragil.

If I was doing the C2C again I'd definately prefer that route over Hartside - but it's not a good choice if people are averse to a little pushing and carrying.

Have fun on the C2C !
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

We have sorted luggage transfer from Whitehaven to Greystoke, as we have friends who will be joining us for saturdays ride, and they will have a camper van travelling from Whitehaven to Greystoke.

So if you want to take a small bag with a change of clothes etc, it can be dumped in the van saturday morning, and retrieved Saturday evening, meaning you dont have to carry everything on your back.

Weather is looking good at the minute.....
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Hope you all have a blast.

My favorite route to Garrigill is on the bottom of the posted map.

Not sure that the track between N54 40.85 W2 26.00 and N54 41.65 W2 23.00 will be rideable (about 2miles) even on MTB haven't been over on the ground for a while. 8-) However the rest of it should be the black stuff, or as close as you can expect on a hill top.

Bit more info on some of your climbs here http://cumbriancyclist.co.uk/ukclimbs.aspx

Have fun.

T
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

PS Think the Golf Ball is the Gold tarmac climb/descent in the UK.
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)