NS54 AMBER WARNING

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

NS54 AMBER WARNING

Post by AlastairW »

Paul and I have conferred last night, and there is a provisional warning in place for a competition this weekend at MODEL ridge.

We will hopefully move that to green by Thursday.

We need to know who wants to compete?

Please put your names here.

Brian is team captain, so any complaints about selection, collar him! :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

I'm available to make up numbers if required by either NHPC, CSC or DHPC... ("Gun for hire".... water pistol anyway! :oops: )

Would rather see others involved first, but will try to get over to watch. :shock:

Fingers Crossed that it comes good. (I think there's an outside chance that XF may come good but doubt it) :???:
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Ill be there....and Dad on Sunday
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Count me in
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Me & Jan to please
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

yes i will be there though looking at the weather we could be looking at xfell now as it is going westerly for saturday and sunday. it may well change again but if it stays the same we could good have a good one

cheers gary
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

looks like got that wrong with cross fell though it is looking good for model so could be a good weekend ahead for all

cheers gary
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Actually Gary, I was going to agree with you about Cross Fell!

The forecast now has a lot more west in it than at the beginning of the week, and frankly if the forecast is right, then Model will not be an option at the weekend. (We can NOT use Carlton).

The wind strength has also increased, and bearing in mind that this is a comp where people who are only just post CP can compete, I am not going to have people launching in lulls where the wind speed on the hill drops to 18mph!

Paul and I will speak tonight, and post something on the board.

Even if it is not on, we still have a further two weekends in May.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

Ill be there on sunday :D
I HATE COMPUTERS
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

I really don't envy Alastair & Paul with the job of trying to call this... :???:

May be we should change the alerts to low, low medium, medium, high medium & high! :o

Any how the forecast should be a little more accurate by tomorrow (hopefully).

My guess is that the old girl will do us proud and come good (all will depend on what the ridge of high does)! :shock:

It is a two day event isn't it? And if it's lively there is usually the possibility of flying earlier or later in the day if that's acceptable?

I know you guys know all this already and as I say I don't envy your job one bit, but you're doing a great one, keep it up. :)
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

I agree Tony, there is a possibility of cross fell, but at the minute all the forecasts I am looking at show Westerlies throughout the day on Saturday, and fairly strong.

Which limits the flying to the westerly facing bit of High Cap, which to be honest is not big enough for a comp, where potentially there could be twenty or thirty gliders in the air at one time. The first and paramount consideration has to be safety.

As you say, we will hopefully have a better idea tomorrow.
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Just another thought and please tell me to keep my nose out if they're not welcome... :???:

As it is quite likely if we keep this unstable airmass and cold over night temps that conditions in the middle of the day may be strong, and the N54S a entry level comp, would it be an idea to have mini talks / workshops around all things flying? :idea:

Was thinking something along the lines of what happens at CSC club nights (and I'm sure NHPC & other clubs) only much less formal, basically a criac on the hill. :o

That way if the conditions were not suitable in the middle of the day these would fill the time till they were. :shock:

I'd be happy to share my technocrap with anyone willing to listen, all sorts of rubbish really from airspace to track logs on mac computers and analysing thermalling technique on Google Earth. :lol:

I'm sure if we ask some of the Sky Gods might share with us some of their secrets and also others will have bits to share. 8)

As I say just a thought, I know it might be a bit late to arrange but the offer is there. :oops:
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

The Amber warning is now down graded to a 40w yellow lightbulb sort of colour.

Paul and I have spoken, and think that there is less than a 50/50 chance of the comp going ahead this weekend.

Saturday looks to W or WNW for cross fell, and Sunday looks rained off.

So given there are still two weekends left in May, we will probably postpone to the following weekend.

However, forecasts can chamge, and we are still two days away.

We will make a final call tomorrow night.
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Sorry to add to your woe....

I can have Sat off, so that should garentee no flying....just thought I'd warn you.

Sorry! :(
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Get back to work you lazy sod! :D

You are not by any chance of to help Ozone stitch some gliders together???
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

LOL

You've got mail...
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

its tricky as bbc and xc say that teeside will be light nnw all weekend clowd and sunshine also northumberland could be good for moneylaws as well. looks a good weekend but it may be mixed flying to get the best
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I fancy you could get some pretty big build ups not really what you want for a fun type (Or any type) of competition. Low pressure in charge spring time strong sunshine = Arrggghhhhhhh :shock:
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Just videod the news ...weather forcast at the end looking quite canny for west coast :):)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctaszjeaDK0
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

has there been a decision made as it still says planned so does that mean it is on

cheers gary
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

The comp is cancelled for this weekend.

We think that Saturday is possibly flyable, but Sunday is definitely wet and miserable.

We have therefore decided to keep our powder dry, and hopefully next weekend or the weekend after will be better.

We will keep you posted.

Alastair
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

page updated
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley