iphone and Apps

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

iphone and Apps

Post by colin keightley »

Well work offered me £25 towards my phone contract so took the chance to get an iphone still think its an expensive toy and no way would i consider getting rid of my instruments in favour of this.

Anyhow the point of this post is if you know of any good apps then post them here and i'll create a section for them on the links page http://www.nhpc.org.uk/links.php
Last edited by colin keightley on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

GlennP
Regular

Apps

Post by GlennP »

If it's just an expensive toy why did you buy one?

There are loads of apps available Colin. Just look on the apps store.
You are only as good as your last flight........
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Re: Apps

GlennP wrote:If it's just an expensive toy why did you buy one?

There are loads of apps available Colin. Just look on the apps store.
Like i said I got it because work were paying for more than half of it if you must know the main reason I got it is for the web browser and email.

And yes I know there are loads of apps out there I have allready downloaded loads and probably have most of what will be mentioned but the idea is to make the website more usefull and im sure i wont be the last person in the club to buy an iphone so why not make a list.

07824 554735
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

I like expensive toys, but I've not shelled out for this one yet. Hoping my office will do the same soon. Meanwhile, I'm also interested in apps for my PDA. So I come across different things:

http://www.imapmy.com/

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/iphone/ - I use a version of this on my PDA works well.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

cheers brian i run memory maps on my pc so that one could be very handy when they bring it out

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I havnt had chance to use these two properley yet but I have

Motion X http://gps.motionx.com/video/

iVariometer http://ks0ft.com/?page_id=8

i have created a set of links on the links page http://www.nhpc.org.uk/links.php

07824 554735
GlennP
Regular

apps

Post by GlennP »

You've already listed Motion X and Ivariometer.

Motion X allows you to now download maps and specify the kind of activity you are doing to help with tracking on GPS (a friend of mine from down South got suggestions together and Motion X put them on the latest update). This means you can download terrain maps into Motion X for where you are flying (upto 250Mb limit) so the iphone isnt trying to access 3G as you fly and zapping your battery. Roads maps can be cached also.

You can convert the tracklog from GPX to IGC with gpsbabel and send it via email, share via facebook or post to XCLeague and view flights in 3D with Google Earth. Try that on your Garmin 12! You can also store, view and name tracklogs.

Ivario as a vario is still useless as the developer still doesnt seem to understand what the vario is about BUT the user screen with compass rose, speed, alt etc are clear and bright witha goto feature that draws a line from your current location.

Try Ivideocamera for filming straight to Youtube/Vimeo. No downloading or cables needed.

Skylogger is an IGC compatible flight logger with a good readout.

Tracklog is also an IGC logger but also allows live tracking if you go out on your own and want someone to watch over you. Garmin 12 forget it!

Marine Day Tides is great for coastal flying.

Wind Meter is suprisingly accurate on average wind speed compared with the Skywatch windspeed meter.

Speed test to test the internet speed on 3G/Wifi for downloads (especially for Motion X mapsets).
Wunder radio, radio from all over the world.

TV Catchup for live streamed telly on 3G/Wifi.

Flixster......all the movies and times for cinemas near you now that tellytext is dead.

Grid point GB gives your location as an OSGB ref if you need it (useful for mountain rescue etc).

Google Earth.

Free Battery monitor.

Windguru, Xc weather, Met office, NHPC all as buttons on home screen.

Live ATC for all you planespotters around the world.

Flightcom UK, Pilot Wiz, AirNav Free, AeroWeather and Foreflight for all you pilots out there.

Facebook , Ebay etc etc etc.

Hope this helps.
GlennP
Regular

apps

Post by GlennP »

There are also a number of G meters for you geeks that simply must know how many Gs you pulled in that last spiral.

Skype for free international internet calls.

Photoshare, Bump and Ping for sharing files between iPhones.

V cockpit Lite if you think you are a pilot.

The memory map apps will be great when its ready!
GlennP
Regular

apps

Post by GlennP »

Tracklog (or Skylogger cant remember) has just been updated so you can post OLC logs straight to Leonardo/Xc League from the phone as soon as you have landed.

:o
GlennP
Regular

Apps

Post by GlennP »

Sky, you can now get it for FREE (for 3 months then its £6/month) on your iPhone via Wifi.

Thats all the footie, golf on Sky Sports 1,2,3 , Xtra, News, ESPN etc etc
you can watch it at work, at Starbucks, McDonalds, Work.

Yeah its a Tiny screen but with that £54/month you've saved to can look forward to a new wing next year.

If you've got SkyPlus you can also stop and start recording and change channels from your iPhone when out and about. Sure sh*ts the Mrs up when you keep changing to the match in the middle of Casualty.
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

Now for the new toy:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Fancy flying with one of these? :lol:
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Granted the garmin12 isnt great but at least it has a valid G-Record which the iphone does not ok this doesnt make a difference on the leonardo xc league but this is one of very few leagues that do not require a G-record.

Although the iphone will be a great peice of kit to have on your flight deck i wont be getting rid of my indistructable garmin 12 yet

PS i have added windfinder to the list of apps on the links page

07824 554735
GlennP
Regular

apps

Post by GlennP »

No G-Record Colin.....??????

Skylogger has a validated IGC and G-rec recording system for signed validated flights.

From http://www.skywind.eu/SkyLogger/EN/vali ... rogra.html

The IGC-files of SkyLogger contain a digital signature that allow checking of the authenticity of the IGC-files.Therefore, IGC-files cannot be changed undetected.

The digital signature is stored in the so called G-Record of the IGC-file. The algorithm for creating the signature is secret. The algorithm for checking the authenticity of the IGC-file is not published either, although even the knowledge of the algorithm does not allow an undetected change of data.

The published validation programs are using the signature to check the authenticity of IGC-files produced by SkyLogger. The programs for Linux and Windows are command based programs (they have to be started from a console) while the Mac OSX program has a graphical user interface.

In case the IGC-file passed the checking "ok" otherwise "failed" is output.

Validation programs:

download veri-xsl.exe.zip for Linux and Windows
download veri-xsl.zip for Mac OSX (OSX 10.4 or higher required; only Intel processors)

You wont be challenging for any world titles so why is it a problem anyway if Motion X doeasnt have G rec. From 27/02/09 the WorldXcontest allowed GPX converted files to display flights in their league. No positions could be gained but if you are a pro you would not choose the IPhone as your flight recorder anyway.

In an Otterbox the Iphone is indestructable colin. test dropped from 5feet repeatedly onto concrete. Try that with your Garmin 12.

All the best,

Glenn
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

it may end up with a couple of dents and scratches but after a few falls from 5 feet im sure it will be fine, its already been thrown across the living room and into the wall and survived

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

yes i didnt check skylogger my mistake

07824 554735
GlennP
Regular

Moe ppsa

Post by GlennP »

Memory Map is now available as an app on the iPhone. £19.99 gives you the app and OS Topo map credits for the UK.

The CAA maps are available to download from PC or via Wifi aswell.

Met Office now have an app aswell.

Motion X has been updated.

Foreflight is good if you ever intend flying in the USA. Full VFR charts available as is airport info.

Enjoy!
GlennP
Regular

Memory map

Post by GlennP »

According to this thread

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 77&start=0

memorymap have waved s big stick and apple removed QCT Viewer from the app store. This app let you download all old memory map maps to the iPhone.

Memory map now want £20 and QCT was only £5.

The new CAA electronic charts are in a new format qv3 or something. I wouldn't rush out and buy memory map just yet until you can be sure you can run old and new maps on the iPhone.

My main problem is using flight logging and map display at the same same time. Motion X seems to work in the background but skylogger won't and that has full IGC G Rec data for comps.

Top Tip!!!!!!!!

To solve the problems if using an iPhone with gloves on I m told cocktail sausages do the trick!

Just gaffs tape a sausage to your gloves and hey presto you can call Gary Stenhouse and tell him you re flyin with your pinkies still warm in gloves.

Technology is a beautiful thing!
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

it does say on the mm website that the app supports the old V5 maps bit pricey at £20 considering youve allready shelled out for the maps, the windows format mobile app was free

07824 554735
Martyn Wimpenny
Mingling

Iphone Rock

Post by Martyn Wimpenny »

apps at 1.99 can't be bad - the I vairiomter os very good, the wind speed app is excellent - more accurate than some anamoeters.

Regards

Martyn
GlennP
Regular

Apps

Post by GlennP »

The memory map app is £19.99 not £1.99 and by all accounts is crap if you believe the feedback on the apps store.

I wouldn't try using the Ivario as a vario. It works for a few seconds then still gives a +ve climb even when stationary. The motion x and skylogger/tracklog apps are better and you can put your flights onto the xc league/club league.

The windmeter averages heavily and does not read gusts/lulls. It's got it's uses.

I use motion x to view my flights and to log. I can make waypoints of takeoff along with a picture of it( good for landing fields) and see how high/ far/ fast I went. It's certainly better than the crappy garmin I used to use

For Coastal flying try xcweather app and marine day tides.

I think Colin put links on for most apps.
GlennP
Regular

Notams

Post by GlennP »

There is now a NOTAMS app for the Iphone. This could be very useful but until i know more I won't be buying. Price is £3.50 I think.

Hopefully it does exactly what it says on the tin.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Havnt had much luck with skylogger so far keeps giving rediculous altitudes and the trace isn't always accurate I still use it but I use the garmin also so when I download it I have a backup the garmin is always very accurate it just doesn't do altitude, I havnt used motion x in the air yet but have noticed it appears to be more reliable than skylogger, on the ground anyhow, still early days yet and I'm sure these will improve.

Glenn are you flying the LCC this year if so how do you plan on using your iPhone as Gps considering you need to mail your flight logs from the phone

07824 554735
GlennP
Regular

Skylogger

Post by GlennP »

Hi colin!

I tried to use the skylogger in Spain. Was having none of it. If you don't update position as you go it takes ages to aquire a fix. Motion x did this at first but if you log in to any free wifi at your location it prompts motion X to look for the best set of satellites to give a fix.

The altitude accuracy can be off as you have found. With Motion X you can see how good the satellite fix is. The most accurate it can be is to 15m. I m not sure how many channels the receiver has and I doubt it has WAAS to improve position accuracy.

I might do the LCC but would want to improve my flying before entering this year. I would use my Garmin as it's easy to load waypoints etc back with Calvo.
The Garmin does not have full topo moving map and easy waypoints entry.

I like being able to post flight logs straight to email or Facebook (check my news feed ).

I m gonna check my alt log against the log on my vario to see how out it is.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I have been watching your escapades on facebook for the last fortnight congrats by the way.

07824 554735
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Got the mm app and it works really well, all my maps just drop straight in, land and air. :)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
GlennP
Regular

memory map

Post by GlennP »

hiya Brian,

Is memory map just a viewer or does it do full moving map with waypoints and groundspeed/heading/alt etc?

V1.0 only got 1 star from most reviewers which is pretty crap for a £20 app. V1.2 is getting 5 stars but reading the reviews they are almost like " wow I can see maps on my phone. Cool!" Which isnt exactly the kind of recommendation I would listen to.

So being a trusted pillar of society I would like to hear your thoughts on what it actually does and doesnt do.

Currently with Motion X I can tap the map for waypoint entry see groundspeed, track, ETA, Alt etc and my track on the topo maps I got via wifi/3G.

If MemoryMap can do all that plus display the CAA maps then I'd buy it.

I viewed my track from Mont Cab on Google Earth and it's very accurate interms of its track. Havent checked Altitude accuracy though which I know can be a bit daft at times. On approach to land I caught a thermal and had to S turn off the extra height just infront of 2 big trees. It's there on the Satellite view exactly as I remember. And I took some photos with the phone and call Nick for a lift back up.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

you can get mm free to try but you cant use the v5 maps on it glenn, it has no where near the same quality user interface as motionx

07824 554735
GlennP
Regular

memmap

Post by GlennP »

cheers for the info colin. Not been on the apps store for a while, only updated apps so not seen the freebie.

I've just loaded up Motion X to see exactly how daft the alt readout was and everything has changed. A big blue button now gives waypoint entry on the and the menus have been restructured. It's a bit weird.

But it now has glide related functions onthe track recorder page. Personally I would not use them though.
Attachments
motion1a.JPG
motion1a.JPG (39.29 KiB) Viewed 28014 times
GlennP
Regular

iphone gps compass

Post by GlennP »

new compass page
Attachments
mot2a.JPG
mot2a.JPG (33.72 KiB) Viewed 28012 times