iphone and Apps

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

GlennP
Regular

moving map and track

Post by GlennP »

The moving map is great if you have quick wifi to download the maps with. I've got the lakes, dales, N Yorks, East coast and the NE Sink Hole (cheviots) loaded as well as Algo and Alicante areas. The maps are free topo maps.

Needed more zoom levels to 16/16 but did not have the time or space to do it for Spain.

Would like to see Speed, Alt, Compass pointer and possibly ETA on the map page.
Attachments
mot3a.JPG
mot3a.JPG (39.39 KiB) Viewed 26599 times
You are only as good as your last flight........
GlennP
Regular

thats what this looks like in real life

Post by GlennP »

thats what this flight looks like. The take off and landing areas are PRIVATE. Club members only

Not for internet trawlers to see and just rock up and upset the locals/farmers. Don't lose it for the guys in Alicante.

PHOTO CREDIT: NICK at Doyouwanna.net
Attachments
montcab.jpg
montcab.jpg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 26595 times
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Hi Glen, yes the memory map does have moving map, snail trail and the ability to load way points, although I haven't tried that yet. I was just really content to have a good topo map for my long walk outs. :)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I was trying out the new look yesterday I think it was updated Tuesday I actually prefer the new layout was hoping they would have added IGC though
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Doesn't seem to be an update for MM on my phone, where did you get it from Colin?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

it was a motion x update not MM

07824 554735
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

http://www.freethinker.com/iphone/livet ... index.html

Now has airspace via OpenAir

Clients for other phones don't know if they have airspace.

Get those battery packs ready!
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
bdoub
Mingling

igot the iphone

Post by bdoub »

Well, I got one.

Now I have loads of questions for any of you who have been using one for a while.

1. I downloaded MotionX. Looks good. Now I'm downloading loads of the topo maps to use with it. Takes forever. Any advice on using it would be appreciated. Can we get a valid IGC file from it? From this thread, it looked like we can only get a IGC file from skylogger. Which I've not downloaded yet. Is this correct?

2. I have the PC version and mobile PC version of Memory Map which I think is too expensive to go and buy the iPhone version (£12.99?) plus additional maps. Especially when you can't get a valid IGC file MM. What do you advise?

3. Lastly, battery life sucks on iphones. There is a good video on Youtube about how to extend the battery life - basicly go to settings and shut off everything you don't need (bluetooth, GPRS, wifi, and more). I researched loads of different hard cases with rechargeable batteries for the iPhone. Most of them are very expensive.

Here's a few if you're interested:

EnerG Slim-Fit Extended Rechargeable Battery Case for APPLE IPHONE 3G and 3GS
http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Fit-Extended ... pd_sim_e_1

Back-Up Rechargeable POWER Boost for iPod, iPhone 3G / 3GS, ALL BlackBerry's, Kindle 2 & Kindle DX - Refuel 3 Ways AC, USB and SOLAR
http://www.amazon.com/Back-Up-Rechargea ... d_sim_MI_1

New Trent IMP130 Slim-Fit Extended Rechargeable Battery Juice Case Air for IPHONE 3G and 3Gs
http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Slim-Fi ... =pd_cp_e_1

http://portablepowersupplies.co.uk/usbl ... lAodDD8y-A
£30

Case-Mate iPhone 3G Fuel Rechargeable Battery Pack

Powerskin.co.uk £50

http://www.safpwr.com/iPhone-Battery-X-type
$69

I'm trying to decide between the casemate for about £40 and the protapow for £30 (can use it to recharge other USB devices), but then I'd need to buy a protective case (like otterbox) in addition to that.

My main question in this post is, what do you use to extend the battery life of your iphone?

So, any additional comments on this thread would be helpful.
GlennP
Regular

iPhone batterys are crap

Post by GlennP »

The battery life isn't great that's true. I guess it's to do with the amount of programs and types of connection running simultaneously.

Switching off 3g and roaming plus wifi and Bluetooth go a long way to extending battery life as does closing down any open accounts ie email , forums , facebook etc that will try to use Internet access for regular updates. Try to power the iPhone off the cars 12v cig lighter when in the car helps also.

Motion x topo maps can take a while even via wifi. But hey at least they are free! If you want more detail it will take longer and use more memory. Set your motion x to glide via the menu and it becomes very accurate but altitude is still way , way off reality and they should really get that sorted. All it needs is a means of calibrating or zeroing not just Reading out that I was at 700ft amsl when I m on a dune at blackhall about to take off.

Ask brian day about memory map. He has it installed. Skylogger takes ages to get a fix but does do igc. To convert your motion x track email it to yourself via the share function then drop that file into gpsbabel to convert to igc. The more people that contact the makers of motion x to add igc and more accurate altitude info the more likely they are to do it.

See the links page for some more apps.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Put my suggestions in with Motion X last night and was surprised how quick I got a reply
Motion X wrote:Hello Colin,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll let the MotionX team know that you're interested in exporting in IGC format, and airmaps as well.  We love hearing suggestions so we can continue to improve MotionX-GPS, so let me know if you have any further thoughts.

In the meantime, you can try a converter such as GPSBabel to convert our gpx output to igc.  It seems converted files can't be used for competition scoring or other official claims, though.

Best regards,
Juniper Nichols

Fullpower Technologies, Inc., makers of MotionX
juniper.nichols@fullpower.com

07824 554735
GlennP
Regular

Battery power

Post by GlennP »

Colin Chapman recommended an additional battery pack that plugs in to the iPhone via an iPhone lead and extends the phones useable life to 12 hours. They are eBay for £24.99 but I ve also found these with 4AA batteries from £8 upwards.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... -and-ipod/

do a google search for the griffin tune juice 2.

I wrote to fullpower about igc on the iPhone aswell it would be great if they could do it.
GlennP
Regular

More power to ya

Post by GlennP »

Or try find this one

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... wer-packs/

seems like you could potentially do a 160km XC and still have power to call for a retrieve.
GlennP
Regular

USB power supplies

Post by GlennP »

GlennP
Regular

SAT NAV for £6

Post by GlennP »

N Drive UK and Ireland full moving map sat nav for the car or bike for only £5.99. Cheap at twice the price!
bdoub
Mingling

trying out different apps

Post by bdoub »

Hi,

I'm trying out different apps. I've got:

Motionx - which I like so far.
iMapMyFitness - eh, ok.

and just downloaded the free version of Memory Map.

But I've found a new one that looks good and can export an IGC file called livetrack24lite:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/livetrac ... 21792?mt=8

I haven't downloaded it yet and there are no reviews. There is a PDF manual for it at:
http://www.freethinker.com/iphone/livet ... manual.pdf

which I haven't read yet.

Any thoughts?

Brian
PS- Glenn, how did you get screen shots off your iPhone?
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

press the button on the front and on the top at the same time it saves a screen shot in your picture folder.

07824 554735
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Just had an email from Steve Jobs (well, ok, a peice of junk mail from Apple) saying the new iphone is out this month, but more importantly there is a significant upgrade for the OS on existing phones.
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

O.K. I may be the saddest geek here. After spending over 4 hours waiting in phones4u the other day I was one of the lucky ones who got there paws on an iphone 4. First iphone i have had and after a few days playing I am sadly addicted and the laptop has sulked off into the corner.

Downloaded the new imove app for it and although is basic allows you to play with clips and photo's for a quick movie. Here's my first attempt, following my wee daughter on a wonder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv1NDTl3wh4

It is saved on 720dp HD on the iphone but compresses it automatically when you post to youtube so quality is not great. You can e.mail them at full res if you wish.
GlennP
Regular

You re holding it wrong

Post by GlennP »

And if you hold it the wrong way it can't make calls......

;)
gordie
Regular

Re: You re holding it wrong

Post by gordie »

GlennP wrote:And if you hold it the wrong way it can't make calls......

;)
So I have heard but mine works fine at any angle, unlike my old mobile I have not missed any calls yet. Suspect it is a rummer made up by jelous iphone 3 owners :P
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Lovely Gordie, for ever.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Krgay

Apps.

Post by Krgay »

IA must for all xc pilots is Richard HUnts Tracker. Its easy to set up and can send texts to retrieves at set intervals, it can also be set to send a mssage if you have stopped and not moved and stopped nd not checked in.

free and well worth a look I believe this year it will also link to live track 24,
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Can't find it Kevin, giz a clue!
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Lloyd
Chatty

Post by Lloyd »