why not to wingover to close to the ground

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

why not to wingover to close to the ground

Post by gary stenhouse »

http://www.youtube.com/user/pgcrash

good job it was sand although it still looks he might of got injured
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

good job it was sand although it still looks he might of got injured
He bounced !!!! That must have hurt.

So me being of little knowledge with these things why did it do what it did? There seemed enough energy in the sail yet the tip collapsed big style. Was it because of the high aspect of the wing?
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well after been in the same situation last year, then i would say he has put too much break input without changing his weaght shift. as you can see the wings recovery was instant. and if he had a couple of hundred feet he would of getting a small spiral and that would be that. once you loose pressure in you harness you no your f---ed. a reason why i did not do any for a long time after i nearly done myself in. the energy in a wing over when you do a big one is massive and is equal to a spiral but a lot more dificult. flying the wing i fly now its about how far and high and the acro stuff can weight for another day although i am sure i will do the odd sat? expecialy after my siv. the wing in the vid is either a sport 3 or a mustang
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

What did he do wrong?
Simple.... not enough outside break....

When doing wingovers you have to keep a lot of pressure in the outside tip... otherwise it will collapse.

In fact once you get a lot of energy into the wing, the wingover is controlled almost exclusively by weight shift. There is still some break input, but you will be amazed at just how much break you need on outside

You will do loads of them on the SIV

AND you will do exactly what he did..... I guarantee it!

But they are the fundamental demonstration of how coordinated you are with the wing....