Brazil update... Number 3...

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

Brazil update... Number 3...

Post by AlastairW »

At last some decent weather!

The last two days have been fun.

32k flown yesterday, 40k flown today... and more importantly flown further than everyone else on the course, including the instructors.....

Stonking climb of take off.... I climbed 0ver 800m in 9 360s. Riding the bucking bronco.... at one point my wing was below me, still flying, but a bit scary.....

Upto base, about 6000ft aty that point, and then set of down the road south.

There are guaranteed "house thermals"... provided you are in phase of course..... The bend in the road, first quarry, Nova town, Apercarta and so on.

The course has been a huge learning curve. Basically no dynamic lift... its all flatland flying, so you have to find the next thermal sourse.... clouds are a good indicator of course.... but are they decaying? Jocky reckons on sussing the conditions two thermals ahead of where he is.... frankly that is information overload for me....!

Look for the birds (Arubas.... a kind of ugly vulture type thing) other pilots are best..... let a wind dummy go off in a glide in front of you and find the lift for you....

What if they are above you?? Ignore them.... that lift has probably gone.... from 4000ft to base, surf the clouds..... below that start looking for triggers and sources on the ground.....

And if all else fails go on a death glide..... pushing out in the hope that you will find something before coming back to earth...... Unfortunatley when I arrived at Enginero today it was out of phase.... nothing working, so I ended up on the ground, packing up with the help of the local kids.... 15 minutes later dust is rising over the town from the thermal that has just released..... Bugger!!!

Blagged a lift back from a local, 20 Reals for a 50 minute ride back into town... (about £5). Shower, open a cold beer from the fridge, and think about what we can do tomorrow.........

Oh... and of course its friday night, so we are going clubbing in GV. Nothing like interfacing with the locals......