i know weve kicked off but whats the rules

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

myerscouse
Chatty

i know weve kicked off but whats the rules

Post by myerscouse »

Hi all iam some what confused about our clubs xc league. What scores what and all of that . Are we using the same rules as the BHPA or do we have our own ? and if so were are they written, indead are they written if not why not .I think it would be a good idea if we had them on the web site so everybody knows were they stand as i think the club xc league is going to be a big hit this year . The info below is the bhpa s defination of flight etc & should be of some help .
Paul
Flight Types
Only a pilot's 6 best flights will count. The permissible types of flight are as follows:

Open Distance (score: distance)
Open Distance flights do not have any turnpoints. Open distance flights will score the straight-line distance from the start point to the end point. The minimum flight distance is 10km.

Turnpoint Flights (score: distance)
Turnpoint Flights are open distance flights with up to 3 turnpoints. This means that you can use flight optimization software to compute your best distance. Our 3 turnpoint rule, which includes separate start and finish points, is in line with the DHV's popular Online Contest (OLC). The minimum flight distance is 15km.

Flights to Goal (score: distance x 1.25)
Flights to goal will also be scored in a straight line. The start point and goal must be declared by the pilot prior to launching. Completed goal flights score the straight-line distance multiplied by 1.25 when the majority of the flight is out of ridge lift. The minimum flight distance is 10km.

Out and Return (score: distance x 2, or distance x 2.5 when declared)
Out and Return flights commence at a start point, go round a single turnpoint, and return to the original start point. The coordinates of the start point and finish point are therefore identical. The start/finish point may be different to the actual launch/landing points but the flight distance is only measured from the start, to the turnpoint and back.

Completed Out and Return flights score the distance multiplied by 2 when the majority of the flight is out of ridge lift, or the distance multiplied by 2.5 when the flight has been declared beforehand. The minimum flight distance is 15 km.

FAI Triangle (score: distance x 3, or distance x 3.75 when declared)
An FAI Triangle is one which satisfies the FAI's 28% Rule (shortest side must be greater than, or equal to, 28% of the distance flown). To fly a triangle you must round three turnpoints, and return to the original start point. The coordinates of the start point and goal are therefore identical and for declared triangles and local records, must be one of the turnpoints. The start/goal point may be different to the actual launch/landing points.

Completed FAI Triangle flights score the distance multiplied by 3 when the majority of the flight is out of ridge lift, or the distance multiplied by 3.75 when the flight has been declared beforehand. The minimum flight distance is 15km.

Note that for non-declared triangles, using GPS verification, you can fly a loop and you will be scored the best triangle which can be fitted inside it. Your track log points must cross to complete the loop. This means you don’t have to start and finish at a turnpoint but may start midway along a leg. However for declared triangles and local records the FAI rules still apply, and your start and finish must be at one of the three turnpoints.

Flat Triangle (score: distance x 2, or distance x 2.5 when declared)
A Flat Triangle is a triangular flight as above, except that it does not conform to the FAI 28% rule. Completed Flat Triangle flights score the distance multiplied by 2 when the majority of the flight is out of ridge lift, or the distance multiplied by 2.5 when the flight has been declared beforehand. The minimum flight distance is 15km.

Note that for non-declared triangles, using GPS verification, you can fly a loop and you will be scored the best triangle which can be fitted inside it. Your track log points must cross to complete the loop. This means you don’t have to start and finish at a turnpoint but may start midway along a leg. However for declared triangles and local records the FAI rules still apply, and your start and finish must be at one of the three turnpoints.

Competition Tasks (score: distance x 1.25)
Competition Tasks fly around a number of turnpoints and on to a goal declared before take-off. They score the total distance from the start point around the turnpoints to goal, multiplied by 1.25. The minimum flight distance is 15km.

Note: Flights flown during a competition will not be entered into the XC League for you. If you made goal then you can select the Competition Task option from the list of Declared flights. All turnpoint information is pre-entered. If you failed to make goal then you can enter your flight as a Turnpoint Flight, having optimized it to get the best possible score.

Multiple Flights
There is no need to land between submitted flights provided that complete evidence is provided for each one. For example, you could complete a triangle then fly open distance, or fly round the triangle twice without having to land in between. Note, however, you can only declare one task per flight.

http://www.pgcomps.org.uk/
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

from what i gther from last winter season we were allowed 5k out return ridge runs also a 5k min winter distance. as for all the rest i am not quite sure how we are scoring as now there is the software it will make those judging a whole lot easier. the see you soft ware is the best way of finding someones best or open dis fai triangle 3 turn point flat triangle. so once we no the rules then i would say this does give 100% accurate scores.
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Hi Paul - Do I see another competitive beast arising from the house of Donaldson!?

The Winter Rules as they stand until the end of March
Open Distance - Hanggliding 6km PG 4km min (best flight of the day)

Out & Return - Hanggliding 6km PG 4km min (best flight of the day)

Triangles - Hanggliding 5km PG 3km min (best flight of the day)

O/D (single score) - O&R (double score) - Tri (treble score)

Flights in or out of ridge lift dosen't matter at the moment, its the same for everyone. Getting members to having a try is the most important thing.

GPS is without doubt much better but I'm happy to accept digital pic with date.

Ronny has yet to declare the summer rules but I hope the multipliers have to be 'earn't' properly. Now you can count 15km via 3 turnpoints or 10 km open distance I think it would be good just to use the national rules?
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

I think it would save a lot of confusion if the BHPA rules are stuck too as Paul pointed out, they are well proven and ------------ well yes, as I said well proven and save confusion, and its no good flying when you are confused. In fact a confused pilot is liable to have an accident, --- by the way who is safety officer now? anyway those scabby little ridge runs that are put in are not proper cross country's man, even John Miller is putting his little ridge runs in now, --- and his glides to the bottom landing field, he must be very confused, poor John :eeeh: unworthy flights = 0 respect and confusion,
Come on get real and stick to the BHPA rules.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

by the way who is safety officer now? anyway those scabby little ridge runs that are put in are not proper cross country's man, even John Miller is putting his little ridge runs in now, --- and his glides to the bottom landing field, he must be very confused, poor John unworthy flights = 0 respect and confusion,
Come on get real and stick to the BHPA rules.
Personally I don't give toss, but these scabby ridge runs is what the BHPA are accepting and not only that, have rejected one of Garys scabby runs for an out and return, but kept Steve Etheringtons very very similar scabby out n return.

Personaly I thought Garys scaby run was one of the best flights this club has seen this year. He did declare it the morning before.!!!! Credit due there John.

From what I see the whole National League thing is utter bollox, once you have a human deciding that this flight counts and the other does not, you are now talking bull shite politics. Because of that the National League is nothing more than a Come Dancing Contest.

8.7 - 6.7 - 8.5 - 3.5 - 4.5 - 10

(10 given by the french judge as a case of wine and a blow job was delivered)

Smell the coffee, what would be good was if the NHPC won this badge and gave it back to them.

Fly to please yourself.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Misk
Regular

Defined flights

Post by Misk »

[quote]Personally I don't give toss........ one of the best flights this club has seen this year. He did declare it the morning before.!!!![/quote]

For someone who doesn't give a toss you spend alot of time running down XC and competitions!

Just in case anyone does want to get into definded flights this year lets be clear that Gary did not achieve the flight he declaired - got nowhere near it in fact. A good call for the site and conditions though.

To have achieved the defined flight he would have had to enter the FAI sector at each of the points or to define the sector he wished to use eg. a cylinder 400m radius centred on those points. For full explination read the rules!

As for the merits of one flight over another - Gary's was rightly reduced as being a ridge run; I have no doubt that other pilots making the same type of flights will be treated the same. The guys who run the tables have done it for a while and know what they are doing, they are moderated by the BHPA membership so write to them if you have a problem. I believe the chap in charge has been out in Oz and may take a little time to catch up with any enquiries you have.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

rightly so reduced
The only people who can judge this are the people who were in the air at that time, as they and only they know how much of the lift was therm or not.

Just like I say, politics, for go Bollox.

I cant recall running down "XC's", competitions however I find comical and very worthy of ridicule and lampoon.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

******Removed!********
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

Fingers wrote:
rightly so reduced
The only people who can judge this are the people who were in the air at that time, as they and only they know how much of the lift was therm or not.

Just like I say, politics, for go Bollox.

I cant recall running down "XC's", competitions however I find comical and very worthy of ridicule and lampoon.
Like you Steve I'm not really that competetively miinded (If I've had a good flight I just like bragging about it in the pub afterwards) but a lot of people in this club are. If you have a competition you have to have rules. As long as we stick to the rules everyone is on a level playing field. Gary had a nice flight but didn't quit meet the criteria for a triangle. When I flew in the hang gliding league (yes, I did fly in it once!!!) I was similarly scored down through not getting into the sector according to the GPS. I knew I was over the turnpoint as I was looking straight down on it (a bridge), the GPS coords were wrong, but so be it, I flew to the feature not to the coords on the GPS so didn't fulfill the competition criteria.

You may say because of different weather conditions we are not on a level playing field but the XC game is all about being in the right place at the right time. Nick Pain didn't break the British XC record through luck, he'd studied the weather and had the knowledge to be in the rigth place at the right time.

You may as well say the whole football league is invalid because you don't like the offside rule (okay that's a whole other argument)....
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

Bloody hell!!! i only asked whats the rules :gu:
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Fingers Wrote
Personaly I thought Garys scaby run was one of the best flights this club has seen this year. He did declare it the morning before.!!!! Credit due there John.
Steve, you said that as if I was singulating Gary's flying ---- not at all, I am not picking on Gary, quite the opposite I think he is doing really well and is super keen. Its just my feeling that it should be kept simple, and the best way to do that is stick to the BHPA rules, then you avoid any confusion. When people start putting 1km flights in XC comps it just becomes rediculous, next thing they will be wanting points for taking off!! :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Hey John a 1Km flight on one of these duvets is something to celebrate. In fact if you can get points for getting one off the ground I don't mind having those either.

Steve........Competition is fantastic it brings out the best (and worst) in people. It's like a game of chess, there's nothing like beating the best move your opponent has to offer. It's not about badges and cups as you seem to make out, but beating your pals for the bragging rights in the pub.

Viva La competition
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”