Greetings from Brazil!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

Greetings from Brazil!

Post by AlastairW »

Bon Dias Mes Ami!

Greetings from sunny Valadares.

It is now Tuesday morning, and I have a few minutes after breakfast whilst waiting for the truck, to fill you in on what has happened so far.

First of my thanks to BA, and there wonderful flight to Rio…. Which I enjoyed, but my glider didnt, as they had left it on the tarmac in Heathrow. An absolutely wonderful way to raise stress levels at the start of a holiday! At least I was told on the plane, rather than going through the nightmare of watching the carousel go round and round and round - but no bag appearing….. also gave me a chance to drown my sorrows in the free booze!

After 36 hours travelling we eventually arrived in Valadares. A bloody good reason why the trip is two weeks! Valadares itself is a big town, kind of run down 70s architecture in the middle, but with this great peak on its doorstep, the Pic de Ibituruna, a 3500ft high volcanic core, which dominates all the local features. Everywhere else is rolling hills…. Imagine lots and lots of East hills lined up in the distance! But at least here the weather is good enough to generate lots and lots and lots of thermals. No dynamic flying at all, no ridge lift, just wait for the thermal cycle to come through and take of, then climb to base. Its just a question of getting the cycle timing right…. Bill Scott has always said the weather god is a woman, and here is proof positive - she even has periods!

I managed to borrow a wing to fly on Sunday, which was an orientation flight. Base was low, only 500ft ato, but still managed an 8k flop over the back. Yesterday we had the tail of a warm front come through. Lots of rain out in the distance, so we waited for a couple of hours, then flew down into the landing field on the edge of town.

Today looks good…