Help me!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Watson
Regular

Help me!

Post by John Watson »

All this talk about XC flying is making me look forward to a good XC, however I have a major problem that someone may be able to solve.
I want to fly with my GPS, but I have tried the chest strap mount method on my Profeel XC and there just isn’t much room, the mount I had was crap (GIN) and just flopped down with the weight, I don’t really want the extra luggage of one of them handbag things, and I want to see the instrument right in front of me when I am Thermalling without having to look down at instruments, any suggestions please?
:blank:
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

John

a lot of the instrument mounting thing is down to where on the harness you put it. It is difficult to test things just by hanging in your harness as it won't be loaded in the same way as if in flight, I also remember Supair harnesses being a bit of a fanny to attach things to.
Best thing to do is to go out on a ridge lift day and try different methods, take along a few bits of velcro just in case.

Gis a call if ya want.

Ali

Ps the set that has worked best for me has been a cockpit hung between the hang points.
paolo
Mingling

re help me

Post by paolo »

Hi John:
Try to put your crap mount as near as you can to the carabiners (left or right) in that way you reduce the tendence to twist the tape, that is more likely to happen in the middle of the chest strap, I also used to sew some velcro in the chest strap were the mount of the instruments goes in that way stays firmly in place.
But if the GPS is a BIG one...you might struggle to do this, and you should consider using the handbag thing, i can lend you mine to try it if you want.
I use to home build my mount to full fill my necessities, and it's also good fun.
Paolo
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

The fanny pack/pad is the way to go John, see here.

http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/album_comme ... ic_id=1054

I have my Vario, GPS and now Camera all there easy to see and without resting on my legs. The Gin Bag is what you want John, it feel real nice against your skin.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

john come to my garage one night and you can set it up in the garage that way we can make the best job possible
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Thanks very Much Guys, I think I'll try Gary first as he lives quite near me, I'll take my ear plugs, and the Janet and John Book 1
:gu: