tommorows flying might just be on at semmer water

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

tommorows flying might just be on at semmer water

Post by gary stenhouse »

looking at the forcast it looks like later on tommorow the wind is going to be light se with full sunshine. so ask yourself is it worth getting out for a drive and a coffee if all else fails?

anyone up for it let me no tonitr or in the morning
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Gary looking at the synoptics I would guess by the time the weather breaks (If it does at all) it should come round to the West or SW.

Just read the Fells forecast (See below) which is a pretty good judge of conditions and they are giving Light upto 15 SW. Might even be worth a late start out to CrossFell or even Miller's leap.

=========================================

Fells Forecast

Weather
Overcast with extensive hill fog and outbreaks of rain, some heavy in the morning, this along with thawing snow could lead to some flooding during the day. The main rain area clearing north around mid-morning leaving a legacy of cloud with a few light showers to follow.
Visibility/cloud base
Fog to very low levels tomorrow morning gradually lifting and may even break for a time late morning, but then the cloud thickening again with hill fog down to around 300 metres. Especially around any afternoon showers.
Wind/temperature/freezing level
THE 15 MPH SOUTHEASTERLY WIND FALLING VERY LIGHT BEFORE VEERING TO THE WEST TO SOUTHWEST THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND PICKING UP TO 15 MPH BY THE END OF THE DAY. THE FREEZING LEVEL WILL BE WELL ABOVE THE SUMMITS BY, AND THROUGH TOMORROW, WITH THE TEMPERATURE AT 900 METRES AROUND 2 CELSIUS. THE WIND CHILL WILL BE INSIGNIFICANT THROUGH THE BULK OF THE DAY.00m: ==========================================

Straws/clutching at/ springs to mind here. Another large glass of red bar tender it will be PM before I commit aviation and even then will the cloud be real in in my head :blank:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

A bottle of Arniston Bay for me......

I had written tomorrow off completley, but it does look just possible that there might be a chance of a glimmer of a fly tomorrow...... but not till later in the day.

Sw/W??#

Millers leap at 2pm

onto Melmerby low scar.......

Into the bowl........

Sorry - I have to go, I am starting to drool over the keyboard....
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

OK

Lookin at the charts

There is a BLACK line that is to cross us..

Whats that all about..?????????????????

Is still dont look like flying to me...
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

well looks like the wind is turning already and i think cross fell is worth a look by 1 ocklock i have to be back in good time so going to leave my house at 10.30-11 so if you are coming give me a buzz at home 01670354266

or i will be gone
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

Fingers wrote:OK

Lookin at the charts

There is a BLACK line that is to cross us..

Whats that all about..?????????????????

Is still dont look like flying to me...
Ahhemmm Pilot lecture No 2...I think you will find that is a 'trough' :home: :home: :home: :home: :home: :home:
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

And the usual piggies are of to get there snowts in it . See what i did there ?:home:
Misk2
Mingling

Post by Misk2 »

so how was it????
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

awsome to say the least, first time i have flown cross fell properly and ended up with a nice out and return. very interesting towards the end as it took 3 big ears 3 spirals with up 17ms and still couldnt get down.5 of us on cross fell all doing realy well and enjoying a good fly arround. i just hope that the conditions can continue another 2 hours flying today.

cheers gary
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Got to say Gary and Chris Forster in particular did so well today. I arrived late to say the least and the gliders were all out half way up the hill. The wind was there but not too bad so i decided to do my ground handling for a bit and got a good sweat on.

The the guys started to take off and they were scratching to get up so the wind had dropped. Walked up High Cap in my winter microlight suit that has a bear skin inside it I must have lost a stone. They were all up and quite high by the time I'd made it to a take off with a bit of wind.

Had my first real scratching flight and made it up which I was well pleased with in fact I may have had an orgasm. I was that pleased either that or it was just the damp off the grass.

Anyway the real para pilots were having a hell of a good time. Fingers and Mad Dog off to the south of Wild Boar Scar But Gary and Chris flew down to Miller's leap and made it back. All this on a day where I'd read the forecast seen what was supposed to happen........Then doubted it.

Thanks for the phone call Gary I was just about to turn back

Really really good day......well pleased :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
John Wallis
Seasoned

For Fingers

Post by John Wallis »

TROUGH
An elongated area of low atmospheric pressure that is associated with an area of minimum cyclonic circulation. The opposite of a ridge.
I knew it represented a trough but I couldn't remember the make up of one so here it is just for you.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Cast your minds back to this!
Cheers
http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/viewtopic.p ... ght=trough
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

This is the really good thing about forums where all the data is kept. We are building up a library on knowlage.... Yes there is the general bouts of noncence, argument and oylimpic dummy tossing. But on the whole there is a welth of wisdom...

It is still all there, and its only a search away http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/search.php

I remember your weather stuff last year Mike.... It would be great if you could put a little talk together for us weather minos. One thing that the pilot paper came across was the matter of factness of the weather.... If this is that and that is this then the weather should be that.!!!!!

I would like to be able to do this but need it put in laymans terms....

Please consider doing a talk Mike..
Everything in moderation, including moderation.