Defined

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Sad Northerner
Regular

Defined

Post by Sad Northerner »

Hi folks

There seems to be quiet a lot of interest in defined flights, especially triangles, at the moment and quite a few differing ideas about how they should be done. Well, not wanting to left out, here’s my bit I hope it is of some value.

Personally I think the most important attribute a pilot needs to be able to complete a triangle is an open mind. By all means study a map of the area you intend to fly, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty focus on the 'actual' conditions; after all you can not plan the thermals.
In general discussion with pilots I try to make a point of emphasizing the need to reassess at every stage of a flight; triangles are no exception to this. If you approach any XC flight, defined or not, with a rigid plan, perhaps defined by land features, you are more likely to land than succeed.
The process of XC flying can be broken down into several decision making steps; 1. when to stay, 2 when to move, 3. where to move to. Unfortunately we are not living in the Alps, where thermals and wind speeds are not more predictable, so, for us, this decision making process is based much more on what we can see and feel at the time. During my flying career (god that sounds gay) I have witnessed pilots racing off on a triangle route only to land short. The reason? their decision making had been made on the ground which subsequently made the flying part simply a practical matter of executing what they had already decided.
I have also witnessed pilots complete reasonable triangles, but because they were so entrenched in their plan, and the ground features defining it, they failed to observe an area of lift which could have extend their flight, taking it from the status of reasonable to fantastic. (Might be worthwhile noting here that one should not worry about flying too far on a leg of a triangle because of the 28% rule. Triangles submitted via GPS work on virtual turnpoints, therefore any point inside your trace can be submitted……maybe better to discuss this at club meet sometime).
For want of a better analogy, a comparison can be drawn between good XC pilots and opportunist thieves. They both have an understanding of what works and what does not, for one it is hills, areas of possible convergence and other sources of lift, for the other it is car parks and old ladies washing lines etc. They both quietly and patiently observe these areas from an area of safety, e.g. ridge lift or shadows respectfully. Then, when any opportunity presents itself they pounce.

Ali
PS the comparison between thief and pilot is stronger in some of us than others, I left the club meet last night having not paid the chairman for my meal….oh shit, I can hear someone knocking on the door!
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

I wasnt expecting payment Ali!