Flying Camera?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

Flying Camera?

Post by AlastairW »

I was just wondering if anyone had a preference for a camera to use when flying?

I have used a Sony dsc3, which is now six years old, and desperatley in need of a new battery..... by the time I have forked out on that, it almost makes sense to buy a new camera....

So what features do you want as a pilot?

I took a quick trip round PC world at lunchtime, and must have got some strange looks, as one of my requiremnets is to be able to operate with a gloved hand.....

Small in size as well

Ideally no projecting lens.....

Easy to switch on and off

My conclusion was another Sony - the DSC T9. Very slim, switches on by sliding the front of the camera down, and the lens is built in to the body of the camera, and operates through a periscops type mechanism, hence no projecting lens.

Has anyone used one of these, or has any other thoughts?
paolo
Mingling

about your camera

Post by paolo »

My only advice, Alistair is to buy SONY, also, in cheapest models as de DCS S40, the performance are amazing, this cameras use Carl Zeiss lens, and are the best , I think you've done a good choice.
Paolo
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Personally I know little about cameras, but an old friend of the family is a keen photographer. He's the guy the pro's and mags ask for advice, he grinds his own mirrors for telescopes for christ's sake!! On learning the enormity of getting this task done to perfection I could not believe it, quite amaizing.

Anyhow..... I asked him recently about a £200 camera and he said the casio exilim range are very good http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Digital ... im%20Card/

On lookin at reviews on the net this would also be echoed.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I've got the casio exilim 8 .1 meg, the only complaint I have is from the Fingery bloke who apparently has bad eye site and can't see my pics on the forum. I haven't got the time at the moment to mess about with thumbnail sizes, but for people with a work schedule like Fingers and Sten it really should produce some fine results, it certainly does on my computer.
They are actually made by sony but packaged much cheaper, with more readily available memory cards. You're welcome to have a go with mine if you like Alistair.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Yes aparently they do take BIG photos!

The delay from button press to shutter operation is supposed to be good on them. Is that so Bri? not sure if I am using the right words so I hope you get my drift.
dave-mclaughlin
Chatty

Post by dave-mclaughlin »

I've been toying with getting one of these:-

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/i ... c2000.html

Saw one on channel 5's Gadget Show before Christmas. It looks fairly robust - the presenter turned it on, threw it out of a 2nd floor window into a fishpond below, and had it brought back upstairs to the studio. Memory card was taken out, plugged into the PC, and the resulting video played back!

Should be robust enough to survive the odd crash landing!! Comes complete with rubber bands, suction cups, etc. so that it can be helmet mounted.
Dave McLaughlin
Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Dave the money seems very right, the quality I would need to see. I would guess that it might be slightly disappointing.

Martin got some excellent results with him bullet cam with a fish eye lens (which is a must)

There is a lot more baggage but the results where very very good.. Martin is the chap to ask about cams.
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

I dont think this camera has any better res. than your mobile phone has now a days.
Go for the 4Kam 520 tv quality and plug into your cam.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
dave-mclaughlin
Chatty

Post by dave-mclaughlin »

Fingers wrote:Dave the money seems very right, the quality I would need to see. I would guess that it might be slightly disappointing.

Just found this thing even cheaper on firebox. £99!

And there's some video too of the thing strapped to a home made rocket at
http://videos.firebox.com/v/atcheadcam_pbarret.wmv

Not brilliant quality I'll grant you, but not bad for toy camera!!

Then again, the 4kam looks good too!. I don't have a video camera so would have to go with the solid state recorder - but the package comes in at £200.
Quality does look much better though, and 4 hours record time onto a 1GB SD card.......I'm so tempted!! http://www.4kam.com/
:D
Dave McLaughlin
Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum