Pilot Exams

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

Pilot Exams

Post by AlastairW »

I have in my grubby paw all of the pilot exam papers for this weeks exam.

Dont panic.... if you went to Ians lectures and have done a bit of reading you will have no problems.

Before you can be signed of however you need to have completed your pilot tasks..... if you look in the BHPA pilot log it has a list of what you need to do,
or alternativley look at:

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/members/documents/pilot_tasks.pdf

The paper lasts for 1hr 45 min. If you could be there at 6:30 we can get a good start before the meeting.

Myself, Ali Guthrie and John Wallis will be invigilating...... I like a nice bottle of red wine, as does John...... Mr Guthrie will drink meths, so he may be a cheaper option to bribe.....!

Only Joking Mr BHPA man!!
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

You will also need a ruler and pencil..... useful if you have to look at things like polar curves......
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Well done to all of those who took there Pilots and Advanced pilot exams last night.

The people whos answer sheets I saw certainly seemed to have done well.

And many thanks to Ian Miskin for all of the hard work put in in preparing people.... the lectures and the exam papers were extremely usefull!

:beer:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Feed Back

Post by John Wallis »

It would be good to hear from the pilots who took the exam last night what they thought of it. Was it what they expected or was it tougher than they thought. Had they done enough home work etc. The feedback will be helpful to others thinking about taking it.

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Misk2
Mingling

Post by Misk2 »

The exam was longer than I thought - but that was probably something I should have known beforehand (bad preparation!). Some of the questions were harder than I thought they would be or phrased differently. The interpretation of synoptic charts etc was more in depth than I anticipated - but then I didn't manage to attend any of the lectures................

Glad its out the way (assuming its a pass....) - just got to finish the tasks now! :[]:

Thanks very much to the invigilators!
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I agree with Naomi, much longer than I anticipated. And as it's the first 'exam' I've sat since 'A Levels', I was well out of practice. I've always suffered from bad exam technique and found some of the answers difficult to interpret, and as usual I found myself 'blinded by the obvious' I found it difficult to concentrate for the length of time and moving between question paper and answer paper saw me put an answer in the wrong answer number a couple of times.
The questions on types of vario threw me, but the rest,,,,I hope....were ok.
Mind I did think I had done well on a couple of Ian's mock papers 00)
Would appreciate individual feedback if possible,,,,,not in the 'Public Section' or the 'Private Club Section',,,but very quietly, please. :8: :pain:
And once again, a huge thanks to Ian :beer:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

I agree with Naomi on this. Time seemed to rocket past an me thinking it was going to be relatively easier.
Thinking about some of the Q's i know i've answered wrongly on the ones i can remember.

Many thanks to Ian, Alistair x2, john for their time and preparation put into this.
See you in 4 months for the re-sit?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Steak House

Post by John Wallis »

The invigilators enjoy a hearty meal in front of the sweating peasants sitting their exams.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Claire Smith
Mingling

Post by Claire Smith »

Far far harder than I had anticipated. Lack of homework on my part I think. Thinking about it I wish I’d managed to do it before Christmas when Ian’s lectures were a little fresher in the mind.

Thanks to Ian, Ali, Alastair and John for their time, it was a long night and I probably would have still been sitting there now if there were no time limit on the paper!

I’d say with a little more homework than I managed it would be not too difficult for anyone thinking of going for the next step.

Tasks to do now, roll on some good weather!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Saturdays forecast

Post by John Wallis »

Can anyone remember one of the met questions last night where the chart said you had a low over Biscay and a high over Iceland (or near enough) what would the wind be in the UK....Answer easterlies. It can be seen on this Saturdays chart. Strange that!!!
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

peteski
Mingling

Post by peteski »

I found some of the questions hard .. and the time flew bye!!but thanks to all invoved ian ali & ali for setting it up and lecturing ,, thanks guys,,, mm hope i passed
ski
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

I Hate exams...Always Have Done Always Will Do !!

Well...the Advanced Pilot Exam from what I hear was not a lot different to the Pilots exam...Although the required Tasks are. (better check I've done them :sor: )

Similar to Brian..I always did have and it reoccured last night..Difficulty in enterpretation. On at least two questions I can think of I put the correct answer initially and quickly...and then went into Brain Overload and decided the question meant more than it did..changed it..then changed it again...Oh Lord :gu:

What ever the outcome....I have enjoyed and learnt alot from our lectures and revisions.

Once Again....Thanks alot Ian for your hard work and patience with us lot. Thanks Alistair and Sue for letting us invaid your home and drink your coffee.......Suppose I'd better get flying now :hphones:

K x