Alps this month?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

cookbot
Mingling

Alps this month?

Post by cookbot »

Hi all, it's time for my one month trip to the alps again. Heading to Annecy today, then making the rest up as I go. Anyone else going to be around?

Paul
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

If only. I hope you have a great time and keep us up to speed with your trip.
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

so, it's not as good as last year, but mananged the petit tour yesterday with a low cloud base limiting me. Also struggling with my wing/setup (nova ion 2). Although I'm on a stirup and on full bar across the lake, I'm still arriving much lower than everyone else meaning I have to waste time scraping around to get back up on the other side. Added 3kg of water to my harness, but still feel I'm lacking penetration onto wind as I've lost weight since I bought the wing I think.

Also managed to get fully into a cloud for the first time which has been something I've wanted to do. Didn't take long to want to come out on big ears though! Luckily it was really quiet where I was, so hardly any chance of collision, but my instruments have failed over here, so wasn't comfertable at all!

Well, 16 more days here to see if I can get a big tour done!
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Sounds like you are learning lots of good stuff. You will always think you are lower and worse than everybody else as we all think like that sometimes. It's hard to comment about your concerns so focus on the positives.
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

think I'll treat myself to the nova phantom and one of the seat less advance cocoon harness when I graduate, I loved that harness when I tried it last year. Soft comfy and stable.

Until then I think I need someone that knows more than I do to help adjust and set it all up!
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

So, moved to verbier and had a little hickup. Took the launch thermal to 3000mtr then was topping up on flat windward side with the mountain behind launch when I had a full collapse about 100mtr agl. I think my left side of the wing must have just caught the Lea side of the face I was figure of 8ing on and couldn't re inflate at all. Went in hard, but some how managed to roll it out and survive - it was just the 1 hour walk out that did most the damage.

Think the problem is I've lost nearly 15kg since buying the wing so I'm out the bottom of the weight range of 90-110kg, so I'm having to fly carrying water bottles to ballest up.

So a nova phantom and SIV are probably on my to do list when I get home!
Last edited by cookbot on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Blimey. You have me worried young man! Remember you are flying the big boys which takes a particular skill set. Local knowledge is incredibly important so I am hoping you have access to the locals micro climate knowledge. I think predictive text has garbled your message somewhat so not sure on how to comment. Respect for letting us know.
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

Edited, but my phone screen got cracked. I've borrowed a smaller wing, an ozone neo which is a low B but I'm well in the top half of the weight range for that. So much more stable on a flight last night , so will see how I get on today.

Luckily I'm flying with a guy who knows the area well and I'll be going up with one of the instructors who's got his swiss tandom exam coming up so he's going to show me around/do some exercises.
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

good to hear you walk away from a such a scary episode, enjoy the rest of your adventure, thanks for the post

livetrack24 GordonC
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

yes the alps this year has seen a very high incident serious life changing injuries and death. can be one of the most demanding places to fly in europe on the wrong day. i would not of been here today if the day of my accident i had no guide or others looking out for me.

you should have a minimum of Livetrack24 and maybe sport or delorme and make sure you check in and out. as having an accident is one thing but dying when you did not need to is another and why flying solo you should be tooled up.

be safe
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

scary stuff

Post by ron freeman »

Stick with the locals, don't fly in cloud ! throw your reserve if that low again
stay with the wing your most comfortable on and try to have fun and stay safe 8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

You must come and give us a chat about your flying on your, Hol. 8)
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

yes the alps this year has seen a very high incident serious life changing injuries and death.
WTF........................
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

I'll be coming the next monthly meeting. Is it this Wednesday at the usual place?
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Yes that's correct
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley