Murton Pike

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

steve-gill
Chatty

Murton Pike

Post by steve-gill »

Had a look out to Murton Pike last week while on the A66.
I was wondering for those who have flown it;
Do you park in the car park at the village and then carry up?
There is a nice track up the hill which would be fantastic for taking a hanglider up there, then taking the car back down to the car park. The gate has no lock on it BUT; There is a sign on the gate saying "No vehicular access" . It doesn't say by what authority and I heard somewhere that this is common grazing land.
I wouldn't want to drive through the gate and upset landowners/ shepherds mod etc, without checking first.
Anybody heard anything?
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Steve get in touch with Ed Cleasby I think he'll have your answer.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

hi steve I will forward you some emails as there seems to be a bit of an issue with the MOD. they own the hill but is pen access without HG and PG thogh recently there have been a few issues that is trying to be resolved.

we were there once when a shoot was coming down and they were army and did not have a problem with us going up but not sure what is going on now. I think it could be a case of calling them to say you are going to fly and that you are aware of the airspace around warop.
steve-gill
Chatty

Post by steve-gill »

Thanks Gary. I think this is worth me looking into as I'm struggling to get flying in a SW to SSW and the only other option seems to be to buy a 4x4 and go to Cross Fell.