the less we use it the less interest there is too look

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

the less we use it the less interest there is too look

Post by gary stenhouse »

the activity on the website is now at an all time low and is going to prevent those looking to join our club as pointless. the reason been if no ones posting or doing flying today they will think that no one flies in the club.
WhatsApp is great once flying has been arranged but it is possible alienating potential new comers as well as having everything private in the forums.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Flying today although grouped within the private section is still visible even when logged out as I have not changed the privacy yet. However it is vastly under used and I have been asked by some of the less active members in the club if the forums not used anymore and if people are not sharing flying info, hence ive added 2 or 3 people to whatsapp just recently.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

i don't think anyone is to blame other than WhatsApp this has done the same to the Cumbria's as well. though not on there chat but believe there is one ad why there flying today is never used.

the thing is if your not going on the website then its likely you will not ever check the sites use the xc League et.

now the xc League is a farce as no one is putting flights on to show currency or flight thinking for others to anylise.

as for name calling and cyber bullying is a joke that we have become that soft that we cant handle it as sticks and stones and all that.

the world is becoming embarrassing that it is a so called tragedy that someone did not like your picture Manchester is a tragedy and makes me feel sick at the thought.

prioritise anger but banter and discussion is only that and get over it as the forum was a better place when it had all of that, and why other club loved are site because of are name calling banter
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

We should try to use this forum. I for one will try but social media is so easy. Can whatsapp and the website be linked?
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Pretty much sums it up Gaz, without an active website the club cannot attract new members and new comers. Anyone looking to start flying will search the internet on how to get started and if the last flying today post is 6 months old, this club looks like its not flying.

To make flying today "private"! What's next, secret hand shakes, bat shite crazy lodge events, white cloaks and grand masters?

As for freedom of speech, people have differing points of view, its healthy, get offended, get over it.

I would also like to know if the domain name nhpc.org.uk is going to be transferred to the club or renewed. Before it runs out on 11-Nov-2017, what logical reason is there to let is expire and the clubs address since 11-Nov-2000 be lost?

Moderator edit:
Search nhpc.org.uk below

https://www.nominet.uk/whois/
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Where did the cyber bullying come from gary?

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

It was never the intention to make flying today private, there was some info on the new sites that wasn't to be on the public part of forum and got half way through sorting out. Like I say although it's grouped with private it does display public. As for the domain...... long story

07824 554735
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

colin keightley wrote:As for the domain...... long story
It's either renewed or transferred Colin, your the chairman, how is it a long story?
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

The demise of the Club Board I put at the door of whatsapp.

Nothing should be changed within the club without the say-so of the committee.

I agree with Brian Rowe about combining whatsap and our Board. Can we have an answer on this please.

I also whole-heartily agree with what Fingers says about the matter.

I think perhaps the reason why people do not post regarding XC flights is because there should be a handicap system for wings. It seems unfair that some members like myself flying superior wings receive the same points as pilots flying A/B wings.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I am unaware of a way of incorporating whatsapp into the forum. I maybe wrong but i think whatsapp is a standalone.

07824 554735
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Thank's for that Colin

It would have been wonderful for the club maybe one day!
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

RonDon wrote:Thank's for that Colin

It would have been wonderful for the club maybe one day!
Yes its possible to get whatsapp notifications, but this would require some work in development and updating the board.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Do you want to be payed,Steve, or do you still remember your friends. I will treat you to a, Pint and a pork pie with you and friends.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

PS, Be nice to see, Sam :)
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

I've never been much of a contributor to your board, but welcome that it is open and unrestricted to a non member. One of its strong points was/is the typical NE banter, plus the honest opinions and the fact you're a neighbouring club so it's always nice to get some insight into your thinking and what's going on.

Most clubs have a problem getting people to contribute to their forums outside the usual few. The CSC one isn't bad and can generate heated debate at times on all manner of subjects. The Dales one is pretty poor ..... however much we invite, goad, bullying or shame people into contributing - they don't. Again, it's the usual suspects. However, on the plus side we do know from our traffic figures that a lot visit and read. So ...... it's probably more use than we give it credit for.

Regarding the points raised about 'Flying Today' and the use of things like Whatsapp. I would say, aside from the usual few contributors, that all clubs have seen a decline in postings under 'Flying Today' or similar headings. They were set up well before Whatsapp/Telegram got going so their decline is understandable. However, they still perform a useful function for many pilots, especially the newer pilots who haven't got into the various app groups or aren't into techie stuff. My point on this would be that they don't necessarily perform quite the same function. The strength of the app is the ability to be selective in its conversations and immediate - from the drive, on the hill and especially during retrieve. BUT .... it can get cluttered with nonsense, it doesn't necessarily lead to good site decisions and it can lead to some pilots getting too lazy to make their own decisions.

Just to clarify that.

I'm a moderator of the 'Weasels' ..... it began as about 8 local, south Lakes/West Dales pilots just using it to get together to sort a site, transport, pub nights, retrieves etc. However, it has grown to approaching 60 with new requests coming every other day. Personally I wished to restrict it geographically to a boundary, but that was over-ruled and it has spread way beyond any boundary and is in danger of becoming out of control. In many ways it has gone the way of the forums ..... with many members, but few contributors. We have lots who listen in to our conversations and base their site choice on the usual core ..... it makes some pilots lazy and unable to think for themselves and it leads to lots turning up on our chosen site. (Probably explains why over 20 turned up at Murton last Wednesday).

To some extent we have begun moving to 'Weasels 2' ..... by that I mean more private conversations. It may sound selfish but it's easier to make a decision/our arrangements and non contributors don't really add anything, just leech off it.

For a halfway house check the Dales Shoutbox ..... short and to the point it works quite well. Like ALL systems it requires people to use it, not just read and piggyback. But, all the systems perform slightly differing roles and it always comes back to educating, encouraging and getting the shy masses to contribute. The other useful area I've always tried to push is flightlogs and post flight reflections ...... most don't mind writing about their flights and others enjoy reading them. For many it's the easy way into valuing and using a forum.

A rather unrelated subject ..... although linked into flying today it may point traffic back to that section of the forum. This something I've been pushing without success so far.

That a club nominate a weather guru and pays for a Topmeteo subscription (for them) - about £50 annually. Rasp is OK ..... but Topmeteo is a lot better.
Club run weather stations are expensive, unreliable and tied to a location and I can't see the point of them .... things like Wendy Windblows are now history and old tech.

The weather guru should have the responsibility of transferring key data to the 'Going Flying' section of the forum on any likely flying day ..... with the exception of naming a site. Any discussion that follows on - be that via forum or app is down to everyone else.

It's a thought.
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Hi aeros, thanks for taking the time to post this. One point I want to mention. As a club we agreed that we should encourage everybody to post their opinions on weather and site that might be flyable. Most people follow the experienced pilots and we all agree that is ok. We don't mind people leeching off us as I for one genuinely want others to fly and get the time in the air they are desperate for. It means we can advise and look out for them and ultimately it's safer. just saying....
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

RonDon wrote:Do you want to be payed,Steve, or do you still remember your friends. I will treat you to a, Pint and a pork pie with you and friends.
Come the end of November there will be no more nhpc.org.uk Ron. This web address will be suspended when it expires 11-Nov-2017, then after 3 months put on sale for anyone and there dog to buy. Because John Wallis refuses to renew it, apparently this has been discussed at length and the whole club knows about it?

Quite bizarre.
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

I only surf the web to check the weather and then communicate with mates via Watsapp. So, as Aeros states, why don't we develop a kicking weather page on the NHPC and that will generate the traffic.

My guess is that most people will, as I do, check through all the highlighted tags once they have arrived at the NHPC forum.

Is it possible to get notifications on your phone that a new post has been written on the forum?

Can we direct people who are thinking of taking up paragliding to our watsapp group?
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Come the end of November there will be no more nhpc.org.uk Ron. This web address will be suspended when it expires 11-Nov-2017, then after 3 months put on sale for anyone and there dog to buy. Because John Wallis refuses to renew it, apparently this has been discussed at length and the whole club knows about it?

Quite bizarre.
So you open your big mouth and you're wrong again. I'm in the process of trying to transfer the domain name to the Chairman which he is well aware of however it's not as simple as you would think. They are after the email I ordered it with which is God knows what but not my current one.It was bought through 123reg.com they have nothing to do with the transfer that's through nominet. I've emailed them for some help but haven't got back to me.

When I see statements like yours I don't know why I bother.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

John Wallis wrote:

Quite bizarre.
So you open your big mouth and you're wrong again. I'm in the process of trying to transfer the domain name to the Chairman which he is well aware of however it's not as simple as you would think. They are after the email I ordered it with which is God knows what but not my current one.It was bought through 123reg.com they have nothing to do with the transfer that's through nominet. I've emailed them for some help but haven't got back to me.

When I see statements like yours I don't know why I bother.
Very pleased to hear that. Its an easy process through Nominet. Please let me know if you need any help.
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

....well at least things are starting to get a little more interesting now, it's just the paragliding bit that's boring.
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

what i gather the Cumbria's throw out more dummies than we do so that's not bad, all things considered.

we have had the mad dog back on with some of his great literature so that is saying something.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Steve Marshall

Post by John Wallis »

Can you send me your current email address

jw.wallis@gmail.com
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Fingers
Regular

Re: Steve Marshall

Post by Fingers »

John Wallis wrote:Can you send me your current email address

jw.wallis@gmail.com
What do you need that for?
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I'm sending you the info from nominet you offered help I can't make head nor tail of it.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Ok, pm'd to you.