february meeting any thoughts

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

february meeting any thoughts

Post by gary stenhouse »

well as most know there was a serious incident with a very good outcome, however I don't think any of us know whet is the best plan of action if this is ever to happen to you hitten power lines.

so think if we can get all the relevant information for the correct procedure then it will be a worth while talk.

also ways of spotting them from above to make the best chance off missing them and knowing which way they cross and zig zag. also trying to make instant decisions when things change in the air and the best plan of action.

the flying season is here and we need to take care to make sure we all get through safe and sound
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Excellent idea Gary.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

As a matter of interest who pays for this power cut and the sub station going up in smoke because there will be a charge?

Plus should we be giving out the pilot of the month for a pilot that gets a good dragging. What sort of message is this sending out? It also devalues the award does it not? Will it be awarded for flying in hill fog next? or even worse electrocution :shock:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

agree with you john, pilot the month needs a rethink

livetrack24 GordonC
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I think with the autumn and winter flying it has been more a bout given it to anyone that managed to get flying rather than what it should be for. Outstanding flying etc but I think the pilot of the month is closer to the wooden spoon in golf
Trevor Robinson
Regular
Full Name: Trevor Robinson

Post by Trevor Robinson »

Would a "serious" award merit a silly hat?
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

in regards to the power surge I don't think the sub-station was connected, after speaking with Dave he did not see to worried. if Mark had been seriously or fatal then it would have been a problem for them.

may be worth asking experienced HG John Watson when he hit power lines as I think that was well documented, but imagine often the power companies may carry there own insurance. if the above does not there was a similar incident 16th December 2016 and was fully televised and did not here of big claims they were just glad the pilot only suffered minor injuries.
if they do come looking for money then this will be when you are glad your a member of the BHPA as the 5 million may be needed.

the good thing is the whole thing is documented with the BHPA CSC etc so everything will be in place if any claim is needed, but doubt it.

lets hope only good can come of this and others can learn about how you have to take every detail of the area when landing or taken off

cheers Gary
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Closer to the wooden spoon Gary I've always thought it was for a special fight or similar. Trevor in my opinion the hat should go if someone does something special the trophy should surely carry some merit a bit like your XC th Charter Hall. Below is the list of past pilot of the month awards some are outstanding just my thoughts topics for the Feb meeting were asked for so I gave some.

http://www.aviabird.net/public/POM_full.php
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

I think when there has been a good flight it has been rewarded however when it was a bit of ridge or less people have been rewarded it. Mad dog 3 times for ground handling let's be serious this was taken the piss not for his skills.
Sometimes the pilot of the month could be the person who tried the most like marks ground handling hownam. I watched from the air as he persevered in fresh winds and a big EN b wing and then landed and gave Hume a few pointers. He then took this on board and did not give up and then was rewarded with a nice flight. You don't become a good pilot without practice and sometimes been dragged about a field is where it begins in a safe environment.