radios, what to buy

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

chrisj900

radios, what to buy

Post by chrisj900 »

Hi all,

its about time i spent some pennies and finish kitting myself out. im looking for any radio that works and doesn't cost a fortune. Ali mentioned a puxing 888 and something about getting the right frequency which i am a bit unsure of. i have attached a link of one i found on ebay but am open to anything.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puxing-PX-888 ... 1328111775

on another note i am also looking for a small cockpit that will fit my advance success 3. i dont fancy anything bulky, just something that will let me view a vario and a phone. i cant see what else i would possibly need to carry requiring a huge compartment as there is more than enough room in the harness.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew Maltby
Regular

Post by Andrew Maltby »

Hi Chris,
I've been using a Baeofung radio for the last two seasons and found it very reliable simple to use and very clear. They're cheap £25 to £30, lots available.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

These are the ones Andrew refers to;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaoFeng-Pofun ... lgo=origal

I know you can get the older model cheaper and they will do the trick.
What you're looking for is the frequency, which on this one is 136-174/400-520MHz VHF/UHF, most clubs operate around the 143 region.
From there look at the power output on the signal to give more range, other than that you may want a speaker mic.
There's not much use for the other facilities on a radio other than the ability to receive on 2 channels if you want to do competitions (1 for the emergency channel)
If you want to go in helmet for speaker and transmit, which I wouldn't recommend as you can't get rid of the noise other people produce, I've got plenty of in helmet sets in the garage you can have.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
chrisj900

Post by chrisj900 »

Thanks guys,

that radio looks good enough and isnt going to break the bank. knowing my luck i will end up dropping it anyways :lol:

another checklist item sorted!! (y)
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Hi Chris

Post by ron freeman »

Hi Chris give me a call for any info on radios - new or second hand

Cheers Ron CFI Northumbria Airsports
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)