Club winch

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Club winch

Post by ron freeman »

The NYSW club have bought a Koch winch and I have just done a couple of days training a very keen bunch of pilots from the club to tow and operate the winch. They achieved over 55 launches in very light winds and there new operator was very good with great qualifications, he is a former paraglider pilot and a retired car mechanic, perfect !

I wonder if our club would be interested getting into this ?
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

funny thing is a lot of are club has had to join NYSC so I guess we all should have the same rights to share the use of the winch. also they do take full membership not reduced when you are a NHPC member making there bank account one of the biggest in the country
nickonanova
Mingling

Post by nickonanova »

Hi Gary, the winch will be available to all Members of the NYSC who hold the tow endorsment, we are trying to form a core of pilots and operator to start with, A group of us are undergoing the tow conversion training (at our own expence) to fulfill this core under Rons excellent tuition. As it stands at the moment we still need a CAA certified site to be able to tow high enough to finish the training.
It is hoped in the future to have a senior tow coach who will be able to sign off on tow conversions but that is for the future and will take time.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

When we looked at funding applications a tow was mentioned. I did a lot of work getting prices, courses etc.

When it came to the final decision to purchase one Ali and I were the only ones in favour, most said it would never be used as no one would do the winch operating and Ronnie said there wasn't anywhere in Northumberland that was suitable.

Consequently a bid for funding was not applied for.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

I have always supported the idea of a winch but like you said the general consensus was not very enthusiastic.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

>>>> he is a former paraglider pilot and a retired car mechanic, perfect !<<<<

I'm available at reasonable rates
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Winch flying opens up a whole world of new flying opportunities, as the only honorary flying member of the Xclent club I have first hand experience of this......bring on 2017!!!
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Wallis.....you are the man!!
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!