Funding expenditure

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Christine Nicholls
Chatty

Post by Christine Nicholls »

Hey Colin why would it be 'the wife' who knocked it off the table? :P only joking Ha!
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Ron, no criticism meant just, being aware of your experience and knowledge, would like to hear of any proposed solutions from you.

Fingers, sorry mate but I'm harbouring a little angst at the moment (I think it's related to the stress of making a purchase on behalf of the NHPC?), and I think it manifested itself as an attack on you. You know how the old saying goes of course... 'You hurt the ones you love', if I'm honest I actually want to swaddle you in blankets and feed you milk and biscuits..... but I can't come out and say that can I ...oops.

Ali
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Apology accepted Ali

You have been given £1500 to spend, the council don't care what you buy so long as they see a receipt for goods. They know nothing about paragliding. Once they give you it they are not taking it back, no one is coming out to regularly inspect any "pool" of equipment. Ever.

What has been absent here is any voice from new qualified people, which is a shame. I just recall a wind meter, radio and vario being the most important bit of kit missing. I can also say I would not have borrowed a £400 bit of kit that if I busted I would have to folk out the cash for. New pilots have more to worry about than very expensive gear.

Colin not everyone has house insurance and if they do they will have excess to pay.

Mind blowingly annoying my nonconformist radical views will poss to many people here, get over it. :)
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

We were all new pilots once hence we all have an input. We have some post EP pre CP pilots coming into the club at the minute but they probably dont know the things they need that they dont have hence the surprise further down the line. I too would be aprehensive about £400 peice of kit but we are not talking all singing all dancing and the £1500 wouldnt go very far if we were.

And just for info Fingers there are a lot of conditions on the money including what its spent on and they can ask for it back.

Bloody rebel :lol:
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

I think keep it simple a few wind metres radios various gps if can get at right price , I think at the end of the day we have to be careful.

If a new starter genuinely loses it then I guess we either hope they can replace it and if not have to stand the loss in the unlikely event.

It needs to be simple though as new pilots depending on there natural ability will not even feel they have the time to look at there gps.

So straight forward vario may be better and cheaper though live track do have small trackers that are very reasonable and that will log there flight.

I had a GPS day one but also done over 100 hours in my first year so maybe in the first 25 hours I would barely looked at it and given most will only do25 hours a year then vario like the 6015 maybe perfect
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

In terms of skill development your better off flying without a vario at first. The thing I'm aiming at is flight logging as a means of evidencing experience and for post flight analysis.

Will ask a few shops for their opinion.

Ali

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

With out vario first

Post by ron freeman »

Ali, when you take up gliding lessons you are taught to use a vario, airspeed, & altitude indicators from day one.

I teach my students to use a vario when they are ready for soaring and I can see a huge difference straight away in there soaring patterns and decision making.

I say get them on instruments asap then at a later date they can switch the vario off and try to feel the air for themselves because they now know what the vario is doing for them 8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

I must admit I do agree with ronny that the vario can improve your chances of staying in the air for longer and knowing your height above take off really helps.
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

There's an argument for and and against using a vario, e.g.

for
get you soaring sooner
can help you visualise where lift is

against
it can over stimulate distract from more import issues
you stop relying on 'feel' and observation skills

Personally I advocate switching it off every now and then e.g. when flying at the coast.

Ali

Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

"Mind blowingly annoying my nonconformist radical views will poss to many people here, get over it"

Really......more like 'mind numbingly boring and predictable views'. In fact I would go as far as saying that your monochromatic emaciated patter is probably making the the very binary aspects of the computer want to give up the will to live.

Oh and by the way.. you know I said that I was sorry? well I lied I'm not sorry at all, I just said that to stroke your ego and make you think that you are 'special'..... and you took the bait; moron. Truth be known you make beige look vibrant.

Ali

Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Ali Guthrie (aka Sad Northerner) wrote:"Mind blowingly annoying my nonconformist radical views will poss to many people here, get over it"

Really......more like 'mind numbingly boring and predictable views'. In fact I would go as far as saying that your monochromatic emaciated patter is probably making the the very binary aspects of the computer want to give up the will to live.

Oh and by the way.. you know I said that I was sorry? well I lied I'm not sorry at all, I just said that to stroke your ego and make you think that you are 'special'..... and you took the bait; moron. Truth be known you make beige look vibrant.

Ali
What sort of hysterical public out burst is that?.... Quite extraordinary, have a little dignity.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Hang on a second that was my best rant, it took me ages to write that, surely I deserve some sort retort, a thick ear or a clip across the back me head?

Just what does it take to wind you up now-a-days?

Your number one fan.

Ali

Nforster
Mingling

Post by Nforster »

as a returning pilot i think the biggest barrier to entry to paragliding is support not equipment . if the club loans out harnesses and wings it will be accepting some liability re airworthiness and will face recurring costs for servicing etc.
radios are £20
vario £100
gps/ data logger - already on your phone.

if there is any way that this money can be spent coaching/ mentoring/ advertising the club etc ( or giving it to ron ) then that might be the most useful way of using this money.

just my 2p
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

The money has to be spent in accordance of the original application (equipment pool for new pilots)

07824 554735
Nforster
Mingling

Post by Nforster »

buy a secondhand paramotor
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

The money is there to benefit all pilots, not to be used for a commercial venture or to support one.
If providing equipment which helps new pilots get into the air safely in your eyes provides an opportunity for litigation, then the purchase of a second hand paramotor, which are sold by unregulated businesses and flown by unqualified pilots would be a case of placing the noose around the neck and standing on an unstable cliff!
I presume your posts are tongue in cheek and intended to provoke reaction.

On a positive note, there are the new live data loggers that any pilot could borrow for holidays for example that could be purchased as a safety measure alongside a couple of radios and basic vario
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Nforster
Mingling

Post by Nforster »

yes im just joking about the paramotor-
i am all for enabling new uptake into the sport, i dont know if money or equipment is a barrier to entry, but i thinkits a great idea to increase participation. im really impressed that the club has got this funding- im sure it took a lot of time to sort it out.
£1500 could buy a wing and harness that would be flyable - and it could help some one starting- but i remember when i was training in 1998 it was approx £1000 to do the training- so anyone entering the sport already has to have reasonable means.
neil.m.hunter
Mingling

Post by neil.m.hunter »

I think that having equipment that newcomers to the club can borrow to enhance their flying experience is a great idea. in order to start things off i have an old brauniger IQ classic vario. in its day it was a top end vario but doesn't have GPS.it is in excellent condition and i will happily donate this to the club to loan out as they see fit. I don't have the instructions for it but they are available to download from the brauniger/flytec website. If you want the vario i will drop it off at garys workshop
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Hi Neil that would be great. Sorry for the slow response

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Cheers for the vario Neil we will put it to good use

07824 554735
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Nice one Neil, I'm sure it will be appreciated by many in the future.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01