Potential stupid question/ambition

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

cookbot
Mingling

Potential stupid question/ambition

Post by cookbot »

A few of you will know me as an infrequent flyer/club meet lurker as I don't get much time off from uni to go wind waiting. Anyway, I've got 6 weeks off for summer and I'm intending to head to the Alps in the camper and I'm thinking I could also take the paraglider.

As I'm a low(ish) hours club hill pilot, is the Alps a bit out my league? I'd love to go on a paid for guided, everything sorted trip, but student loans don't really allow for that!

I'm not really sure how to go about it all or should I just go lay on a beach and take my bike instead?

Thanks, Paul
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I would say take your glider but only fly in the morning or evening avoid the times of maximum convection.

John
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
RonDon
Regular

Bonny Lad !

Post by RonDon »

A very good place to go to is. Annecy in, France much you can do, Fly "Byk"walk nice places to stop at.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

Think I might have to practice my forward launches again being that I've not done them since my EP running around a field!
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

So this has been happening this last few day in prep for living in a van for a month. Don't think it looks too bad to say it's ikea kitchen furniture in a van!

Image[/img]
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Looks great. A month in a van going where you want sounds a real drag :wink:
P.S re glider.......always!!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Alarm !!!

Post by ron freeman »

Looks nice. Get a good alarm fitted if the low life's see you with pg equipment they will want it.. :(
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Trevor Robinson
Regular
Full Name: Trevor Robinson

Post by Trevor Robinson »

Big landing field at Doussard where plenty people are practicing forward launches and ground handling (away from the middle used by those landing) Also I found either brits or english speakers at launch more than willing to give local knowledge.
Plain Joux (think I spelt it right) just outside Chamonix a drive to the top, decent landing field and used a lot by low airtimers or those with a need to have a relaxing flight
enjoy and always pay more than 1 euro to ensure a quality bottle of wine!
cookbot
Mingling

Re: Alarm !!!

Post by cookbot »

ron freeman wrote:Looks nice. Get a good alarm fitted if the low life's see you with pg equipment they will want it.. :(
Is there quite a problem with breakins and thefts from campers there?
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

Trevor Robinson wrote:Big landing field at Doussard where plenty people are practicing forward launches and ground handling (away from the middle used by those landing) Also I found either brits or english speakers at launch more than willing to give local knowledge.
Plain Joux (think I spelt it right) just outside Chamonix a drive to the top, decent landing field and used a lot by low airtimers or those with a need to have a relaxing flight
enjoy and always pay more than 1 euro to ensure a quality bottle of wine!
I'm actually on the hunt for some english speakers before I go as I'm going on my own and will likely get bored of my own company :lol:

Might go up to the big field near the house and keep going til I can forward launch without going off track.

On another note, what are the local pilots and the shops like now we've pressed the brexit button? Are they awkward at the best of times for information?
Louis Dev
Mingling

Post by Louis Dev »

Most people in France are approachable if you try and speak a small bit of French. We had the motor home broken in to at St Hilaire near Grenoble. I wouldn't recommend flying at St Hilairebthough if you're a low air time pilot.
Annecy is a superb site to fly from, and you can do top to bottom all day. Practice your take offs as Foclaz is an extremely busy place.
Dune De Pyla near Bordeaux is a great place to learn to fly, also can quite busy though.
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

Well, that's the petit tour du lac done on the second day of flying, so might have a chilled one tomorrow as I'm pretty tired after that. Wishing I'd brought warmer hear though, it's freezing and my gloves are shocking!
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

So, I think it's coming to the end of my week here and must have amassed about 20 hours flying, if not more. I've put a link to my last and longest flight and was wondering if anyone has any critical analysis to give of it?

It was on my 5th day of flying and I wanted to carry on heading south, but lightning over Mt Blanc and a large cu ni forming over Annecy meant I wanted to head back sooner than anticipated!

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/1484412
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Welcome to the world of paragliding.....
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

That's a fantastic flight indeed we done a similar flight with Irwin and that's a a nice out and return
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

"That' "is" a fantastic flight,were you by yourself,
if you don't mind me asking How long have you been flying, Well done.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

Was just wondering if I'm thermalling wrong or anything. I'm working hard, weight shifting and using the outside brake to keep my turns flat and tight, but I struggle to go up compared to others sometimes.

That flight linked, I was on my own, although, there were quite a few people on rock de beouf. After that though, I was pretty much on my own and only saw 2 other pilots for miles.

I've been CP about 4 years now on an Ion 2 wing/N10 harness (which I don't like!). I did loads of flying when I lived in Brighton 3 years ago as Devils dyke was 5 min from my house, but since then, I've probably flown 3 times. Never thermaled before here though. Imagine I've probably got about 50 hours before I come out here too.

Had a pretty ambitious flight from Grand bonard too, but that ended up really short when I couldn't make the crossing to another ridge. Trying a Gin genie light 2 tomorrow and tried an ozone frenzy a few days ago - pod harnesses are a real comfort game changer for for me, so I think that has to be my next purchase.
Last edited by cookbot on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sad Northerner
Regular

Post by Sad Northerner »

Hi Cookbot

Hard to comment on your thermalling skills without flying and speaking with you. The trace you posted was impressive and demonstrated an ambitious attitude. This, combined with the fact you are thinking about your thermalling skills, tells me your going to develop into a very compedant pilot. My advise, at this moment, would be not to push yourself too hard and when you get the chance fly on feel I.e turn your vario off.

Hope this helps

Ali
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Do everything in moderation; except moderation which you should do to the MAX!!!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

hello

Post by ron freeman »

Hello, looked at your flight + height gains, I don't think there is much wrong with your flying skills. I read your last post 4years CP + 50hours, has any coach approached you and recommend that you should go for your Pilot rating ? its well worth doing and will answer a lot of the questions that you have. Keep up the good stuff 8)
Last edited by ron freeman on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
cookbot
Mingling

Post by cookbot »

Afraid I've never really though about going for my full pilot rating. Thing it's the next logical step though, I'll have to look at the criteria to ensure I'm able to do it!