Fellow pilot from Newcastle injured.

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Graeme
Chatty

Fellow pilot from Newcastle injured.

Post by Graeme »

I was in Ager last week with my good buddy Anth Braidford from Forest Hall. We both had a great week until Friday morning when Anth landed hard and broke his right foot badly.

Anth passed his CP a couple of years ago when working for grasmere YHA. He then moved over to the Alps where he worked as a driver and flew whenever he could. He returned home a couple of months ago then after a week or so flying over in Georgia he returned back home to Newcastle again and has been flying mainly with me, Gordon, Graeme G and Angus whenever he got the chance.

He was going to formally join NHPC this week after the week in Ager. Before Ager Anth completed his mandatory UK heavy goods safety course and was looking forward to working as a driver over the summer but has unfortunately broken his foot badly. A few hours after his accident on Friday morning last week he had an emergency op on his foot in Tremp hospital. He had multiple metatarsal fractures and bone fragments and the front of his foot was pushed into the back of it. They reshaped his foot and inserted 4 or 5 pins to keep it in place advising him to seek further advice from NHS. With the help of everyone concerned and J&S he managed to get a flight to Manchester the next day where I picked him up and took him home.

He's now been assessed by the NHS and awaits their diagnosis. It's possible he needs another op but has been told it's a complex injury and he's going no where for at least 2 months during which he can't weight bear, work or walk. The longer term outcome remains uncertain.

Anths a good lad, one of us, works hard to fund his adventures and is as keen a pilot as anyone - who in my view has been nothing but unlucky with this injury.

All his plans are now in a tatters and as you can imagine he's gutted this has happened at such a time.

So to show him some support can we set up a one off online donation for him?. He's truly hit hard times and I'm sure if a few of us can donate a tenner he'll appreciate this very much and spend it on his basic needs. I also hope such a gesture will galvanise his faith in the paragliding community - after all we are all fellow pilots chasing the same dream of free flight.

I'm not sure how best to go about setting this up but wonder if using the NHPC bank account t would be the best way?
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

i've a spare tenner, or a bottle of whisky to easy the pain.
bad luck anth get fit soon,

livetrack24 GordonC
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Speedy recovery Anth where do I send the money Graeme
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Graeme Gilroy
Regular
Full Name: Graeme Gilroy

Anth

Post by Graeme Gilroy »

Nothing worse than being laid up injured, Jeremy Kyle is enough to kill anyone off, il certainly donate something.

Graeme
it's a fine line between heaven and here
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

i was hoping the club account could be used to collect a whip-round then total proceeds at say end of this month are transferred to Anths account?

Should be a simple enough online process using a bank payment reference of something like 'Anth?

Or if you prefer cash maybe you could give it to someone who will it by bank transfer on your behalf?

Club then sends total onto Anth at end of month.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Get his account details and it goes straight in I wouldn't complicate it with club accounts he'll never get it.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Good idea, bank transfer is easiest.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

sorry to hear about his bad luck if you can get his bank details ill push a tenner in his direction
I HATE COMPUTERS
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Typically Anth was a bit unsure about receiving an online whip round but has eventually gratefully accepted that any donations made will help towards his immediate basic needs.

His bank account details are hsbc 40-34-18 / acc number 92109190.

Below is a photo of the pins in his foot before it was put in a cast and the other picture is of a brace he'd like to buy (approx. £100 on ebay) that is unavailable on the NHS.

Anth has a severe Lisfrank foot injury - not good - it will take a while for it to be right again. http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0701/p118.html
Attachments
leg brace.jpg
leg brace.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 17867 times
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG (120.5 KiB) Viewed 17867 times
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Get well soon fella.
AnthBraid

Post by AnthBraid »

Hello
I'd like to thank everyone for there support and very kind donations to my cause. I did buy an 'I-Walk' as pictured above, and it has made a quantum leap for me in terms of being able to get around the house and generally look after myself.
I was back in hospital yesterday with no real news, apart from - next week the pins will be removed and I'm guessing a scan to see whats going on.
As someone who pretty much lives for any sort of outdoor activity this is fairly tough. But it could always be worse!
Can't wait to get airborne again :-)
You and I could fly so high that we could kiss the sky