About PPG

A section for all those who are power.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Nforster
Mingling

About PPG

Post by Nforster »

Paramotoring is an accessible and fun way of power flying that offers the unique ability to transport a powered aircraft in the boot of a small car and launch from small spaces. Having a motor means you do not need to find hills or a tow to get airborne and you don't need thermals to keep airborne.
There are of course some downsides to having your personal motor such as noise, weight and a loss of a sense of soaring like a bird. So paramotoring is not for everyone.
In fact I would say that the only thing similar between free flight and paramotor is a similar looking wing.
Best conditions are calm light winds with little cumulus development.
Take offs are often forward launches and maximum take off wind speed is 10-12mph.
Paramotor engine and chassis weigh from 18-30kg so ground handling can be a challenge and some fitness is required.
Most paramotor wings have a lot of reflex and so have some inherent pitch stability. It is usual to cruise hands off on the brakes and use tip steering.

Having a motor gives 3D freedom in the air- to fly low and follow contours or at 10,000ft. This makes it very easy to encroach on airspace and breach air law. So training is essential, especially air law and navigation.

Cruise speed is 35-45kph. 2.5-6l fuel burn per hour. Tank sizes 10-12l

There are at least 3 'organisations' that claim to offer paramotor training.

BHPA - training consists of EP then CP power. Or a power conversion endorsement. There's not many BHPA power instructors around and I know of none locally. I did power conversion with flyspain and can highly recommend them.

PMC.org - Simon westmore set this up so he could become an instructor outside of BHPA. There's a few instructors mainly down south.

APPI- I don't know anything about this group

There's also the even darker side of training oneself with kit from eBay. I've met some of these types and generally are highly dangerous with poor risk awareness. Don't consider this, you will spend more on broken kit or injuries than you save in not having instruction.

There are frequent fly ins throughout the flying year as well as competition flying- which involves speed, navigation, economy and accuracy skill tasks. Slalom comps are no longer part of the classic comps due to high risk.

Paramotoring looks deceptively simple but it is significantly different from free flying and I would highly encourage formal conversion training if thinking of strapping on a motor.
Neil