What Do You THINK!

A section of our forum for CSC, NYSC and DHPC

Moderator: Club Moderators

RonDon
Regular

What Do You THINK!

Post by RonDon »

I have been looking at the CSC site for a while with a view to posting my thoughts on a weather site in the Lakes, but I was unable to find an appropriate facility for this.

However now that common sense has prevailed I am able to do this.

The CSC was formed to encourage and control PG and HG in the Lakes and I have felt for a long time that we should have a weather station in the Lakes. As I see it, the Club comes first, and I feel that the first call on the money which is raised through various events held in the Lake district should be used for this service which would benefit all flyers.

I would be pleased to hear what other members think about this.

RonDon.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

Spoke to the guys at Wendy Wind Blows a short while ago and they said they would love such a site. :)

They said the station has to be:

[u]
** Somewhere the public don't walk (they get vandalised immediately)
** Somewhere where the winds are relevant to flying (and each valley has its own wind system, so THAT is incredibly hard)
** Somewhere where we can get permission (and the Park authorities don't look kindly on erecting things on top of their hills, and the landowners aren't usually keen either)
** Somewhere where I can get 4WD access to erect and maintain the thing
*Either:

** Somewhere with power and phone line available (like a radio mast) - but these mast owners usually want £2000+ a year rental, which is totally uneconomic - we would never attract enough users to pay that sort of cost.

* *Or, a location where the station can be solar-powered, and data radio-telemetered down to somewhere like a farmhouse where mains and phone might be available. This can be up to 2 miles away, line-of-sight.
(You have to be able to SEE it from the hilltop where the station is).
*So, far, in years of trying, I've never found anywhere that met these requirements!
*If you know of anywhere, then please let me know!
[/u]

So lets keep our eyes open and our ears to the ground and sniff a solution. :)
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Hi Guys,

Great idea and one we have talked about many times. Unfortunately we have one major issue over here, planning permission with in the national park. There is not a hope of siting a weather station where it would be of any effect and is a complete non starter, sorry.

Recently even the police/emergancy services failed to get planning permission for hidden mast with in wood lands, never mind all the mobile phone companies that keep hassling for more masts.

One other point to consider is the multitude of different wind conditions we can get on any give day, sea breeze, wave e.t.c. making a weather station even less appealing and possibly miss leading.

For now though you are all most welcome to use me as your 'Gordie Windblows' on 07830281986.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

What about Hartside Summit? The wind direction will not be influenced by much? Both clubs could contribute? Surely the wind won't vary that much from the Lakes? 1900 ft ASL!! Power and telephone lines available.

Gordie Windblows??? You can get a dodgy forecast from this number :twisted:
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Hi
What about all the masts they put up for the fighter aircraft!
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Sad as it may be as i an on holls i feel quite flushed reading about the coming together of two great clubs. Perfec
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Hartside would be perfect John, everything there thats required including a road :wink:
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

But it's always blowing a hooley on Hartside even when most of the X-Fell ridge us soarable :twisted:

On the other hand, it might give a half reliable wind direction 8)
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Hi Ron,

What masts for fighter Jets do you mean?
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Likewise! What you on about Ron?!!
Cheers
Mike
Bob Sutherland
Chatty

Post by Bob Sutherland »

Check with the Glider club, they might let you put up the rig on their hanger. They seem a friendly bunch of lads and lassies and i'm sure would benefit from the rig also.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Like the Sound of that BOB!

RonDon :idea: :idea: :idea: