Helvelyn speed flying

All manner of video's that have been edited and created by the NHPC members

Moderator: Club Moderators

gordie
Regular

Helvelyn speed flying

Post by gordie »

Had my eye on a line from the top of Brown Cove craggs for a while, the one which usually stops many an x.c. at the ice cream van. Went to check it out today but the low cloud prevented me getting in the Crags section, still managed to do the bottom half with the gully run.

Left the music off the vid this time so you can hear the wind noise and fast bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_HMkVSzlD0

p.s. check out my left boot as I land!
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

cool but dangerous?!
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

Wow! (cache) little bit too much of that last tree for me! If you get it wrong, you sure don't give yourself many landing options on the way down - but I guess that's not really an option is it? Can you slope land one of those things?
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Fantastic stuff!!!!!

But it feels like the build up to that inevitable video we all love to watch between our fingers.

Dont ever point the finger at Gary and the likes of, YOUR MENTAL......
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Nothing like taking the simple safe option into the landing field! :lol:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Cheers guys glad I am keeping you on the end of your seats, I thing that is what speed flying is ment to do! Although I am close at times it is all judged, firstly by walking the route you intend to fly and sussing out your line of decent, secondly I am glad I have got 40 odd years of speed sports behind me like skiing, mountain biking and 20 odd years and over 4000hrs of flying paragliders of which a good few hundred hours spent wanging about close to the ground. Please see a new edit of this video Terry has done for the Anti Gravity team: http://vimeo.com/7918767

As for Gary, Fingers wasn't it you that went on and on at me to say something to him about his approach to flying, when I did not want to get involved :idea:
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

gordie wrote:Cheers guys glad I am keeping you on the end of your seats, I thing that is what speed flying is ment to do! Although I am close at times it is all judged, firstly by walking the route you intend to fly and sussing out your line of decent, secondly I am glad I have got 40 odd years of speed sports behind me like skiing, mountain biking and 20 odd years and over 4000hrs of flying paragliders of which a good few hundred hours spent wanging about close to the ground. Please see a new edit of this video Terry has done for the Anti Gravity team: http://vimeo.com/7918767

As for Gary, Fingers wasn't it you that went on and on at me to say something to him about his approach to flying, when I did not want to get involved :idea:
Gary had no experience then, I think he has considerably more now, but you still seem to be very judgemental of him. Having now seen this video I feel people in glass houses should not throw stones. You are acting in a far more dangerous manner than Gary ever has. People who base jump also have loads of experience, and many die. Your doing something that can catch you out no matter of your vast experience. I used to scrape my knee round corners, I have been on motorbikes since I was 11. This does not give me exemption from highsiding and getting spat off at 100 mph, does it?

None the less if I could be arsed to walk up there I would be doing the exact same thing.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Fair criticitsm Steve, ye I admit I have at times been critical of Gary (sorry Gary also). I suspect if we were all sat on a hill somewhere discussing the same things between us we would come to more understanding conclusions. Before all launching off on our weapons of choice and performing numerous stunts of course.

Anyway I blame my quick tounge this morning on my dodgy typing hand what is attached to a sore shoulder, which kept me awake some of the night and I admit made me a bit grumpy this morning. I have now had a nice walk and tea and biscuits and feel much more at peace with the world.

Peace and love to you all :*
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well after having a fly of the bob cat today in somewhat strong conditions i would say though can soar it looks a hell o a lot more fun having a fast decent.

i love your boot at the end with a few twiggs in it.

how long does it take to walk up to get the pleasure of the fly down, as with you and chris been half mountain goat i am wondering if the pain is worth the pleasure.

still had good laugh on bob today but why is it that when you get high you all of a sudden worry you are on a tiny wing still 5 minutes bob cat is like and hours flying.

cheers gary
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Give me...

Post by ron freeman »

Give me the hours flying anytime... I don't understand why you just can't appreciate flying for what it is 'brilliant' !

You should not need to push the limits of aviation to get your kicks... I do know one thing for certain after many years of flying microlights hanggliders paragliders plus power is... If you fly like hell you will soon get there !

I've lost five good friends (very skillfull) in flying accidents and all were caused because they thought they were invincible.

Gordie, your skill on one of those wings is exceptional and looks very exciting but for god sake give yourself a little bit more room for a mistake mate...

Happy safe flips.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

If we didn't push the boundaries we would never improve, get better or progress......Everyone to their own.

Stenhouse......You're Mental :D :twisted:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Push the boundries

Post by ron freeman »

John, your missing the point.. I'm not talking about pushing boundaries or progression. I'm talking about leaving yourself a decent safety margin for when it all goes wrong and as we all know at times it does !
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

i understand the conserns as this is a new sport and gives a new dimention to whats gone before.

its definately comes with risks and needs respect more than whats gone before as the speed is something alse.

but what is as good as any thing is jst playing and ground handling them as you can practice kiting up the hill fly down and then repeat and i must say doesn't arf keep you fit.

the beauty with aviation we are all different and for some of us any flying is better than no flying as long as you can keep safety margins and your skills sharp enough.

cheers ary
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Im all for staying safe but there are plenty of seriously dangerous sports out there were you may be killed, no one is kidding themselves that it wont happen its just down to the individual to make the decision if the resulting pleasure is worth that risk, your life is your own to do what you will with, who are we to stop them, only they will suffer the ultimate consequence. With the odd exception.

I mean most people I know think im a loon for flying a paraglider.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Bobcats = smiles
Ever seen anyone get off one without smiling?
Wish I still had mine, thanks for the fly Gary, it still made me smile! :) :)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Go boy go !! Speedflying is the new thang :idea: Just like paragliding was 20 years ago, but its just so much more exciting 8)
Everyone should have a go at it. Its not difficult just big fun and adrenaline
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Oh My God what's happening to all you sensible Northumbrians! First we had Chris 'Hurtle' then Brian 'Wehay' and now we've got Gary 'Speedhouse' who's ginger locks look like flames as he zooms past you. Don't do it guys as its not big or clever and its to bloody addictive :idea:

I understand that speed flying is not every bodies cup of tea and by definition not everybody should therefore try it. However there are many of us out there that love to challenge and develop ourselves in many different ways and for me speed flying provides this opportunity. I understand that my flying style may be viewed as cutting it fine but despite watching many scary things on t.v. I would never consider telling say Sebastian Lobe to slow down a bit or Jenson Button to give a bit more room in the bends. We all accept what we do when we do it, the skill is in knowing how far your abilities can take you and measuring where the boundries are. I would encourage you all to come to the speed flying talk in January as this will be an opportunity for me to explain all the different facets of this new a dynamic sport and allow you to then judge it with a more open mind.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

looking forward for the meeting but no boxing gloves :twisted: :twisted:

cheers gary
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

I too am looking forward to the talk, especially since I missed the first version - wonder if you'll change it any after this forum or present things in a different perspective?

I'm still asking Santa for Chris' bobcat, but I don't think it's going to happen. My lovely wife is turning the management of our finances over to me so I can see the reality of what I spend - oops.

So guess who'll be getting coal in their stocking this year.

So in the meantime I'll fulfill my fantasies by watching videos, er ... of Gordie ... um, on Speedwings.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

:D :D :D
Brian, you must fight this at every turn, this whole financial responsibility thing. Men and responsibility dont mix well, we are born children and should be allowed to remain so, use your guile, you can do it. Good luck mate :D
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

A man running a business, yes
A man running the country, yes
A man in charge of the defence of this country, yes
A man running the bank of England, maybe
A man running a bank, in question

A man running a house hold, what, with a lady still living there? your looking a nervous brake down in the face.

Face facts man, you give all the money to the woman, then she gives you pocket money, and anything else you can steal, or hide, or favour.

Please keep us informed Brian, this is a very good social experiment that needs to be documented fully as the results might help other men.
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Forgot to mention, really looking forward to Gordies talk.
Not sure about this speed flying thang, not sure if i have enough skill and judgement yet? But since i first seen it done on skis i knew i wanted to give it a go.
Although it looks tricky on skis, landing, cutting some turns, off again, over a cliff, back down more turns, great! I think doing this on my teles may be tricky too?
Always something to look forward to.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Jim Bittlestone wrote:I think doing this on my teles may be tricky too?
Always something to look forward to.
Go on Jim you know you want to :wink: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-YsiiJ2Ajo

Mind you these guys are pretty handy on the tele's, riding fakey at mac 10 :o

Done a bit of snow kiting on my tele's and it works well to. We are all so lucky to have been born in a time when there are so many toys to play with :)
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Great vid, some amazing camera work considering what they were doing. Those wings look mighty small tho?
I tried riding fakey last year but didn't enjoy it so much, I hired some twin tips for a day so it could have been the skis were crap, my skis felt much better and I was glad to get back on them.
Your vid on Grizedale with Steve looked like so much fun, big smiles all round.
We are truly blessed.
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

Jim Bittlestone wrote::D :D :D
Brian, you must fight this at every turn, this whole financial responsibility thing. Men and responsibility dont mix well, we are born children and should be allowed to remain so, use your guile, you can do it. Good luck mate :D
So far so good! I have a $200 gift certificate from my brother on Amazon and she just said I could spend it on what ever I want! But they don't sell speedwings on Amazon - I looked. :cry:

Amazon has silly things called books.
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Sell the voucher for cash? :o
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
bdoub
Mingling

Post by bdoub »

Can't - just spent it last night on a Hero HD Go Pro :o

Watch out Gordie, see if I can make some movies.
DaveB
Mingling

Post by DaveB »

Well,
I don't get on here much - but this post has got my interest............
I think there's alot of similarities between this paragliding malarky and my old sport of skydiving. (Ask Chris or Jan)

I started skydiving in 1983 and when I got (progressed) off of round parachutes and on to "square" ones it was like a mad mad leap into an unknown world - so fast, so scarey and "stand-up" landings!! That was on a 220sqFt canopy!!

Then I was one of the first in the country to get an eliptical canopy of approx 150sqFt having about 300 jumps under my belt by 1989. Well bloody hell!! I was ostricised, criticised and generally looked down upon by those old farts who didn't like change or modernisation - stay big, stay docile and STAY SAFE.
Well I DID stay safe but had a lot more fun doing it. Needless to say as soon as I had more experience I went down in size to a 130sqFt canopy - ooooooohhh HOW NAUGHTY!!!!! We even used to have races from deployment to landing - That's 2500ft to landing - I got 52 seconds one day.............

Well let me tell ya's - it didn't stop there - although I did (due to work and family ties after 21 years in the sport and no serious flying related injury).

"Hot" pilots are now flying 70sqFt canopies - yep that IS approx 7sqM and yep they are still flying safe - As Gordy says, know your limits and push them a little when you feel comfortable - yes people have died, yes people have been seriously injured, yes people will still die or be seriously injured BUT from these incidents we can all learn.

It is true that the worldwide majority of skydiving fatalities are on landing UNDER A PERFECTLY GOOD CANOPY!!!!! These are through pushing the limits - BUT Who is anyone to say we shouldn't have some fun pushing ourselves and our abilities through the games we play............
It is also true that skydivers have learned that if you push too far you die, and to be honest, seriously radical piloting has become a thing of the past - allbeit only a couple of years in the past - PEOPLE HAVE LEARNED

I believe speed flying is truly the way forward and it is bringing paraglider pilots, BASE jumpers and skydivers together in a brand-new game - Surely no bad thing!!

Let's all stay safe while we enjoy whatever method of flying we prefer.

Now Chris - When do I get a shot??????

Dave.

I remember a ski instructor telling me many years ago during a "bumps" class - "If you aint falling over - you aint pushing hard enough"!!!!!!

Here Here............