2012 SHPF Paragliding Gathering and Parachute Repack

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

Hey Folks,
Is already that time of the year! winter is upon us, and we need a free flying event to look forward to. The Scottish Hang Gliding and Paragliding Federation (SHPF) with the assistance of Sport Scotland is delighted to announce the 2012 SHPF Paragliding Gathering and Parachute Repack.

The venue is the super tested and weather proof Edinburgh International Climbing Arena (EICA) at Ratho (Edinburgh), a place to enjoy a day out with your family and/or friends. For directions http://www.eica-ratho.com/content/map-a ... ions/2431/ .

The dates.. Saturday 4th of February 2012 from 9:00AM to 19:00 PM.
The building provides the cream of indoor climbing walls which includes a 100mt long and a four storey high zipline where pilots can take a breath taking jump in order to test their reserve parachutes and reserve deployment skills over and over again in a controlled environment. http://vimeo.com/19582531

This event will provide you with the vital and very much necessary parachute deployment and parachute repack practice. Many pilots have already contacted SHPF to thank them for the good practice accrued during the event following a successful parachute deployment in a real life emergency.

In addition to a new more comfortable and double sized room for repacking your parachutes, there will be the assistance of experienced fellow pilots to repack your “chutes”. There will be also Free Flying workshops during the day at no additional cost for all registered participants. We want you to have a full day of polishing old and new skills, and get current, safe and ready for the new season just before the strong spring conditions.

Some of these workshops will be:

XC Clinic and Flying Tecnique by Triantophylos Gkikopoulos – Advance XC Serial Team member.

Speed Flying, the ABC, flying tecnique and courses by CFI Gordie Olliver (BHPA's first and only Speed Flying Instructor)

2 Line Paragliders – Design and Handling by Brendan Reid ( 2011 British Open Series, Open class best new comer)

Last but not least, arguably the best event of the day, 2011 X-Alps the toughest adventure race in the world. GB TEAM 1 for the 2011 X-Alps composed by Steve Nash and Richard Bungay will be providing us with an unforgettable presentation on their participation of the Red Bull X-Alps this year. Their talk counts with exclusive footage, conversations and images. This presentation is a unique opportunity to share with the protagonist the most clear and fascinating insight of the race.

Steve and Richard will also bring along most of their original ultra light – custom built gear for the race in order for you to see and touch some of the special material necessary to cover the whole length of the Alps, from end to end by foot or paragliding.

Needless to say how special is the participation of Richard Bungay in this presentation, a voice rarely heard, the voice of the ground crew and the possibility for us to learn of the multiple tasks he had to full fill to perfection for the overall benefit of Team GB.

More information will be coming in following weeks in the mean time..get the date marked on your calendar, get registered and join us for a great day!.

Saturday 4th of February 2012

Day event 09:00 to 17:30 (includes)

2 zipline jumps for Parachute testing (additional jumps available time permitting)
Parachute re-pack assigned areas and friendly re packing advice from experienced pilots.
XC Clinic and flying technique workshop.
Speed Flying , the ABC, flying technique and courses workshop.
2 liner Paragliders – Design and handling presentation
Discounts to Pilot's family and friends for the use of climbing wall, aerial park, etc
TOTAL £ 30,00

Evening event 18:00 to 19:30 (includes)

2011 X-Alps the toughest adventure race in the world. (Steve Nash and Richard Bungay)
TOTAL £5,00

Registration by bank transfer SHPF Bank details:

Bank of Scotland
Sort code 80-02-28
Account 00428340

For more info on payments contact SHPF Treasurer: Adrian Smith amsmith28@hotmail.com

Important: All “Day Event” registrations paid by bank transfer until Saturday the 28th of 2012 will benefit of free access to the exclusive X-Alps presentation by Steve Nash and Richard Bungay.

For all other information contact the event organizer:
Paolo Bellezze (SHPF Secretary)
purocabro@yahoo.es
Tel: +44 (0)7756206823
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

Post by chrisfozz »

Sounds like one not to be missed.
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

Chris!

Certainly not a day to be missed, specially been so close to New Castle. I think the idea of having such an impressive zipline to try out your parachute reserve deployment just at the end of winter, when the new season is about to begin..is a very much worth exercise. Also last year from 70 deployments we found 1 parachute not attached to the harness and 3 severe mal functions..

The line up opf speakers is pretty impressive too, but most of all, I think the Edinburgh International Climbing arena, is a pretty amazing venue both for pilots, and family attending with them..there is so much to do.

I hope we can see a few familiar faces, and spread the word specially with low airtime pilots for whom getting familiar with their gear is so important.

See you there!

Paolo
chrisfozz
Regular

repack

Post by chrisfozz »

Hi Paolo, I've booked up, look forward to seeing you there.
As the event finishes at 19.30 seems like it might be a good idea to have an NHPC stay over and enjoy a night out in Edinbrugh too, anyone else up for it?
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

Chris,

That's fantastic news!!
I am at the monet looking for accomodation. I had a deal with a beautiful local hostel with 24hs open bar!! but it closed down for this year!! it ws too good to last..

If you can hold on, please wait a little, as I may get us a good eal for all pilots to be on the same place. Deffinitely worth staing up. The idea will be to have all the speakers in the same hostel,. etc.

We could even plaan some activities for Sunday, we'll see how do things come up together.

Looking forward to see a Geordie team coming up to Edinburgh!!

All the best.!

Paolo
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Sounds great,,,,,,but that date,,,it rings a bell some how?????
Oh yes, it's my wedding anniversary!
Would you like to spend a romantic weekend in Edinburgh dear?
I think when the truth came out I may be thrown from the top of Ratho, without a rope or reserve. :oops:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

Happy Anniversary then.. ; ) see you up for the next one!
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

will bring it up at the meeting to see if there is any more takers to make a day of it cheers gary
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

Hi Gary!
Good to hear from you. Thank you for bringing the event to the committee and NHPC members' attention in your upcoming meeting.
I am at the moment waiting for reply from a hostel meters away from Waverley train station in order to book 30 beds for Saturday and 5 for Friday night.
The idea will be to crash there after the end of the last talk qhich will be given by Steve Nash and Richard Bungay on tehir X Alps experience.
There are three pubs on the same building where the hostel is located so..it should be a good night out too.

I shall keep you up to date with any updates soon.

Best regards.

Paolo
paolo
Mingling

Final Update - SHPF Paragliding Gathering 2012

Post by paolo »

Hello everybody!

Seems like the SHPF Paragliding Gathering 2012 will be a great success, thank you for your support! We have already more registred pilots than ever before and we are still a few days to go!!

I have atached a PDF file with all the latest updates and final program and time tables for the day. Our website will be updated as for example the Hostel we booked for the night is the Cowgate Turist Hostel instead of Backpackers as earlier advertised.

Patrick Holmes from UK Airsports will be volunteering his time to help us with the repacks as well as Loogan Nisbet and Dave Thomson. This year we are at the top floor on the Raeburn Suite which has a larger re packing area.

Gordie is coming along too and hopefully we shall together make enough noise about LCC to bring more highlanders down for the best UK Freeflying event of the year coing up in June as usual!

We manged to get a series of discounts for pilots and accompayning family or friends / see attached. There's a lot to do in EICA.

In the sense of accomodation we have still 4 places available and they are running out very quickly!. So please let me know if you will need any.

Looking forward to see yuo either here or at the LCC : )

Let's Rock!!

Paolo ((o]<
Attachments
Final Update - SHPF Paragliding Gathering 2012.pdf
(65.27 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
GlennP
Regular

repack

Post by GlennP »

any places left on the repack course?

glenn
You are only as good as your last flight........
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

Glenn,
Good day! This is actually not a repack course. WHat we have set up is a 4 storey indoor zipline, where to practice yuor rserve deployment. A very important practice indeed as you can feel how much strenght is need it and how does it feels when it opens. Basically is increasing your awareness of this life saving piece of kit.

There is also an allocated area to re pack chutes and friendly advice form other fellow pilots and 3 experienced repackers to help out, but the idea is you work through your repacking manual and get to do the job yourself, with some advice as need it / available.

You can then go and through your reserve again and check yuo 've got your repacking right!

PLaces ? yes registration for the evnt is stil open, but for accomodation on sat night we have only 4 places left.

Hope this helps.

Paolo
chrisfozz
Regular

repack

Post by chrisfozz »

I'm going, if anyone wants to share a lift give me a call.
chris
o77o66o1o65
GlennP
Regular

course

Post by GlennP »

i've signed up for it today. sent off the money via bank transfer. now i just have to find the manual for the reserve. ;)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Glen I thought you were selling up??
GlennP
Regular

potatoes

Post by GlennP »

I've flown once in about 14 months so I might as well have packed in.

Fancied a go on the zip wire with my reserve and repacking the reserve is a bonus.

My skills are pretty rusty to say the least. Been hoping for a few days at the coast to help sharpen my skills up. If I can't get out regularly then I will pack up as you need to stay current to be safe.
GlennP
Regular

thanks

Post by GlennP »

just wanted to say a BIG thanks to Paolo and the SHPF for a good day out yesterday.

Apologies to the guy doing the XC talk for 3 of us leaving during his presentation. We got the call for our zip wire. Really gutted I didnt hear rest of the Xc talk as it was all relevant to where i am with PGing at the moment.

Cheers

Glenn
chrisfozz
Regular

repack

Post by chrisfozz »

Yup, I agree with Glen, a really good day at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena. I had two tries on the zip wire and both times the reserve opened on the money. I did two repacks, first one with the help of Dave Thompson, thanks Dave and the second one I did myself.
I arrived late and so missed some of the presentations but stayed for the talk by Richard Bungay and Steve Nash on their efforts in the Red Bull Xalps. It was an interesting talk and gave a real flavour of what was involved, in particular I liked their description of how they worked together over what was a long and difficult event.
I had planed to stay over but after all this I was too knackered to face a night out in Edinburgh so whimpped out and drove home.
Many thanks to Paolo for making us all welcome and all the other people there helping out, making it well worth the trip.
I’ll be up for another go next year.
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

Hi guys, great experience at Ratho too :D

Trias was giving XC talk, and if you must miss a half - you should have missed the first one! Second half was much more practical.

Now, who was spreading rumours that we HGs are head-first nutters? :twisted: I had absolutely no buzz or adrenaline during this zip-line ride, probably because I've done it a few times before... Dr Bob appeared to be a bit shaken though :lol:
Cheele
Chatty

Post by Cheele »

Likewise had a great day, although I had more fear jumping off for the zip wire than taking off some big hills, good news is the reserve opened both times.
It was good to put faces to names as well.

Finally thanks for all the help re-packing my reserve especially to Patrick.

Cheers,

Noam