this weekend and hg comp

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

this weekend and hg comp

Post by gary stenhouse »

well i was thinking that there was little chance yet on further look i have seen a glimmer of hope.

the predictions for sunday are north west and average wind speeds. so i ask myself where can we get a good comp with safe landings and easy walk up no need for 4 wheel drive and the moorfoots comes to mind.

the question is would people to be wiling to travel that far if i could ok it with the local club i am sure ian would help. a hill that can offer over 10k ride run with lots of safe walk outs..

a long way off but you never know we could get a good one

cheers gary
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

well sunday is still looking promising for the moor foots though may have too much west in it.
though its unlikely to get a comp going as lack of interest those who are interested with a great site and posibly a great days flying,

who knows an xc back to the cheviots

cheers gary
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Gary

Looking at the forecast I'd say Sunday is not looking great for Moorfoots. There is a chance that it will be HGable on Broughton. I'd not drive far for it though as at the moment it looks like it could be on the wrong side of breezy for comfort.

Regarding using the Moorfoots I can't see any reason why your not all more than welcome. park sensibly, don't drop litter, leave the sheep alone etc..... I'd say the same goes for any site up here just use a local contact before you come.

If it changes for the better I'll give you a shout.

Cheers
Ian
Last edited by Misk on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

looking at the fell forcast for sunday it is giving 20-25 nw droping to 10-15 later with exelent vis and may be the odd snow whower. so looks like there could be the elusive clough head run on again brian,

we now need more north or more west if we stand a chance after seeing the weekend wheather i am feeling pretty hopefull for sunday if not for hg then pg.

cheers gary
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

well i am now very hopefull that we will get the comp done this weekend at cross fell as the wind is forecast to continualy drop and be more westerly. i think the safest direction to land a hg in. it may sound crazy but you only need to see the last few days and they have been bang on with the forecasts and bbc and met are given 10mph west wnw so long as west is the direction then we shoul be ok.

dont all rush to reply

cheers gary
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

just seen bbc and confirms sunday will be post cold frontal so if it is light enough the xc season may not be over after all

cheers gary
Sergey
Chatty

Post by Sergey »

So, forecast in Borders shows W turning WSW, weather being nicer in Northumbria for longer than up here in Scotland. More like all W in NHPC area and couding over a bit later.

If it's got to be in Scotland, I'd suggest Broughton. Good 4x4s should make it to the top, but softroaders on road tires will probably struggle after a week of rain. There's a quad somewhere but not sure we'll have access to it. But the day might finish early.

Don't you guys have a nice westerly site? I would rather drive a bit further S or SE than sit in the car under drizzle.

How about XFell?
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

hi segey cross fell is at the moment top choice but it could be wnw though hoping to go west. if this is not a choice i may head straight to weather fell or clough head and will consider flying th hg if top end for pg on at clough. the truck is loaded with the hg and ready and wateredup.

are you out tommorow as i am heading out at 9am with a number of sites in mind and will make the final decision in the morning.

i will post in the morning where i am going though hoping for xfell, and i have spoken to warcop and i have to ring in the morning but so far the green light is on.

cheers gary