A good bank hol WE

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Colin Chapman
Mingling

A good bank hol WE

Post by Colin Chapman »

Well the camper invasion turned out to be me, wend & bill however it was still a great WE nevertheless. Sat saw us spend the night in the Fox with a nice meal and a few fizzies and as the camp site was full we had to spend the night in the carpark but hey it was free :)
Sun we headed over the lakes and arrived to howling winds but undeterred head off for a cracking bike ride and a tour of the flying sites (31 miles around carrick,bleeze and Jenkin) 5hrs later we were back and spent the night in keswick with a cracking Sunday roast and more beers.
Mon morn we headed upto the stone circle for brekki and spent the next 2 hrs guessing which site to fly as it was light and sort of easterlyish for want of a better word. Deciding on carrick we set up the hill for an extended top to bottom wih Tony B. and Wendy getting the best of day a grand or so above TO.
Not content with the bike ride the day before and the slog up carrick wend decided to bike to langwathby while me and bill chilled at the landing field before heading off to pick her up. A beer in the carts bog finished the WE nicely before heading home. So all in all not the best flying but still a great WE in the lakes hope the rest of you guys enjoyed you BHol WE too.

Col, Wend n Bill x
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

Monday at model, Lot’s of hang gliders having a good time, Dave Hume in with them all. Paragliders got off just after 2.pm, when the wind dropped you could fly all over.
Dave and I with some of the other cling-ons went down to the Blackwell Ox, for a small sherry. About 5.30pm still lots of wings in the sky, and still rolling up to have a go. Nice end to the, Hol.
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

Cracking afternoon at Marske/Saltburn too!!... i rekon some big coastal XC's would have been possible but only 2 of us there!!...so good fun all round by the sounds of it.
Cheers
Mike
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

Yep it was a superb day. Was up for about two hours, the first hour pleasant ridge soaring to hasty bank and back more times than I can remember, then just when I was thinking of landing the sky opened up and it was lifting everywhere. Everyone got to cloudbase at 1600 ato and Steve even got a little higher climbing up the side of the cloud. Was able to push out to the village in front of cringle, the furthest out front I've been at this site.

Sorry for missing the comp Ronnie but I didn't find out about it till too late as the notice was stuck away in the comps section of the forum which I don't normally check. If it had been on this section I would have seen it. In the event I'm really glad I went to Model though as I doubt that Moneylaws would have been as good as this.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Notice...

Post by ron freeman »

Dave, that the worst excuse I've ever heard 'notice stuck away in the comp's section' the NHPC hanggliding comp where else would you put it ? it a bit like posting club meeting info & sites status on the home section... hard to find eh !

look 6 post down in this section 'The Pub' NHPC hanggliding comp.....

Your hav'in a laugh mate.... :P
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Wendy Patterson
Mingling

Post by Wendy Patterson »

Sorry Ronnie have to agree with Dave, as the 1st reference to club comp was posted in The Pub and it was for Sunday not bank hol Monday. I would expect to look for further comp news to be posted in the pub or at least a reference to it, to say The comp was on and to look in comp section for further updates.

However I do apologise for not posting my involvement with the comp on the bank hol w/end, but I had already made plans to camp over wherever the weather looked best. As the conditions were looking bad for sunday thought it wasn't on, So we went to the sun on the west side not in the east.
I did check the forum for comp news before we set out on sat night at 6pm but still didn't see anything. But I'm mot making excuses for not coming as I could have driven all the way back from Keswick, calling at home to pick up my hg, then driven up to Northumberland but given that option I would have still gone to model ridge. A Club site which I am also a long serving club member of.
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Not forgetting although NYSC arrange the landing fields which we are very grateful for Model Ridge is a general use siteonly stipulation is you use the cafe
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
ron freeman
Seasoned

Excuses

Post by ron freeman »

Wendy, there has been lots of information posted about the comp in the Competition section and in the Pub section, Colin even posted a 'Sticky'

I also made a point of holding the comp on a Sunday because some members told me they work on Saturdays.

Colin K , cafe or not if you intend to fly the Model ridge on a regular basis you should support the local club.
Dave Hume
Chatty

Re: Notice...

Post by Dave Hume »

ron freeman wrote:Dave, that the worst excuse I've ever heard 'notice stuck away in the comp's section' the NHPC hanggliding comp where else would you put it ? it a bit like posting club meeting info & sites status on the home section... hard to find eh !

look 6 post down in this section 'The Pub' NHPC hanggliding comp.....

Your hav'in a laugh mate.... :P
Ronnie, every other club comp that has ever been has had something posted in the main section on the forum. I never look in the comps section as I'm not really that interested in comps but the club comp I always think of as an exception because it's usually good fun, and I think that's the way most people view it that way. All you needed was to put somehting in the pub section saying "club comp is on, see comps section".....simples!!

I would have been interested in going as I've never flown Moneylaws. How was the flying?

Dave
Misk
Regular

Re: Notice...

Post by Misk »

Dave Hume wrote:
How was the flying?

Dave
Ah! The killer blow Dave :)
ron freeman
Seasoned

Ok !

Post by ron freeman »

OK ! its my fault for putting the NHPC Comp in the comp section.. & the Pub section.. :lol:
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

It's nice to see a bit of banter again fact is this year hasn't just been tough on hangliding but it's been difficult getting paragliders together for comps and when it comes to posting unless you flood the forum and put up flashing neon signs with email reminders every hour there are always going to be people complaining

07824 554735
ron freeman
Seasoned

Slightly wrong Colin..

Post by ron freeman »

Colin, I dont think paragliding comps are suffering.. there were 18 club members took part in the home venue of the N54 come the away venues very few interested..

:roll:
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

I think that was just because Cross Fell happened to be the most likely flyable place that weekend, had it not i dont think as many would have turned up.

07824 554735
ron freeman
Seasoned

What about ?

Post by ron freeman »

What about the away venues then ?
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

at the dales there was 3 of are members and then quite a few came for the breefing of of the other clubs but it was blown out. come the night do and it was there anual bash and then there was 3 northumbrians 3dales and 2 wifes. so i think that given the number of hg pilots in the club the 2 was not a bad turn out, what i can not understand if you had picked the right site why did the two hg pilots not fly as it was flyable for low performance hg anf pg were flying.

cheers gary