lcc entry form

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

lcc entry form

Post by bill-scott »

I was filling in my entry for the lcc I was going to enter the A comp when I noticed that you have to have a gps with a usb lead what if your gps uses a serial lead :?: is this ok or does it mean you cannot play, or do you have to enter the B comp. help :!:
I HATE COMPUTERS
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

You'll need a USB to seriel converter and any software........

Basically we have PC's with usb only, and have massive time pressure to get score off.

Sorry

Steve
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

bill if your still using a garmin 12 you cant use it as it doesnt record height which is another condition also. And the A comp is DHV2 and higher
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

So is the B comp going to be none gps :?: and whats the cheapest gps you can get that use usb
I HATE COMPUTERS
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

the height recording is less critical for the types of tasks which are going to be set in the LCC. The rules around GPS basically are an import from other comps where height validation could be required.
Certainly if I was the LCC director this year(which I am not) I would not be applying this rule.
The LCC is afterall a fun comp and the use of GPS should be to make a competitor's and organisers lives easier.
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

so does that mean I can use my garmin12 with a serial to usb converter if there is such a thing
I HATE COMPUTERS
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

Bill, I may have the lead you need, failing that a gps you can use. If I enter I will be in the B comp.
Cheers
Jim
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Bill i have a usb lead and disk for the garmin 12 and i will be at the LCC

07824 554735
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

This is a little unclear
LCC wrote:A Comp: more experienced and seasoned pilots holding a minimum of pilot rating and flying ENB/DHV2 rated gliders and above and including open class. Pilots will also need to have a suitable GPS capable of recording height data. They should bring a data connection cable and ensure in advance that it can be read into GPSdump. The task format will not require turnpoints to be entered in advance or during the event.
It states a glider rating of EN B or DHV2 and higher but I thought EN B equivelant was DHV1-2 and EN C equivelent was DHV2

07824 554735
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Looks like a typo Colin....

You are right!
Aviation Consultant.......
Advance, Nova, Gin, Airwave, Ozone, Flytec, Sup Air, Woody Valley, Kortel..............................the list is endless!
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

As I wrote the entry criteria, perhaps I should clear up your confusion.

As most of you know I am fairly relaxed about applying "rules" so don't worry about taking everything too literally. I see the entries as they come in and if there are any problems we shall contact people individually .... or if you aren't sure then you're welcome to email me your querry. Yes .... it probably was a mistake to mix DHV (LTF) and EN .... more important is the pilot rating for entry to the A comp to ensure we are comfortable with the grade of pilot and to comply with the XC ethos of the A comp. The trouble is both glider ratings are still bandied around yet they are not the same and don't sit comfortably together. If I'd used EN then pilots with older glider's would have querried what theirs was as DHV1/2 and vice versa. Regard as an indicator.

If it helps: (but there are a few gliders that don't fit this exactly)

LTF/ DHV EN
(1) A/B
(1-2) B
(2) C
(2-3) D

Regarding gps use. Kitt is correct .... it isn't that important to record height in this area in this comp. However, most pilots now have a GPS or GPS/Vario that will record height so I'm only anticipating a few with a more basic Garmin. (You will be OK with your Garmin 12 then). It is important that we can get a tracklog. However, we don't have the bank of PC's aka the BPC etc ... with all the various leads .... some leads yes and that includes serial to usb. but it (we) will need the drivers installing (our job) ... you should therefore be OK. If you have a popular GPS/vario we probably will have the leads .... bringing them is a back-up precaution and easily enough done. What i would like people to do .... and i think most entering the A comp already do, is check that they can download a track from their unit into GPS dump. Finally, if you wish to bring your own laptop, download your track from that day yourself and provide a copy we can download during the scoring session from a memory stick .... that will be OK. We see every glider/pilot rating/gps BEFORE the event begins and can anticipate and sort any problems in advance.

The B comp will not require a GPS, they will be straightforward tasks in the old style. I would ideally probably like to make it gps use but the fact is many pilots at this level don't have them or are not that use to using them.

By all meams post your questions here .... but equally feel welcome to email me directly at : edcle1@tiscali.co.uk
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet
Aeros
Chatty

LCC changes

Post by Aeros »

OK ........ this is gonna make you wanna stick pins in me but I gotta bite the bullet.

As in previous years the LCC (A and B comp will be gps only); this was agreed last night and will enable better, easier and fairer scoring of tasks for ALL competitors. It does not have to record height; a simple Garmin 12 will do; you will not need to know anything beyond switching it on and off after your flight. This info' will go up on our LCC section of the CSC website shortly. Any entrants to the B comp I will mail personally for their gps info. Anyone who is really still pissed off and hasn't got one can borrow mine .... first come, first served ..... I'll even show you the on button.

Ed Cleasby
LCC Director
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Ed, my gps does not have an ON button, but it does have one that says "NO".

And the maps are always upside down on it?

What am I doing wrong??? :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

It obviously an Australian GPS :lol:
Last edited by Kitt Rudd on Sat May 08, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
Aeros
Chatty

Post by Aeros »

Probably acro manoeuvers ........ either that or you've caught Gary Stenhouse syndrome. Ok ..... just for you ...... press the NO button and turn device through 180 degree's. :wink: